National Signing Day 2.0

naptownskinsfan

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Then someone at a major publication is an idiot and I won’t go back there for my news

If the news source is one that does their own rankings then they likely don't acknowledge others which means it may be true based on theirs.

Interesting Clemson is ranking what 10th Nationally after destroying Alabama in the title game.  Thought more might climb on after that, but they arguably had the highest performing true freshman players last year and that class was ranked 7th Nationally.  Could easily say if there was a way too early 2021 mock draft Clemson would have three players in the top 5.  Going to change and probably not be that but still right now that is totally the case.

Texas is really doing well after a sound season, they should be pretty good next year.  And no clue how Michigan stays up that high, what 8th nationally when really no true freshman players on Michigan stood out much this past year and that team continues to blow it near the end of the season over and over.  Michigan is 0-6 in the last three years in the final two games of the season, terrible but obviously they can recruit, will see if they can finally finish a season strong for once and helps Urban is gone I am sure.    

Strong showing for Bama though especially after the title game loss, see which OL and DL turn out to help.  And Oregon of course, their highest rated class in a long long time I feel, will be really interesting how they play especially with such a stud QB coming back to school as well.

Not sure what is going on with Florida State.  They have really dropped as a program, a little bit last year with Jimbo but this past season with Willie they were awful at times and the QB situation is a big issue.  At least they have Blackman at QB with Francois off the team, Blackman is the only option but does have a ton of upside and talent.   At WR at least they got Tamorrion Terry who has some ability for sure and DJ Matthews who is a quick playmaker, and of course Cam Akers needs to step it up and show more of his talent and be more consistent.  On D they got some end talent in Joshua Kaindoh and Janarious Robinson but that is about it, and the DBs are solid possibly with Hamsah Nasirildeen, Stanford Samuels III, Asante Samuel Jr but will see if Levonta Taylor can finally play well.  That kid has tons of potential early on but has not played that great of late I feel, needs to have a great senior year to make that secondary back to what it should be.  That OL is awful though and how they did not address that or the QB depth I have no clue.  Some talk well of Taggart but I was never super impressed with him at USF or even at Oregon, he was great at Western Kentucky though but that is clearly a different level of play.  If he does not win and turn things around to a degree this next season would not be surprised to see him fired right away.

Sure last season they said and talked about the lack of culture and discipline on the team but honestly come on.  Jimbo was a great coach and brought that team a National Title.  And now look at what Jimbo is doing at A&M, to say the culture created by him is a bad one, yeah right a pro culture is a bad mentality to have.  Now individual leaders I cannot speak to that point of it but obviously something has happened there at Florida State and it shows on the field, will see if they can turn it around.  Maybe it was just the OL scheme change and system change, but Miami and Florida are obviously way above Florida State at this point in time in terms of talent and how the program looks.  

It will be interesting how Graham Mertz does at Wisconsin and how soon he plays.  They clearly have QB trouble but also do not have the best system either in terms of the passing game because the focus is running the ball and doubt that changes.  If he is more accurate than the rest that will be a big improvement but they rarely have productive QBs and really only have had one, and for them to call Russell Wilson a Wisconsin player only, yeah he was damn good long before he came to Wisconsin for one season.   Still the talent on D was not there last year like it has been in the past and will be possibly worse next year with Van Ginkel, Edwards, Connelly, Sagapolu and Dixon all gone they will have to really replace a lot.  All of those defensive guys were clear leaders of the team and without Van Ginkel on the edge their pass rush was pretty lacking big time compared to years past.  Chris Orr could be good and Loudermilk will be back healthy possibly but still they have a ton to fill.  It is a risky system for Mertz to pick because there are so many pass happy offenses out there and Wisconsin is simply not that, will see how he does for them.  

As far as FSU goes, the OL has been particularly bad over the past few years, and the O has been dysfunctional ever since (vs decent competition). Francois had a really nice season his first year as starting QB 3 seasons ago as a RS Fr. I think statistically, the defense is still fine, but when your offense can't move the ball too well, the opposing O gets more chances to score every game. I think the FSU D gave up 5.2 Yards per play, which isn't bad (same as Kentucky, BC, Auburn - better than Wisc.).

LSU with another top 5 class.

Heres the win % and ranking over the previous 4 years.

Alabama = 93%
UGA = 76%
LSU = 70%
Oklahoma = 85%
Ohio St = 89%

No.5 this year at most places. 1 qb recruit, hes a "Dual", which for us means, "Heres another that cant throw worth a lick."

All our troubles have centered around the qb position for over a decade. So in the past 2 years we nab 1 guy that if he didnt have speed, would be at Jax St or FAU.

And people think FSU has problems?

tenor.gif?itemid=5012096

Archived