TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

1 hour ago, Phire said:

But it's not an outside influence, if you saw the message after the credits.

I saw it but you're not getting my point. 

If you take the movie for just the story. Forget what you know about Marvel and forget the movies before or after or the extra scene. It's still a good movie with a good, adequate ending. That's all I'm saying. You're letting the fact that you know all these extra facts about upcoming movies cloud the way you view the ending. 

20 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

If you take the movie for just the story. Forget what you know about Marvel and forget the movies before or after or the extra scene. It's still a good movie with a good, adequate ending. That's all I'm saying. You're letting the fact that you know all these extra facts about upcoming movies cloud the way you view the ending. 

It is tough on the other end to separate what you  know about these characters already.

Like they use the built up love and time you've spent with a character to "cheat" in these more recent movies.

Like Captain America in this doesn't really do much if you haven't seen him before. But cause you have him showing up for the first time with that music swell, him seeing bucky again, him and black panther running side by side ...it works because of outside movies.

And it's fine by me, and I love it. It's just hard to really judge any of this in a vacuum entirely.

I think it was just a film we aren't use to seeing. It kinda challenges what we are trained to think of by other movies (like all of film, not just marvel) 
Like the good guys are supposed to win as the sun sets. This takes the traditional formula of a hero having to quest for relics to maintain their on version of their world (like stopping an apocalypse) and then succeeding with a happy-ish ending...and gave it to the Villain. And it worked because they gave him stakes, sacrifices and a viewpoint.

23 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

No I get your point completely. I agree the movie could standalone if you forced it to. It has a beginning, middle, and end. I'm just saying that's not how I viewed the movie, nor is that how Marvel wanted you to view the movie.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It is tough on the other end to separate what you  know about these characters already.

Like they use the built up love and time you've spent with a character to "cheat" in these more recent movies.

Like Captain America in this doesn't really do much if you haven't seen him before. But cause you have him showing up for the first time with that music swell, him seeing bucky again, him and black panther running side by side ...it works because of outside movies.

And it's fine by me, and I love it. It's just hard to really judge any of this in a vacuum entirely.

I think it was just a film we aren't use to seeing. It kinda challenges what we are trained to think of by other movies (like all of film, not just marvel) 
Like the good guys are supposed to win as the sun sets. This takes the traditional formula of a hero having to quest for relics to maintain their on version of their world (like stopping an apocalypse) and then succeeding with a happy-ish ending...and gave it to the Villain. And it worked because they gave him stakes, sacrifices and a viewpoint.

Surely. If the movie was played in a vacuum then you'd probably complain about a certain amount of character development. But even if you wanted to say this was the last movie, and counted the ones before it, Marvel will make in this saga, I still think it ends well. The Avengers weren't strong enough. Thanos beat the Hulk in a fist fight. Sometimes you just can't stop the inevitable. The "villain" won but isn't that just about perspective? 

And I agree with a the Thanos assessment. Which I think is why the movie works so well by itself. If that's really how the whole comic universe came to an end I'd have no qualms. A more than powerful foe acquired "weapons" that made him damn near omnipotent and wanted to wipe out half the universe's population because of an, albeit twisted, sense of  philanthropy and actually succeeded, then that would have worked for me. My only grudge with others, like @Phire, is that the ending only seemed unfinished due to perspective. Honestly, the movie told from a more pro Thanos viewpoint would have a movie about a hero willing to go to great cosmic lengths to achieve his dream of a universal utopian society while fighting a collective of powerful adversaries. I mean, can you really say the Avengers are on the right side of the fight? Thanos' plan is harsh and emotionless but it is greater good. 

I'm not a big fan of movies for the simple fact that their run time is so short it really doesn't give the opportunity to have a fleshed out story a lot of the time. TV Shows, at least have the opportunity to develop a deeper story with a lengthy plot. However sometimes they just run on for far too long.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, Danger said:

You live in Florida. What the truck is a winter?

Spring > Summer > Fall > Winter

Winter in Florida is glorious. It's sweater weather. You get to feel cold without snow.