Post Superb Owl Mock .... Hoot Hoot

GWH87

Fundamentals of this off season
Build a model that supports a strong run game, add RB depth, bulk up OL, add blocking depth, protect 12 to keep him productive. 
Defensive pressure and back end security will be focus. Need to blend guys that can get pressure, it doesn’t all have to come from premium edge talent.  

Cuts 
Perry (saves 3.3) cut Jun 1st
Time has come and past for him to produce, hasn’t been effective since his contract season
Graham (saves 5.3)
Rumors he may stay but I find it hard to see how he’s utilized in what LaFleur’s offense will look like, small cap savings to bring in a TE that fits, carry some dead cap but move the team forward. If not done then scrub this and the Stocker signing it a wash out, but Graham only used in certain packages due to no blocking skill or effort.
50m cap

Resign/Extend
Breelund 3yr 21m
Seems to have carved out a place in the secondary, pseudo leader that has made some plays. Give him a shot to keep our depth at a better than Davon House level.
Bulaga add 1yr + 5M to current deal (make remaining contract 6.5 per yr)
Some think he will be asked to bump inside, I think his level of play would be back to his standard if he can have a line mate to his left that is worth a damn. Drafting a G day 2 will help Bulaga get back to form and maybe even push him if Spriggs makes strides this off season
45m cap

FA
Dante Fowler 3yr 24m 
Twitchy edge, seems to have found something since the playoffs started. Whether its he found it or wants his pay day. Either way we targeted him before the trade deadline, offered for him but the Rams won out. Gute gets his guy now that helps spearhead the edge rotation.
Le’veon 3yr 39m (20m guaranteed)
Here’s where the boo birds come out, I am as big a fan of Jones as the rest of you. However the fact is that his MCL can’t be trusted so we bring in a piece that insures our backfield is fully stocked. Bell will be asked to do a lot of things but in the end the guys behind him will make sure he’s fresh for our playoff run.
Adrian Amos 3yr 24m
Consistent under the radar piece every secondary needs. May not make all the splash plays, but he however does tackle, leads the team when needed with effort and brings some steady hands to our back line unit
Luke Stocker 2yr 6m
Gadget TE that is brought in to block, provide Hockenson with the ropes of the system and line up as an H back at times. Not sexy but a good piece to bring in as we transition to the new offense due to his history of running it.
Golden Tate 2yr 12m
Let’s hear it boo birds?!! The why behind this pick is, blocking from the slot for our new run game, a heady veteran that knows how to play the game right. Clutch guy on 3rd down for 12 to find and move the chains. Has the tenacity and edge the coaching staff is looking for and will team with Tae to lead this young group of guys to better performances.
7m cap (sub 3m for rookies left over cap is 4m)

**Draft Trade 2(12) + Future 2nd to Indy for 2(2) & 2(26)

Draft
1(12) Devin White LB LSU
Our crown jewel of this draft, if he lasts till here he is the pick. I get ILB isn’t premium anymore, but White is more than that, he will shut down the over the middle pieces that consistently kill this team, he’s a terror in the run game and has the ability to blitz from anywhere at anytime with speed to make your eyes bleed. Pettine can’t stop smiling for good reason, he’s always wanted this type of player to scheme for. **All-Pro Caliber**
1(30) TJ Hockenson TE Iowa
Our offensive weapon of choice and investment needed. Blocks better than most NFL TEs which is a lost art, can come out of the backfield if needed as an H back. Great extended catch radius, seam destroyer and overall dominant TE. Keep in mind he’s a Soph doing all this, will be George Kittle but better which we’ve needed for far too long. **Pro-Bowl Caliber**
**2(2) Nasir Adderly S Deleware
Flyer on the back end we need so we trade up to get him, will be our backend cornerstone for a long time. Nick Collins 2.0, motor always runs hot, special teams ACE, former CB so can play slot assignments as needed. Great ball hawking ability which is what LaFleur & Pettine both want. **Pro-Bowl Alternate Caliber**
**2(26) Michael Deiter OL Wisconsin
Our OL of the future for the next decade, has phenomenal mobility and is a blocking bully in the second level. Great at setting, getting out to and reading how screens are developing which is a big part of our new scheme. Will continue the long line of All-Pro performers on OL from Whiskey. **10yrs of no worries**
3(11) Charles Omenihu Edge/DL Texas
Freak that will play similar to Julius Peppers in Pettine’s defense, can stand up and be a force, nasty first step, length makes him a beast vs the run. Depending on alignment will be hand in dirt or stand up as needed. Either way he will dominate and is the piece Pettine has needed up front. Our football Giannis! **Feast or famine type but used for his strengths / rotational depth**
4(12) Jalen Jelks Edge Oregon
Lighting twitch guy off the edge that really steadied his stock with his SR Bowl performance. Long and lanky with the ability to make him self small against the run to shut it down and slip blocks. Bends well through the edge, will take some development with his hands and adding some strength but great rotational guy **building our edge streaky type needed**
4(20) Keelan Doss WR UC Davis
Mini Tae in training here, he will learn from the best and show out similar to MVS this past season giving our WR group and coaches some competition to bread the success needed. Great with contested catches and yac which fits perfectly into the mold we need. Great WR body that will be physical enough to win matchups needed. Drew great reviews from SR Bowl. **could be a surprise with right coaching watch out MVS**
5(12) Darwin Thompson RB Utah St
This draft pick is insurance for Jones, that MCL is on thin ice and as much as we all love him this new scheme will ask more of him. Thompson is a cheat code and has some of the best running balance I’ve seen in recent memory, speed and agility are top notch. This guy might rise up boards but hoping we can snag him here, otherwise earlier in the draft would work. **3-4yr spark for offense when needed & KR/PR**
6(12) Ryan Bates OL Penn St
Swiss Army knife for the line and can blend in where needed outside of LT. Active feet needed with great hand usage, will need a year or so to add some strength to his anchor but will be an eventual starter at G by season 2 or 3. **depth challenger**
6(20) Maxx Crosby Edge Eastern Michigan
Making sure we have one edge rusher still that has long flowing locks. Will be a big play on special teams first but great guy for 5-10 snaps a game to bring fresh legs and get to the QB as he learns what’s needed in the league. Will always be a situational guy but a good one for what we need. Length, strong against the run and good leader. **depth needed to keep other legs fresh one of last roster spots**
7(12) Jordan Brown CB S Dakota St
Small school flyer on a PS guy that may get a crack to make the roster for Special teams. Size lines up well with league trends, held his own at the SR Bowl and with a year or two of development can become a functioning part of our secondary depth. (taking a flyer)

