Tobias Harris Traded To Philadelphia 76ers

dante9876

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, I think the latest reports were that Harris didn't want to wait around while the Clippers tried to chase "bigger" free agents, before making an attempt to sign him as their "fall back" option.

He's looking for his own max contract.  He wasn't going to get it from the Clippers.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He's looking for his own max contract.  He wasn't going to get it from the Clippers.

*** he wasn't going to get it IF the Clippers managed to land other "higher" priority free agents. If they missed out on all of them, Harris was the guy they would give the max to.

That's the equivalent of telling a girl you've been dating that you'll marry her, but you want to see if you have a shot with this super model first.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

*** he wasn't going to get it IF the Clippers managed to land other "higher" priority free agents. If they missed out on all of them, Harris was the guy they would give the max to.

That's the equivalent of telling a girl you've been dating that you'll marry her, but you want to see if you have a shot with this super model first.

Well yeah.  But there's at least two other teams with max FA cap space (New York and LA Lakers) who are also gunning for them, and there's the teams trying to re-sign them as well.  IF the Clippers are on the outside looking in, do they max Tobias Harris?  That's where the risk lies.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They're more likely to go after DeAndre Jordan than they are Vuc IMO.  Plus, I think there's been rumblings about mutual interest about returning to Orlando.  And I think the Lakers don't want to completely shutdown the possibility of an Anthony Davis trade, which would require a FRP.

Vucevic would be a lot better for them than Jordan.

I know they don't, but they need to accept that they aren't getting Davis at this point. Trade for Vucevic and make the playoffs so you can save face this season. Then sign a free agent (hopefully one of the top guys, but it doesn't seem likely), re-sign Vucevic, and then trade a smaller haul for Beal or Blake Griffin.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Philadelphia is a couple plausible (not likely, but plausible) things away from absolutely ruling the East if they keep Butler and Harris.

-Kawhi leaves Toronto
-Kyrie leaves Boston
-Milwaukee loses Middleton, Bledsoe, or Brogdon.

Keep Harris and let Butler go.  They’d still have some cap space for depth pieces.  

1 minute ago, DirtyDez said:

The Clipps could land Kawhi without another superstar.  He’s that unpredictable.

They could land Kawhi and then trade for Anthony Davis.  It'd be so ******* hilarious for the Lakers to miss out on both and have them team up in the same freaking city.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Define significant.  Shamet was a good get.

Definitely.  6ers will miss him in the short run.  Don’t think he is much more than a role player in the grand scheme of things though.  

I’m not even suggesting the 6ers won the trade.  Even if they don’t win the Kawhi, AD sweepstakes, LAC wasn’t going to retain Harris.  

I do think Tobias is worthy of a top ten pick for the Sixers, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Butler and where the Heats pick will end up.  Harris has been on the block for a while, they weren’t going to get him for nothing.  It was clear a change needed to be made or Philly was headed toward an early playoff exit.  As long as they acquire some buyout depth, this is a good trade for both sides.

Archived