Spencer Long released

turtle28

36 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He was never very good, why would we bring him back?

Exactly- he was serviceable. Jets WAY overpaid and realized it . As bad as our management is - They were smart to let him walk as was the case not to overpay Djax and Garcon . 

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Or it gives them a reason not to acquire a real upgrade.  

Well, there is that.

Unfortunately, if they go with the "eat the elephant now" approach with regards to Smith's contract, they'll have to make moves like that.

Of course, free agents know that so they may be less inclined to come here ...

11 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Sure, why not? Why was he cut though? Did he really under-perform that bad? I know he got overpaid, but damn.

I think he got hurt and affected his snapping ability. He can still play LG. But I STILL want to draft a stud LG to start over him.

Two things I heard on Al Galdi’s show this morning:

1. Long hurt his thumb last year and the Jets still played him at center and he then had no control over his snaps, that was a dumb decision by Bowles and company. They should’ve put him on the shelf or moved him to guard  and started a center w/o a thumb injury.

2. Long was due a $3 million roster bonus. The Jets didn’t want to pay that, for obvious reasons, and he was released.

Here’s the genius of all of this:

The Redskins allow Long to leave and the Jets overpay him for a season - $6.937 million. So, the Redskins will collect a 5th round compensatory pick for losing Long to the Jets on a 4-year $27.4 million deal last March. Now, the Redskins can re-sign Long for much cheaper to compete with a rookie or two, and hopefully a re-signed Kouandjio and Jonathan Cooper for the starting job.

So, the Redskins will get a 5th round pick and could get a starting LG back for letting Long walk on a big money deal last year.

That would actually be an excellent move by the front office for once. 😱

Just now, turtle28 said:

So, the Redskins will get a 5th round pick and could get a starting LG back for letting Long walk on a big money deal last year.

That would actually be an excellent move by the front office for once. 😱

Fair point, except for one hitch: Long has to choose to come back to DC.

Archived