Apex Legends (F2P BR)

Knowledge

I'm not saying I'm never playing this game or anything like that.  I will still play it and I've grown to like it more and more as I have played it.  I don't mind the trio squads as much as I initially did and I am a massive fan of Overwatch, which this game has clearly taken heavy influence from.  I'm excited to see what's next in terms of characters and how they will continue to balance and adjust the game.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:
10 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I had a nice long post typed out, but this isn't worth it. Enjoy grinding 100s of hours on NBA 2k's far worse myPlayer business model 

NBA 2K's business model is also terrible.  The difference between me and you is, I can clearly see what a bad business model is and you can't.  There's no need for your long post because you're wrong.

I think the difference between you and me is that I didn't say you're wrong, I just said I don't understand the hate towards the model. But I'll leave it at that. Glad you're enjoying the game more, I think it's really fun, especially for something I haven't paid anything for

• Like 2

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Fortnite implements new items in the game all the time.  They're constantly doing that, changing the map and adding tons of content all for free.  Nothing that impacts the game play cost any money.  The skins are the only thing that cost - which don't impact game play at all and EPIC is making a freaking killing on that game.  Apex Legends obviously isn't following that model because things that directly impact game play are hidden behind pay walls. 

I've already given an example of this in Overwatch.  Overwatch has a flat cost, but everything in that game over the past three years is not hidden behind pay walls.  Smite releases new characters, but they have an option to buy a pack for $29 that unlocks all current/future characters.  Those are two examples of games that add different characters to their game and have far superior business models.  So you don't even need to follow Fortnite; Fortnite just has the best business model out of them all.

Apex Legend's business model is just bad.

Wait until March. Thats when the first season pass starts and they may give a bundle out to unlock future characters ala Smite. Although with this game I dont feel like I'm missing content like I did In Smite. Smite you needed certain Gods to counter others. This game I dont feel that

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Wait until March. Thats when the first season pass starts and they may give a bundle out to unlock future characters ala Smite. Although with this game I dont feel like I'm missing content like I did In Smite. Smite you needed certain Gods to counter others. This game I dont feel that

It will be interesting to see how the Seasons Passes work. If you pay for the seasons pass and that comes with the new characters, then I think that is fine, as long as the characters are unlockable for those that don't purchase the pass.

The one issue I have with the micro's is how they have priced the Valentines day special items. I will never buy a cosmetic item, but the fact that they made the weapon camo 1100 and you can only buy the coins in groups of 1,000 or 2,000+ is just.... bad. I know they took some immediate heat on reddit and twitter for that last night

Edited by JBURGE

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It will be interesting to see how the Seasons Passes work. If you pay for the seasons pass and that comes with the new characters, then I think that is fine, as long as the characters are unlockable for those that don't purchase the pass.

The one issue I have with the micro's is how they have priced the Valentines day special items. I will never buy a cosmetic item, but the fact that they made the weapon camo 1100 and you can only buy the coins in groups of 1,000 or 2,000+ is just.... bad. I know they took some immediate heat on reddit and twitter for that last night

I feel like most games do that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I hate BR games but I found myself really enjoying this one for some reason. 

Probably because this one bridges the gap between BR and regular multiplayer games the most. Allowing re-spawns, having unique class based characters, and probably a bit of it being fresh and new

Edited by JBURGE

21 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Well, if they implement a system like Smite has then that would be great.  I'd have no problems with it.  Also, of course you don't feel like you're missing content in this game.  It literally just came out.  I'm assuming this game will remain successful for years.  Just imagine coming in as a new player after this game has been out for two years and there are 20 characters you have to unlock via in-game currency or real money.  That would suck for them.  But if there was a pack you could buy that would unlock all current and future characters, then I'm all for that.

20 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

One thing I wish they'd add is an Apex pack for winning a game.  If that's too much even just a pack that only contains one item.  I feel like none of these BR games reward you enough for actually coming in first.  

Yes!  This is one of my major complaints with this genre.  It seems like nobody has figured out how to implement a true competitive game mode in these games.  Even in Fortnite, when you come in first place for the first time during a season, you get a limited glider, but after that you get nothing.

I'd like to see a 'casual' game mode and then a 'competitive' game mode, kind of like Overwatch has.  I think something like that will really push the esports scene of these games to a new level (esports of tournaments, not viewers on Twitch).  The inherent problems with BR games, though, is that players are not created 'equal' when the game starts.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Yes!  This is one of my major complaints with this genre.  It seems like nobody has figured out how to implement a true competitive game mode in these games.  Even in Fortnite, when you come in first place for the first time during a season, you get a limited glider, but after that you get nothing.

I'd like to see a 'casual' game mode and then a 'competitive' game mode, kind of like Overwatch has.  I think something like that will really push the esports scene of these games to a new level (esports of tournaments, not viewers on Twitch).  The inherent problems with BR games, though, is that players are not created 'equal' when the game starts.

I tried watching that Fortnite tournament yesterday, it's just so incredibly terrible to watch competitively.  Literally nothing happens for the first few circles and barely anyone dies, then at the end it becomes a cluster**** of tunnel building and explosives.

At one point earlier in the game two teams were fighting and a third team was camped out in a house right next to the fight unwilling to even try to take part it in.  I'm not sure what the solution is but watching nothing happen for 80% of the round and then so much happen that you can't follow absolutely does not work. 

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

I tried watching that Fortnite tournament yesterday, it's just so incredibly terrible to watch competitively.  Literally nothing happens for the first few circles and barely anyone dies, then at the end it becomes a cluster**** of tunnel building and explosives.

At one point earlier in the game two teams were fighting and a third team was camped out in a house right next to the fight unwilling to even try to take part it in.  I'm not sure what the solution is but watching nothing happen for 80% of the round and then so much happen that you can't follow absolutely does not work. 

That's the problem with this entire genre.  Because you land with nothing, if someone gets lucky and gets a shotgun and you pick up a pistol you're at a huge disadvantage.  This genre depends so much on RNG.  All games have RNG, but BR games are often decided by RNG, which does not make for fun competitive games.

That's just the nature of the BR genre.

• Like 1