2019 - Oh, how we need an O-line

vike daddy

Much like PCP, I've pounded the desk for high-round OL talent for several years now, since the Vikes let Hutch go elsewhere.   Maybe I was spoiled as I grew up and watch legends like Yary, White, Tinglehoff, Lowdermilk, Zimmerman, McDaniel and Birk . . . Jeff Christy was pretty good, as was Stuessie and Stringer.  We need a reliable, perennial ProBowl type OG or LT.  Then again, if he continues his ascent, who knows where O'Neill will top out?  For the record, I like Elflein at center, and I think his injury kicked his butt this year, and if he recovers, I think the line does better . . . if he's shown signs of not being able to recover or has become disgruntled behind locker room doors, then it's time to get a new C.  

Addressing the OLine through FA has failed miserably since the Hutch deal (a once in a lifetime event IMO).  The team has several youngsters that were injured early and shelved.  So, how do Easton, Collins and Isadora come back?  Do they click with the new O Line Coach and the OC?  

Unfortunately, as serviceable as Hill is, he's a back up, much like the others mentioned previously.  I like Hill . . . he's not the best with speed rushers, but ya feel like he's trustworthy -- most of the time.

So, use the 1st Rd pick on the best OG on your board.  Ya need a RG, and ya need a LG.  Use the 3rd or 4th Rd pick on another, if you don't think others will rise to the occasion.  Keep them healthy all year.  Let them build chemistry all off-season and through training camp.  Lastly avoid any other drama; although, it was just sad to lose Sparano so close to the season.

So, I'm not sure who gets picked where, but Risner, Dieter, Beau B. and Ford would be pre-combine candidates for early picks.  I also like Williams, Dillard and Taylor at OT if they go that route.  It'll be really interesting to see if that kid from Elon does well at the combine, like runs a 5.3 and benches 35 reps.  With that wingspan, plugging him at OG . . . might as well put Dixon or Allen (Larry) on his jersey in 5 years (j/k).  I'll say this, whoever they pick for OL, please have a mean streak, be nasty!

I'd say a small trade down to pick up another 3rd or 4th and double dip on OL would be great but I'd be worried about Seattle and or Houston right behind us snapping up 2 of the top prospects.

Resign Easton cheap, draft Risner, Ford, Lindstrom,  or Bradberry at 18, and grab another lineman in the 3rd or 4th

15 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I'd say a small trade down to pick up another 3rd or 4th and double dip on OL would be great but I'd be worried about Seattle and or Houston right behind us snapping up 2 of the top prospects.

Resign Easton cheap, draft Risner, Ford, Lindstrom,  or Bradberry at 18, and grab another lineman in the 3rd or 4th

It will be interesting to see what happens with Easton. Our medical staff obviously knows more about him than anyone else, so if we don't want him back then that doesn't bode well for his situation. Since I don't know how he is doing, I would prefer to resign Compton instead of him.

I am just hoping whatever they do actually works this time, because this FO has largely failed year after year on the OL.

Me?

I'd draft an OL in round 1 and three. I'd sign a good OL in FA, if possible. I'd consider dealing a DB to get more picks or an OL. Why? I don't think this team's defense is good enough to carry the team on its own. And, I don't see how they win a SB w/o better O.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived