Sign in to follow this  
kurgan

What exactly is the cap situation

Doing a mock offseason, and having a bit of trouble pinning down what our cap # actually is.

Seeing 6 mil, but I know we get 'credit' for Bell's non-reporting.  If the number is closer to $18 mil, that changes things.

That assumes that AB is still a Steeler.  I know the trade cancels out Bell's dead money, and then his salary becomes cap room?

Anyone can shed a bit more light???

I have heard speculation that the number is going to be closer to 18 million. But then again the question is how much of that 18 million is Ben Roethlisberger's contract extension going to gobble up I'm going to assume most of it.

They have 19 mill right now...cutting Burnett and Gilbert gets them about $8mill...

Im assuming Dupree gets mid tier deal lowering $9.5 mill cap hit for this year...say down to $5 mill cap hit...so add $4.5 mill...

Extensions for Ben and Pouncey will create cap room...so add roughly $7-$8 mill...maybe even Haden since he’s counting for $12 mill against this year.

Steelers can be roughly $40 mill quite easily before starting on resigning their own...even resigning Foster, tendering Finney and resigning Sensabaugh cheap won’t eat up more than $6 mill against cap this year.

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

They have 19 mill right now...cutting Burnett and Gilbert gets them about $8mill...

Im assuming Dupree gets mid tier deal lowering $9.5 mill cap hit for this year...say down to $5 mill cap hit...so add $4.5 mill...

Extensions for Ben and Pouncey will create cap room...so add roughly $7-$8 mill...maybe even Haden since he’s counting for $12 mill against this year.

Steelers can be roughly $40 mill quite easily before starting on resigning their own...even resigning Foster, tendering Finney and resigning Sensabaugh cheap won’t eat up more than $6 mill against cap this year.

I wish they would just dump Dupree.    He isnt even worth half of that.    Admit the mistake and move on.

If we did everything you said, restructured Tuitt (if needed), extended Haden and cut Dupree...we could have near $50m.   I doubt we do all of that, but its possible.

To add to that if Coty Sensabaugh is still on the roster next season there is a serious issue

24 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

To add to that if Coty Sensabaugh is still on the roster next season there is a serious issue

?

Cheap vet depth who played decently...long as he’s not wk1 starter I don’t see the problem with him returning.

Add to that I've read that trading AB is a zero sum issue since the dead money would be made up with the money he would have made on the cap??  Is that right??

12 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Add to that I've read that trading AB is a zero sum issue since the dead money would be made up with the money he would have made on the cap??  Is that right??

They save $1 mill overall...he’ll still count $20 or so mill against cap this year then nothing beyond this year.

3 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

?

Cheap vet depth who played decently...long as he’s not wk1 starter I don’t see the problem with him returning.

I see a major problem with him returning he's a terrible corner. Did he actually play well? Or was out of secondary so bad that his play looked good just because it was better than everything else? Because if it's the latter that's not exactly a positive thing. For me I believe it is a latter

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I see a major problem with him returning he's a terrible corner. Did he actually play well? Or was out of secondary so bad that his play looked good just because it was better than everything else? Because if it's the latter that's not exactly a positive thing. For me I believe it is a latter

He played well last year...no matter what way you slice it. 

Again, he’s cheap depth who can hold his own...he’s our current version of William Gay.

Coty Sensebaugh wasnt a problem, he just isnt a solution.

4 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

He played well last year...no matter what way you slice it. 

Again, he’s cheap depth who can hold his own...he’s our current version of William Gay.

We can agree to disagree. If we have to rely on Cody sensible than pretty much any fashion next year to me it is an issue the only player in the secondary he is actually better than is Artie Burns in my opinion. He is capable of playing well in very limited situations but overall he is not a very good player