Falcons to cut CB Robert Alford /signs with Cardinals

49erurtaza

not surprising. He was pretty good for a while, but he was awful this past year and expensive. he was pretty old when he was drafted too but at least he got the 2nd big contract, wish him luck going forward. Maybe even bring him back cheap if he doesnt find a good deal and get rid of poole.

Rocky is a good dude and plays hard i appreciate everything he done as a Falcon.  Although i will say he is a walking penalty at times but he also can make some amazing plays at random times as well.  If he was cheaper im pretty sure we would keep him and for the right price we would probably bring him back.  But at 8 mil he's not worth it and can for sure be upgraded or we could use that money on more important things like OL or DL.  We already got Oliver as his replacement and we could still have Poole, Blidi, and Kazee play CB as well for cheaper than him if we keep them.

Thats 1 of my 4 big cuts to free up cap space. 3 more to go and maybe 1 surprise one.

Reed, Schraeder, and Beasley as my big cuts and my 1 surprise one might be Fusco or Bryant.

Alford - 8.5 cap hit 1.2 dead cap -

Reed -  4.5 cap hit 940k dead cap -

Schraeder - June 1st cut - Gains around 4 mil cap space.

Beasley - 12.8 mil cap space if we release him.   Will be a more than likely resign to a new contract at much cheaper than 13 mil  Im thinking 5 to 7 a year and 1st year like 3 or 4 mil to free up 8 mil in cap space.

Fusco would save us about 3 to 4 mil in cap space  Bryant would save us around 3 to 4 mil as well.  But i doubt either of them get released.

So with 27 mil in cap as we sit gaining a extra 8 from rocky 7 from beasley 4 from reed and 4 from schrader.   We would go up to about 50 mil in cap space.    10 of that will probably be used on Grady Jarrett in his 1st year although he prob. gets 15 a year total avg.  Julio gets a new contract taking him from 13 to say 18 we prob. keep his cap hit the same or a little more the 1st year might lose 1 or 2 mil there.   

So in total we will have around 35 mil in cap to work with in FA  with needs at OGx2  DTx2  RT Power RB and depth at LB and CB

I could see us getting 1 big time legit tier 1 beast FA OL or DL then a very solid tier 2 fringe tier 1 guy.  then a few glue guys for depth and be done in FA. Then hit the trenches hard in the 1st 3 or 4 picks in the draft to finish our Lines on both sides and grab depth in the later rounds for other positions.

I'm surprised Cardinals went for him. He's definitely an asset on the D, but thought they would be reinforcing their offense with any sizeable deals. They're definitely a team that can improve in a lot of positions, but they were the lowest scorers by some distance last season. 

Archived