Apex Legends (F2P BR)

Knowledge

6 hours ago, Mossburg said:

That is a puzzling move, and while I like to think there's more than just greed involved, I think that really nails it. This game does not need to charge for anything other than the skins and loot boxes to be a ultra super duper mega hit. They're just trying to squeeze out the most the can. I think if this game maintains a big following, down the road it'll be harder for newer players to play when there are like 8 locked characters so the barrier to entry being anything more than 0 is going to hurt the product, especially if there are any other true F2P games out there competing.

IMO this game will die out slowly, but will maintain a good enough following. I think a lot of people are playing because everyone else is playing. I don't think it'll be a Fortnite over time. Plus I would bet on EA pulling some kind of crippling pay to win move to raise their shares that creates a viral shiz storm.

Yup.  The whole 'paying for characters as they are released' makes new players not want to play because there's so much content they don't have access to and it also makes it to where people like us need to constantly be playing the game.  If you take a few months break from this game, when you come back you'll be behind and missing pieces of content.

It's such a greedy approach to this game when what you said is 100% correct - all they need to monetize is cosmetics.

This was the #1 option that Blizzard decided to make Overwatch a game that people needed to buy.  They thought about making the game F2P and charging for characters as they release, but they ended scraping that idea because it's terrible for the consumer in pretty much every way. 

3 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Not like I didnt know this from reddit already, but damn, gamers are some of the hardest people to please in the world. Companies cant win with how they choose to do something. Props to Respawn for building a good game

Right...... Respawn isn't a charity. What happened to having to play to unlock things

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Right...... Respawn isn't a charity. What happened to having to play to unlock things

I think the system is absolutely fine. I've only played for 3 nights for a couple hours and already have enough to unlock a character

As far as a Fortnite killer it definitely has a chance to make a dent. My buddy I play online with said his son came home and asked to download it because all his friends at school are playing. He's 11.

25 million players in the first week. Over 2million concurrent and those numbers are probably higher now. 700k watching the first Twitch tourney. Season 1 starting in March with new characters being released. This game is going to do good for a very long time. F2P added with the speed and non stop action with minimal downtime in the game keep it exciting. Adding new characters and weapons will allow the gameplay to not stay stagnant. Respawn got them selves a winner here and I'm glad they do because that will put a lot of eyes towards Titanfall 3. Titanfall 2 was criminally underrated  

• Like 1

Downloading the game, curious to see what my thoughts on it are going to be. I've never played PUBG or Fornite, as me and my friends have been mostly playing Rainbow Six Siege for about a year and a half now, but we feel like a little change of scenery might freshen things up a bit.

I can't say much since I haven't played a single game yet, but the very fact that it's an EA game concerns me a bit, for obvious reasons that you guys already mentioned.

If you really want I think the founders pack gives you enough to buy both characters and have some coins left over.  On top of that it really doesn't take terribly long to get enough to unlock one of the characters and I'm about halfway to unlocking the second.  

Edited by flyers0909

15 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Not like I didnt know this from reddit already, but damn, gamers are some of the hardest people to please in the world. Companies cant win with how they choose to do something. Props to Respawn for building a good game

It's mainly because various games have proven to have a super successful model without putting any hard or soft walls into their games. It's not really a major complaint because you have a way to unlock for free, but you can't help but compare it to other games that don't do this. I've sunk several hundred dollars into DOTA2 over the years because I want to and didn't need to unlock anything. I'm not trying to say I want everything free or GFY. My point is more that they don't have to do this to be super successful because they'll make a killing just off the cosmetics, as proven by games far less successful than this one.

2 hours ago, Mossburg said:

It's mainly because various games have proven to have a super successful model without putting any hard or soft walls into their games. It's not really a major complaint because you have a way to unlock for free, but you can't help but compare it to other games that don't do this. I've sunk several hundred dollars into DOTA2 over the years because I want to and didn't need to unlock anything. I'm not trying to say I want everything free or GFY. My point is more that they don't have to do this to be super successful because they'll make a killing just off the cosmetics, as proven by games far less successful than this one.

I'm not a big fan of a free to play game or any game having things that directly impact game play being hidden behind paywalls.  The game just came out, so this isn't felt yet.  But a year from now, this is going to be the thing that will make brand new players not want to play the game. 

A game like League of Legends came out roughly a decade ago, so at the time making a game completely free to play and unlocking characters was kind of ground breaking in the gaming industry.  But today in 2019, that's pretty much the main reason why I don't want to try that game.  I saw one of my favorite Twitch streamers playing League and I decided to watch.  It looked fun, particularly the champion he was controlling.  I downloaded League and thought to myself, I want to try the game and play with that character.  Only to find out that character was locked.  As a new player, I obviously didn't have any in-game currency and I wasn't going to drop real money on the game.  Then I looked at the roster and there were so many champions locked, I just said to myself screw it, I'm not playing this game.

