TCMD 2019 GB Packer WAR ROOM

squire12

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:
13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Why not have some fun, see what we could get for Aaron Rodgers, @Outpost31

Unfortunately, the cost to trade Rodgers essentially means GB would have to cut multiple players to clear the dead cap hit from the signing bonus.

That's the point, full tank for Trevor Lawrence baby!!!

What do people think of inquiring about Mercilus? Scores out pretty well athletically (elite Speed 10, average or so everywhere else), and not a long commitment. Still wouldn't give up anything more than a day 3 pick, but at 7M or so, wouldn't be a huge cap hit.

13 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Bills and broncos both looking to trade down from 9 and 10. Could be interesting if the price isnt too bad

We'll have to monitor how the board is falling. Trade value chart says 12 and both 4s to move up to 9. 12 and one of our 4s to move up to 10.

14 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Bills and broncos both looking to trade down from 9 and 10. Could be interesting if the price isnt too bad

With how these drafts go, I bet there are QBs available there. Love to entertain it when it comes up, but I wouldn't make the deal before the pick is OTB

20 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

6 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

We'll have to monitor how the board is falling. Trade value chart says 12 and both 4s to move up to 9. 12 and one of our 4s to move up to 10.

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

With how these drafts go, I bet there are QBs available there. Love to entertain it when it comes up, but I wouldn't make the deal before the pick is OTB

Certainly something to monitor.  Would need to be a cheap trade up if the board is looking good.  Agree with @JBURGE  would not do it until the pick is on or nearing OTC

48 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

What do people think of inquiring about Mercilus? Scores out pretty well athletically (elite Speed 10, average or so everywhere else), and not a long commitment. Still wouldn't give up anything more than a day 3 pick, but at 7M or so, wouldn't be a huge cap hit.

that is one I think is worth looking into.  HOU has cap space, so they are likely not going to move him for cheap.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

that is one I think is worth looking into.  HOU has cap space, so they are likely not going to move him for cheap.

I think Mercilus' contract is pretty appropriate to his production, so I don't think there's a ton of value in him as an asset. If they wanted a day 2 pick, I would be a hard pass on that.

Just now, rcon14 said:

I think Mercilus' contract is pretty appropriate to his production, so I don't think there's a ton of value in him as an asset. If they wanted a day 2 pick, I would be a hard pass on that.

Agreed. There should be enough pass rushers that we can win one in free agency. Mercilus could be one. 

2 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I think we'd rather wait to see if Houston will be cut and i think we could find a cheaper, and perhaps better alternative to Vernon in FA AND not have to give up a pick.

Makes sense, but there is some risk there too in terms of securing his services on the open market
Here's my thinking on Houston. He doesn't have any guaranteed cash left , just a salary of $ 15M and $ 17 M over the next two seasons. The Chiefs have to eat the prorated signing bonus, so the acquiring team would only be on the hook for those 2 salaries listed above, not the full cap hit ( 21M)

https://overthecap.com/player/justin-houston/517/

By offering KC the Packers extra 4th , they recoup some value and the Packers don't have to compete on the open market for his services. At the time of the trade, he's going to want some bonus/guaranteed money. So you take his 2 years of non-guaranteed salary = $ 32 M.
You convert $ 10 M of that into a signing bonus and spread it out over 3 years.

You reduce his yearly cap hit, reduce his salaries and at that point, maybe his deal is more palatable.
You've also "shut out" the competition for his services by using the draft pick to keep him off the open market; at most you are competing with a couple of other franchises instead of the entire NFL.

His new cap hit would be more commensurate with his production, Houston gets some guaranteed money and adds a 3rd year to his overall deal.
KC recoups a mid- rounder for a guy they were gonna cut.

I have no insight into his current/future ability to rush the passer but he's "only" 30 years old. I think its a reasonable bet to suggest he will be more productive over the next 3 years than anybody you can draft in the middle of the 4th round. He fills a need and is ready to roll.
I'm suggesting using a non-traditional technique to secure his services and there's a win here for all 3 parties in this scenario.
This probably won't work for the purposes of the TCMD, but it might be a viable option in the real world. 

Just now, EirePacker said:

What are every1s thoughts on tanoh Kpassagnon.? Hes burried on the chiefs depth chart, cap hit is under 2mil and could probably be got for a mid round pick.

Hes not a game changer by any means but id see him as an upgrade over lowery and wilkerson.

Kpass has shown nothing to suggest he is anything more than a fringe roster player at this point. I would trade a 7th for him

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Makes sense, but there is some risk there too in terms of securing his services on the open market
Here's my thinking on Houston. He doesn't have any guaranteed cash left , just a salary of $ 15M and $ 17 M over the next two seasons. The Chiefs have to eat the prorated signing bonus, so the acquiring team would only be on the hook for those 2 salaries listed above, not the full cap hit ( 21M)

https://overthecap.com/player/justin-houston/517/

By offering KC the Packers extra 4th , they recoup some value and the Packers don't have to compete on the open market for his services. At the time of the trade, he's going to want some bonus/guaranteed money. So you take his 2 years of non-guaranteed salary = $ 32 M.
You convert $ 10 M of that into a signing bonus and spread it out over 3 years.

You reduce his yearly cap hit, reduce his salaries and at that point, maybe his deal is more palatable.
You've also "shut out" the competition for his services by using the draft pick to keep him off the open market; at most you are competing with a couple of other franchises instead of the entire NFL.

His new cap hit would be more commensurate with his production, Houston gets some guaranteed money and adds a 3rd year to his overall deal.
KC recoups a mid- rounder for a guy they were gonna cut.

I have no insight into his current/future ability to rush the passer but he's "only" 30 years old. I think its a reasonable bet to suggest he will be more productive over the next 3 years than anybody you can draft in the middle of the 4th round. He fills a need and is ready to roll.
I'm suggesting using a non-traditional technique to secure his services and there's a win here for all 3 parties in this scenario.
This probably won't work for the purposes of the TCMD, but it might be a viable option in the real world. 

It probably comes down to draft pick valuation, but I think that latter 4th would be fine for something like this, IF and big IF, we could spread around the money like you've described.

1 minute ago, EirePacker said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a 5th rounder for a buy low on his potential type deal. Thought he took a few steps foward this year compatred to last

I don't see a lot of value there. Not sure there's a ton of potential here: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tanoh-kpassagnon?position=DL

And he's not getting any real reps in a KC front that could use some more good players.

Archived