Leo Williams

jetfuel34

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets have "no plans" to trade DT Leonard Williams.

Williams' name was floated as a possible trade candidate by ESPN's Rich Cimini, but the Jets are quickly shutting that speculation down. According to Mehta, New York "wants Williams to be a part of its future and is amenable to signing him to a contract extension this year." Williams is due $14.2 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

Leo is here for the long run which is a good thing. He is a main part to this team I think. 

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets have "no plans" to trade DT Leonard Williams.

Williams' name was floated as a possible trade candidate by ESPN's Rich Cimini, but the Jets are quickly shutting that speculation down. According to Mehta, New York "wants Williams to be a part of its future and is amenable to signing him to a contract extension this year." Williams is due $14.2 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

Leo is here for the long run which is a good thing. He is a main part to this team I think. 

If we were staying in a 3-4 I would have liked us to listen to offers for him. But now switching to 4-3 I think he will make more of an impact.

Trade Him. If he bring backs a 2, you have more money to get a 3 tech like Sheldon, who is really good and now have another pick. Jets could end up with a better DL and a lot more picks with a trade down and smart moves. Problem is I don’t think Jets make this move, but it would be the smarter way to build this team. Mac has to start swallowing some pride.

The timing of this report should be noted. Gase was pretty much done building his coaching staff when he decided to go with Loggains around the 23rd. He said he would assess the current roster after he finishes setting up the coaching staff. It’s been 2 weeks. So they likely have finished reviewing the roster and decided Leo should stay.

We should probably start to hear other news. The Spencer along decision should be coming out today or tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The timing of this report should be noted. Gase was pretty much done building his coaching staff when he decided to go with Loggains around the 23rd. He said he would assess the current roster after he finishes setting up the coaching staff. It’s been 2 weeks. So they likely have finished reviewing the roster and decided Leo should stay.

We should probably start to hear other news. The Spencer along decision should be coming out today or tomorrow.

If Spencer long is still on this football team you can expect that line to be bad again. That dude sucked in Washington and there isn’t a word for how bad he was here. Forget the injury and for those who say he played well at guard, please know you are wrong he just wasn’t as horrible as he was at center. Cut him please. Cut Carpenter too. 

35 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think any Spencer Long decision needs to be made any time soon unless he has a roster bonus or something coming up that i don't know about.  I see them waiting until they have a replacement in hand to cut him.  

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If we were staying in a 3-4 I would have liked us to listen to offers for him. But now switching to 4-3 I think he will make more of an impact.

I tend to agree.  I was fine with trading him in the 3-4 as i see 3-4 linemen as being much less impactful other than a very few outliers (Watt).  In the 4-3, however, I think there is less cause for him to be 2 gapping and opening up opportunities for other people.  If he doesn't produce and show more with more 4 man fronts, that is when i start to become concerned with what he will be long term.  He's just gonna turn 25 before next season..... Shephard was 25 when we drafted him.  So he is still real young and interior DL last a lot longer than a RB.

11 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I don't think any Spencer Long decision needs to be made any time soon unless he has a roster bonus or something coming up that i don't know about.  I see them waiting until they have a replacement in hand to cut him.  .

$3M of his $6M becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day after the super bowl. I misread that. Unless he is cut today, he is essentially on our team.

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

$3M of his $6M becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day after the super bowl. I misread that. Unless he is cut today, he is essentially on our team.

I think he will stay with Jets.  His work ethic and intelligence are hard to ignore. Especially Gase and Loggains who are brainy.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I think he will stay with Jets.  His work ethic and intelligence are hard to ignore. Especially Gase and Loggains who are brainy.

It’s a tough decision. I mocked that we would let him go. But I’m starting to think keeping him is an ok decision. Ideally he is backup. 💰 $6M for a backup seems a bit high. I guess we can always cut him and eat the $3M.

There is no reason to trade him unless you are getting a good return back.  He is more valuable to us then he is to other teams most likely so you aren't getting equal value back.  In that situation you keep him considering we have stupid cap space and no great players to sign anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s a tough decision. I mocked that we would let him go. But I’m starting to think keeping him is an ok decision. Ideally he is backup. 💰 $6M for a backup seems a bit high. I guess we can always cut him and eat the $3M.

You dared to quote me after Jets actually dumped him?  How dare you!

Think Jets can bring him back at veteran wage?

I feel we should keep him this year unless as @NYJets4716says we get significant picks, which would, for me at least, be a first rounder. I seriously doubt that that happens so we eat his 14.2m contract and see how he fits in Williams defense. The real question for me is when do or if we extend him. His current salary puts him in the top ten of interior DLinemen. I have no problem with that so an extension of 4 years at 55-60 million is what i’d expect. If he’s looking for more than that I would have to see what he does this year and make a decision at or near the end of the year. I would love to pair him with Sheldon as our DTs. If we get a Bosa, Allen or Ferrell to play DE, we could have a top 5 D Line even with Jenkins or Basham at the other DE position.

Why are we acting like we can’t just sign someone to be at least as productive as he’s been while also picking up a decent draft pick. He’s going to get 14 mil, he is nowhere worth it, and we can find better DTs around the same age that hit the open market. He just is nowhere near as good as he was advertised and the scheme and the double team BS is exactly that. If this were the Pats, Leo is getting traded. 

Archived