2019 - Oh, how we need an O-line

vike daddy

According to Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Vikings are considering moving left tackle Riley Reiff to guard.

The Vikings signed the former Lion to a five-year, $58.75 million contract in 2017, and he has struggled to live up to the expectations. He played through a foot injury last year which obviously didn’t help, but the 30-year-old struggled to protect their even-bigger investment at quarterback.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/05/vikings-could-be-moving-riley-reiff-to-guard/

a topic for how we address our biggest weakness this season, the fatties up front.

If Reiff is moved to LG, we definitely have a need for an OT and an OG. I guess it doesn't change much considering we need two new Guards if Reiff stays at OT. I don't think either Compton or Easton can play RG effectively. 

If Reiff and O'Neill are moved, are there any decent RT FA options worth breaking the bank for? I know we've been more focused on FA guards.

I wouldn't move Reiff.  While he's not a great LT, I don't see his skill set really translating to playing guard.  I would also wonder where this is coming from within the Vikings organization?  I would want my permanent OL coach making these decisions.  The thoughts of moving Reiff just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wouldn't move Reiff.  While he's not a great LT, I don't see his skill set really translating to playing guard.  I would also wonder where this is coming from within the Vikings organization?  I would want my permanent OL coach making these decisions.  The thoughts of moving Reiff just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I tend to agree. I'd only support moving Reiff to Guard if a much better Tackle prospect is available at 18. If we go OL at 18, Take the best OL available. Don't get too focused on a T or G.

I think Reiff to RT is more likely if the plan is to get O'Neill to LT.

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I tend to agree. I'd only support moving Reiff to Guard if a much better Tackle prospect is available at 18. If we go OL at 18, Take the best OL available. Don't get too focused on a T or G.

I think Reiff to RT is more likely if the plan is to get O'Neill to LT.

Yeah...I'm not to excited about O'Neill at LT either.  He seems to be developing into a very good RT...will moving him to the left stop or stunt that development.  It could...it certainly has happened before when trying to get a young player to take on a new position.

I don’t like the idea of moving O’Neill. If it ain’t broke and what not. However, I would wonder if a switch to a pure ZBS would make him a better fit at LT than Reiff. 

I agree that we should see how FA and the Draft play out before penciling Reiff in at OG(D O double G). 

I think O’Neil will probably stay at RT, but it could change depending on who we draft.  I don’t think the decision to move Reiff will be made until after the draft.  Reiff does have an out on his contract next year.  I think it’s more likely that a rookie would start at OG this year and then slide to LT next year, but either way would work I guess.  There are a lot of very good OT and OG prospects that will be available at our pick and I think it would make more sense to take an OT in round 1 since they are harder to find than OG and it will be a future need.

I started making a rough list of who I thought some of the OL prospects compared to this year.

Jonah Williams=Jake Matthews/Zack Martin (1st)

Greg Little=Laremy Tunsil/Taylor Lewan (1st)

Andre Dillard=Ronnie Stanley/Lane Johnson (1st)

Cody Ford=Brandon Scherff/Cam Robinson (1st)

Jawaan Taylor=Greg Robinson/Andre Smith (1st)

Dalton Risner=Cody Whitehair/Max Unger (Late 1st/Mid 2nd)

Mitch Hyatt=Joel Bitonio (3rd/4th)

I have to believe any talk from the Vikings organization about moving Reiff to guard exists almost exclusively to increase the fog heading into the draft so it isn't as obvious to other teams what the Vikings might actually be doing. As with everything coming from any team this time of year, take it with a huge grain of salt.

I do love the idea of getting a OT in the first round of the draft if the right guy is there. Although, I would more be thinking of having him take a red shirt year this year then I would be thinking of moving Reiff to guard.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Spencer Long was released apparently. Is he any good? Can play LG and C.

PFF said he was good on the interior when he blocked for Cousins in Washington, but has been absolutely awful in NY.  He and Sirles played on the same Husker line in college.  

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Why would anyone release a good OL though?

Those come so very few and far in between anymore.

Teams don't release really good OL, but they may release decent ones if they don't fit the scheme they are running and are over-priced, especially if they have an escape clause on the contract.  I don't know what the case is with Long but they did owe him a $3M roster bonus tomorrow, so they likely didn't want to pay it.  

Archived