49ers hiring Wes Welker

NcFinest9erFan

Trent Taylor fans rejoice! who better to teach our young 5'9", 174 lb white slot receiver than the best 5'9" 185 lb white slot receiver to ever play the game? LOL

I like the idea of hiring a WR who made his money with good fundamentals and technique rather than physical/athletic ability. It means he knows the ins and outs of WR play and hopefully will be able to communicate those to young WRs (Bourne Im also looking at you)

I wonder how well he knows Antonio Brown... 

33 minutes ago, N4L said:

Trent Taylor fans rejoice! who better to teach our young 5'9", 174 lb white slot receiver than the best 5'9" 185 lb white slot receiver to ever play the game? LOL

To me, this is easily the biggest takeaway of the signing and I absolutely love it. Even if Welker isn't the WR coach, Trent Taylor should be handcuffed to him throughout 2019.

16 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Interesting since Mike Lafleur has been WR coach/passing game coordinator. Guessing he's going to be more apart of planning and will just be passing game coordinator.

Wouldn't be surprised to see LaFluer move over to coach the QBs for the depared Scangrello. I think LaFluer has coached QBs before, in some capacity and he knows the offense, inside and out...

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see LaFluer move over to coach the QBs for the depared Scangrello. I think LaFluer has coached QBs before, in some capacity and he knows the offense, inside and out...

We already hired our QB coach in Shane Day

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That's got to be dead in the water after today's report. If there's a smidge of truth, we aren't going near that after foster. 

just googled this... 

we really cant have nice things 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Hmmmm...some how I missed that. Didn't he coach TEs at his last stop. Strange hire but in Shanny I trust when it comes to everything offense related...

Yes. He's also coached offensive line in the past. He does have history as a Quarterback coach though. He was QB coach of Chicago in 2010

Can't hurt to add a guy like Welker. He has to be a good friend with Jimmy, right? The two must have worked together extensively. So when Wes is talking to young guys like Taylor and Pettis, he can tell them: "On this route, this is what Jimmy is going to look for, so adjust this way".

I wonder what the future holds for a guy like Welker in coaching. I feel like Belichik's coaching tree will end up being better through his former players than it will through his former coaches. Belichik is a smart and detailed guy who loves players who can think on their feet. So, someone like Welker or Mike Vrabel who can play the game in a very cerebral way and soak up information and details because great weapons, and turn out to be good at coaching because of it. Can't wait to see Pettis next year. Year 2, learning from his mistakes, hopefully staying healthy, having a full offseason of reps. We might not even need to add an Antonio Brown to be explosive. An improved Pettis, with a superhuman Kittle, that's already a good start. Add McKinnon and Juice, Goodwin's speed (if we could just take more deep shots), and that's a lot of options opponents will have to defend. 

Archived