What did we learn from the Super Bowl?

HH650

1. It is good to have an accurate and game intelligent Quarterback.  Therefore, I think we are good going forward.

2. The great defensive tackle(s) did not win or dominate the game.  (Unless you mean Danny Shelton.)

3. Fast deep threat wide receivers did not win or dominate this game; a great possession receiver did.  Could Duke be the Browns equivalent in the slot?

4. Great coaching overcomes a lot of everything else. To be determined, but we do know what it is NOT to have great coaching.

5. Protecting the winning quarterback was very important.  Perhaps that is more important than a great defensive front.  (I do not have the answer to that).

Thank you for all wisdom and comments.

Browns fan since 1964; Jim Brown fan earler than that.

2 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Some of us already knew this but we learnt the moment was to big for Goff

Brady sucked too. Burying one of the youngest good QBs in the league like most people are doing is lame. Brees looked worse than Goff in the NFC-C and Brady looked on the same level.

Can't judge on one game. Goff has a hell of a career ahead of him.

4 hours ago, HH650 said:

1. It is good to have an accurate and game intelligent Quarterback.  Therefore, I think we are good going forward.

2. The great defensive tackle(s) did not win or dominate the game.  (Unless you mean Danny Shelton.)

3. Fast deep threat wide receivers did not win or dominate this game; a great possession receiver did.  Could Duke be the Browns equivalent in the slot?

4. Great coaching overcomes a lot of everything else. To be determined, but we do know what it is NOT to have great coaching.

5. Protecting the winning quarterback was very important.  Perhaps that is more important than a great defensive front.  (I do not have the answer to that).

Thank you for all wisdom and comments.

Browns fan since 1964; Jim Brown fan earler than that.

1. Yes

2. Donald was arguably the best player on the field. Pats offense sucked. He did everything possible to win. 

3. Dukes great. I think the lesson here is 'Rams are 100% scheme based and lack talent at offensive weapons and couldn't win matchups'. Rams win on coaching moreso than raw offensive talent. I think this is the same trap that faces us next year. Need playmakers at outside.

4. Yes

5. Yes. Protecting QB and playing decisive is key.

22 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Brady sucked too. Burying one of the youngest good QBs in the league like most people are doing is lame. Brees looked worse than Goff in the NFC-C and Brady looked on the same level.

Can't judge on one game. Goff has a hell of a career ahead of him.

Goff didn't have a particularly good game in any of the playoff games. He needs to improve his quick passing game or he will continue to struggle in big games. 

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

DTs don’t matter as much as they use to. This has been known for a few years but I think the casuals are learning that. That’s one of the big reasons I don’t want a DT in the first. Unless they’re Aaron Donald type then wait till the 2nd round. 

Are you implying Aaron Donald is worth a first?!?!?

He’s a DT ffs.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Donald is one of the few exceptions worth a first. DTs just aren’t that high picks anymore unless they rush the passer at a high level. 

I mean, duh, we don’t need to draft another Shelton in the first, but they’re definitely worth the pick if they’re good.

I’m guessing the number of DT’s drafted in round one this year will reflect that too.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

DTs just aren’t that high picks anymore unless they rush the passer at a high level.

That is the new normal for the position.

Think we can get one that can provide inside pressure in this draft.

Or get this guy:

0b128bacc526186d8d715df8fa4b43ba_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Here is a pretty good read that fits with this topic:

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/02/lousy-super-bowl-should-make-cleveland-browns-believe-even-more-doug-lesmerises.html

I disagree a bit with Lesmerises as to the degree of separation between them and us, and mostly on D.

Two things that stood out to me watching the SB were the quality of DB play and tackling on both sides.

We didn't compare coming out of last season.

Close those gaps through player acquisition and much better coaching and we are there.

Oh, and get a K, of course.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

DTs don’t matter as much as they use to. This has been known for a few years but I think the casuals are learning that. That’s one of the big reasons I don’t want a DT in the first. Unless they’re Aaron Donald type then wait till the 2nd round. 

If you go based on this game then you could argue that LBs are criminally underrated. Hightower and Van Noy dominated.

Archived