Saints hire Darren Rizzi as Special Teams Coordinator

TheKillerNacho

https://whodatdish.com/2019/02/02/saints-shaking-special-teams-darren-rizzi-may-next/

After letting go of their two previous special teams coaches, Bradford Banta and Kevin O'Dea, the Saints bring on board former Dolphins STC Darren Rizzi.

Our special teams has always been fantastic under Rizzi. Many players were pushing for him to be named HC after Gase's departure. He'll do great work with the Saints. I'm sad we couldn't retain him.

Interesting. Our STs kicking and punt coverage unit was pretty strong this year. I’ll be interested in seeing some special trick plays that he and Payton can dial up, cause you know it’s coming.

We havent had a good kick or punt return game in years though. Maybe he can help us out there. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Our special teams had been as bad as our defense in those pre 2017 years.  We've been a lot better lately, but like someone else said, our return game has been almost nonexistent.

I remember Reggie Bush returning a punt for a TD 10+ years ago. Think that was the last time I saw an actual Saints kick return. Good times.

45 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

I remember Reggie Bush returning a punt for a TD 10+ years ago. Think that was the last time I saw an actual Saints kick return. Good times.

That may have been the last punt return TD we've had.  Sproles had a kick return, and Kamara had a kick return, but I can't remember any punt returns.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

That may have been the last punt return TD we've had.  Sproles had a kick return, and Kamara had a kick return, but I can't remember any punt returns.

DOH! I totally forgot about Kamara's kick off return for a TD.

I don't even remember Sproles return? His returns were always so abysmal that I think I've mentally blocked em all out.

Ya, punt returns. I think I've seen more 25 yard losses than returns in the last 10 years lol

5 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

DOH! I totally forgot about Kamara's kick off return for a TD.

I don't even remember Sproles return? His returns were always so abysmal that I think I've mentally blocked em all out.

Ya, punt returns. I think I've seen more 25 yard losses than returns in the last 10 years lol

Sproles had one against the PAckers in week 1 2011.  Come to think of it, I can't remember if it was a punt or kick return.  I had assumed kick return.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Sproles had one against the PAckers in week 1 2011.  Come to think of it, I can't remember if it was a punt or kick return.  I had assumed kick return.

Regardless, if we have to think THIS hard to remember a good return.........L M A O.

Here's to hoping Rizzi can sort this out and we can see some decent returns in the kicking game next year. 

Archived