21 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not a big fan of a free to play game or any game having things that directly impact game play being hidden behind paywalls.  The game just came out, so this isn't felt yet.  But a year from now, this is going to be the thing that will make brand new players not want to play the game. 

A game like League of Legends came out roughly a decade ago, so at the time making a game completely free to play and unlocking characters was kind of ground breaking in the gaming industry.  But today in 2019, that's pretty much the main reason why I don't want to try that game.  I saw one of my favorite Twitch streamers playing League and I decided to watch.  It looked fun, particularly the champion he was controlling.  I downloaded League and thought to myself, I want to try the game and play with that character.  Only to find out that character was locked.  As a new player, I obviously didn't have any in-game currency and I wasn't going to drop real money on the game.  Then I looked at the roster and there were so many champions locked, I just said to myself screw it, I'm not playing this game.

Well, for people that like this game so much, maybe spending $40 on it to unlock characters is their preference. With no base cost, I don't see any issue with that. EA/Respawn will make money off of the people who choose to spend hundreds (and streamers who do thousands). I personally haven't spent anything yet, but if new characters come out in March and then again  a few months after, I have no problem dropping some money if I am still playing and enjoying it. I think it's a great model honestly

• Like 2

Just now, JBURGE said:

Well, for people that like this game so much, maybe spending $40 on it to unlock characters is their preference. With no base cost, I don't see any issue with that. EA/Respawn will make money off of the people who choose to spend hundreds (and streamers who do thousands). I personally haven't spent anything yet, but if new characters come out in March and then again  a few months after, I have no problem dropping some money if I am still playing and enjoying it. I think it's a great model honestly

Why would anyone have the preference of spending $40 to unlock characters when they should be free?  This isn't a great model.  Fortnite's model is a great model.

1 minute ago, showtime said:
2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Why would anyone have the preference of spending $40 to unlock characters when they should be free?  This isn't a great model.  Fortnite's model is a great model.

Why should they be free? Because you say so? Not every single game is going to copy Fortnite's model. Fortnite doesn't have different characters, just skins. This has little different than adding DLC characters at a cost, except this game has no base cost. 

Edited by JBURGE

Just now, JBURGE said:

Why should they be free? Because you say so? Not every single game is going to copy Fortnite's model. Fortnite doesn't have different characters, just skins. 

Fortnite implements new items in the game all the time.  They're constantly doing that, changing the map and adding tons of content all for free.  Nothing that impacts the game play cost any money.  The skins are the only thing that cost - which don't impact game play at all and EPIC is making a freaking killing on that game.  Apex Legends obviously isn't following that model because things that directly impact game play are hidden behind pay walls. 

I've already given an example of this in Overwatch.  Overwatch has a flat cost, but everything in that game over the past three years is not hidden behind pay walls.  Smite releases new characters, but they have an option to buy a pack for $29 that unlocks all current/future characters.  Those are two examples of games that add different characters to their game and have far superior business models.  So you don't even need to follow Fortnite; Fortnite just has the best business model out of them all.

Apex Legend's business model is just bad.

1 minute ago, showtime said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Why should they be free? Because you say so? Not every single game is going to copy Fortnite's model. Fortnite doesn't have different characters, just skins. 

Fortnite implements new items in the game all the time.  They're constantly doing that, changing the map and adding tons of content all for free.  Nothing that impacts the game play cost any money.  The skins are the only thing that cost - which don't impact game play at all and EPIC is making a freaking killing on that game.  Apex Legends obviously isn't following that model because things that directly impact game play are hidden behind pay walls. 

I've already given an example of this in Overwatch.  Overwatch has a flat cost, but everything in that game over the past three years is not hidden behind pay walls.  Smite releases new characters, but they have an option to buy a pack for $29 that unlocks all current/future characters.  Those are two examples of games that add different characters to their game and have far superior business models.  So you don't even need to follow Fortnite; Fortnite just has the best business model out of them all.

Apex Legend's business model is just bad.

I had a nice long post typed out, but this isn't worth it. Enjoy grinding 100s of hours on NBA 2k's far worse myPlayer business model 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I had a nice long post typed out, but this isn't worth it. Enjoy grinding 100s of hours on NBA 2k's far worse myPlayer business model 

NBA 2K's business model is also terrible.  The difference between me and you is, I can clearly see what a bad business model is and you can't.  There's no need for your long post because you're wrong.