***board disclaimer, IF White is gone by our pick 1(12) then these picks all move up a spot in this draft ending after Jelks, we then use our 4(12) Pick on Terrell Hanks LB New Mexico St***

Roster
Arog, Kizer
Bell, Jones, Williams, Thompson
Stocker, Hockenson, Tonyon, Vitale
Tae, MVS, Tate, ESB, Allison, Doss, Kummy
Bahk, Linsley, Taylor, Bulaga, Deiter, Bates, Spriggs, Light

Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Adams, Omenihu, Lancaster
Fowler, Fackrell, JelksCrosby
White, Martinez, Burks, Morrison
Jaire, King, Jackson, Breelund, Tramon, Brown 
Amos, Adderley, Jones, Greene, Campbell

Crosby
Bradley
Scott

***on the fence with whether Gilbert makes this roster over an additional safety like Campbell but the Omenihu position flexibility means we keep a safety instead**

PS 
Allen Lazard 
Natrell Jamerson
Nico Siragusa
Jordan Brown
Tim Boyle
Donnerson

Let me have the opinions and criticism of this as always

Free agents are fine except Bell (too expensive and don't want him in the locker room) and Tate (I think we are fine at WR)

Draft would work for me.

Roster is good but I think Boyle has more upside than Kizer.  I think that Kizer stays number 2 so that he can be showcased in preseason to gain trade value prior to 2020 draft (hopefully he doesn't have to play in the regular season except mop up duty in blowout wins)

Not gonna lie, I hate pretty much everything about this mock. Fowler is actually not twitchy, he's just fast (93rd percentile speed scores, but 47th percentile Twitch and 21st percentile Agility). Signing Bell is beyond stupid. We saw this year with Conner, RBs don't matter, the OLs do. Don't ever sign a RB in FA to anything more than the minimum. They don't matter. Golden Tate isn't washed, but he's certainly well beyond it. If you want to target a WR in this FA class, there are much better options for similar AAV that you gave Tate. Spending 8M per on Amos doesn't make sense to me either. I'm very hesitant to give real money to a safety in a defense where he was surrounded by high-level talent. You spent 38M in AAV to sign a mediocre EDGE, a player with basically no positive value, a decent safety, a TE 2/3, and an old slot WR. This is a disaster of a FA period.

There is virtually no positional value to taking an OBLB at 12.

The rest of the draft is actually quite good though. A lot of guys I'm fans of.

EDIT: I completely missed the trade with IND, which makes no sense whatsoever for IND.

Yeah, I'm with rcon here. 

Not to pile one, but I don't see what you gain by cutting Graham and replacing him with Stocker and Hockenson. Rookie TEs are never productive, I think you'd be better off keeping Graham (he's still the number 2 option in this offense) and drafting Hockenson. If you want, sign Stocker to replace Lewis.

The Golden Tate move also bothered me. When I looked up the stats, I realized why: Cobb was actually more productive than Tate this season (although Tate was cheaper). For the production I'm gonna get from either of these guys, I'll take a rookie with more upside.

The Leveon Bell signing I'm unsure of. On the one hand, if you can make him expendable after the 2nd year, that might work out. I think I'd still rather have a rookie, but I'm open to this idea. 

After looking at that draft, I'm still shaky on our defense. I don't know much about White, but I would think EDGE would be the priority there (I don't know what the board looks like though). 

Um...isn't Graham coming back? Thought I read a report about it somewhere. Big reach on White in the 1st and I too want nothing to do with Bell. He's going to go to the Jets to be the Albert Haynesworth of RB's and be cut two years from now...

I do like the picks from Hockenson through Omenihu though.

We need a lesson in capital utilization. You spend 40m on a RB and then your first 4 picks are ILB, TE, S, OG.

The NFL is won by these positions: QB, OT, EDGE, CB. Please utilize your off-season capital accordingly. When you feel you are completely built up at those positions, then look to spend moderate amounts of capital at the remaining spots.

42 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We need a lesson in capital utilization. You spend 40m on a RB and then your first 4 picks are ILB, TE, S, OG.

The NFL is won by these positions: QB, OT, EDGE, CB. Please utilize your off-season capital accordingly. When you feel you are completely built up at those positions, then look to spend moderate amounts of capital at the remaining spots.

Wrong. As recent history has shown us, the NFL is won by: (a) playing in a division comprised of three other teams that haven't had even an average QB in the last 20 years thereby making division titles automatic and first-round byes highly probable year-after-year, (b) having a coach who mumbles during press conferences, (c) having a TE who parties too much and threatens to retire year after year; (d) having a QB who french-kisses his kids, and (e) occasionally secretly videotaping the other team practice and/or deflating a football or two.  

Archived