Leo Williams

jetfuel34

2 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Leo was drafted by us.  We also will regret not taking care of the players we drafted and are model citizens.  Leo is young and still has upside.  Not smart to trade him at this point.

We said the same thing about Mo, who was way more productive at this point.

The talk about Aaron Donald needs to stop. No one is Aaron Donald but Aaron Donald. However, the point I'm trying to drive... 

• Donald was drafted in 2014, enters next season 28 years old. 
  • Williams was drafted in 2015, enters next season 25 years old. 

Williams is still extremely young, the sky is still the limit for him, and should be around for a long time. 

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I'm not 100% against keeping him, but it just depends on the price.  He isn't worth a top end contract at the moment.

The contract for one year does not really matter frankly.  We have plenty of cap space still.  If we signed him to that annual salary for 4-7 years I would agree. 

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

The talk about Aaron Donald needs to stop. No one is Aaron Donald but Aaron Donald. However, the point I'm trying to drive... 

• Donald was drafted in 2014, enters next season 28 years old. 
  • Williams was drafted in 2015, enters next season 25 years old. 

Williams is still extremely young, the sky is still the limit for him, and should be around for a long time. 

I agree with this. I will say that I'm 99% sure Williams never turns out to be Donald. But that doesn't mean he cant be good. For me I am one who criticized him. And I will continue to (if he doesn't improve). I was only pro fielding offers for him if it got us back a 1st Rounder and we were staying in the 3-4. He wont get us a 1st Rounder and we switched to a 4-3. Therefore I for sure want him to stay. If I were Leo though... I'd be working on losing weight and adding quickness and explosiveness this whole offseason. Will make him way more lethal. He's not just a run stuffer anymore in a 4-3. He should be sacking the QB (not just hurrying the QB  like he has in the past).

I just find it funny that people want to move your best DL guy who is not even 25 yet for a pick. Come on guys you are all wanting talent and when you have it you want to let it go. Don't you think at some point you should start to collect talent intend of draft picks. Once Leo signs his contract before the season starts we can put all this to bed. I was at the game week 17 at the Pats and he came out to warm up on fire. Yelling screaming. I stood up (5 rows back from end zone) and yelled "Leo". I had my Darnold jersey on and he looked up at me pointed at me yelling and banging his head. The man has energy and excitement no matter where he is. You want guys like this around. 

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with this. I will say that I'm 99% sure Williams never turns out to be Donald. But that doesn't mean he cant be good. For me I am one who criticized him. And I will continue to (if he doesn't improve). I was only pro fielding offers for him if it got us back a 1st Rounder and we were staying in the 3-4. He wont get us a 1st Rounder and we switched to a 4-3. Therefore I for sure want him to stay. If I were Leo though... I'd be working on losing weight and adding quickness and explosiveness this whole offseason. Will make him way more lethal. He's not just a run stuffer anymore in a 4-3. He should be sacking the QB (not just hurrying the QB  like he has in the past).

Could not a agree more man.  Leo does not have to be Donald to be an effective player.  Jets can play this two ways.  1) One year and see what he does in Williams scheme  or 2) look to extend him now hopefully at a discounted rate (certainly not close to his one year number)

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, rampantjet said:

Mostly because he has played all over the line with the Jets in both 3 and 4 man fronts.  Also you can put Aaron Donald in any formation, anywhere on the line and he is going to produce big time, coaching and scheme can only hold back a truly great player SO much.  Leo would have to be being held back a ridiculous amount for a slight switch in his usage to make the difference.  You might think Leo is getting doubled a lot since he is playing in a 3-4, but Aaron Donald got doubled at an even higher rate while playing in a 4-3 and still lit the world on fire.  Saying that a slight scheme change would make Leo a 20+ sack guy is madness, or extreme homerism.   

EVERY game I seen him play he was at LDE, and I saw every Jet game. Who every said hw was a 20 sack man a year. If he played DT he would give us pressure up the middle that we have been lacking for years. Moving from DE to DT is far more than a slight scheme change. Our defensive has not been able to get to the QB since Rex Ryan left.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

EVERY game I seen him play he was at LDE, and I saw every Jet game. Who every said hw was a 20 sack man a year. If he played DT he would give us pressure up the middle that we have been lacking for years. Moving from DE to DT is far more than a slight scheme change. Our defensive has not been able to get to the QB since Rex Ryan left.

We couldn’t even get to the QB WITH Rex, we just got pressure. Donnie Henderson’s D was the last time was had sack artists. Sad. Side note, LOVED Donnie H. 

Barr, Anderson, Leo, Bosa

or

Allen, Anderson, Leo, Flowers

Let's unleash something like that next year and if Leo is still a 5 sack guy we'll know his worth.  No more well he's the only good player so they double him talk.  It would be put up or shut up time and even then I wouldn't want to just not sign him back.  However, his next contract would reflect him for how he performs.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Are you forgetting Scott & Pace & Mo ? 

Pace was trash, good edge setter but had his best pass rushing year for us under Bowles, Mo was at just beat Under Bowles and Bart was a good Blitzer up the middle wouldn’t call him a pass rusher.

13 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Pace was trash, good edge setter but had his best pass rushing year for us under Bowles, Mo was at just beat Under Bowles and Bart was a good Blitzer up the middle wouldn’t call him a pass rusher.

Bottom line was they put a lot of heat on the QB's. This group of linebackers we have now where no where as good. Avery Williams is our only good LB

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Barr, Anderson, Leo, Bosa

or

Allen, Anderson, Leo, Flowers

Let's unleash something like that next year and if Leo is still a 5 sack guy we'll know his worth.  No more well he's the only good player so they double him talk.  It would be put up or shut up time and even then I wouldn't want to just not sign him back.  However, his next contract would reflect him for how he performs.

For me I think we go 2 Edges in FA. I think Robert Quinn coming here is very likely. Too many connections and is a typical buy low hoping to get high production type Macc signing. I think we go after another edge too. Bigger names for the other spot like Barr, Flowers, Fowler Jr, etc. and any other big names that might hit FA (although unlikely). Leaving edge not a HUGE need. And I guess that was point of saying I think we trade back even if the value is less. Trust me I wouldn't be pissed off at all if we drafted Allen or Bosa. But I think as far as team building in concerned... this roster would be far better IMO if we trade back and grab a 2nd and 3rd (and more next draft). Hypothetically lets say we draft Jawan Taylor with the trade back (sub in an OL you like Williams, Little or Dillard). And with the 2nd we grab lets say AJ Brown (sub in any WR you like here (Harmon, Brown, Campbell, etc). And then still have an additional 3rd this year (3 total 3rd Rounders) and maybe an additional 1st next year as well. For me adding Taylor, Brown a 3rd and an additional 1st next year is far more valuable then just adding Bosa. That's just my opinion though.

Archived