The Official UnOfficial Free Agency & Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

18 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Louis Riddick said he thinks Wentz will win MVP this season anda  bunch of bears fans are posting pictures of mitch trubiksy, kind of weird how they dont know he sucks.

The Bears, Chiefs, and the Cowboys (to a smaller extent) are prime candidates for regression in my opinion 

Losing Fangio is going to be a massive loss for Da Double Doink Bears

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sure hope Douglas passes on the Jets job, be nice to get at least one more offseason with him in the building.

Not real scared about it. Out of three drafts he hasn’t exactly blown me away. Considering his roots are in scouting you’d figure he’d have landed a couple guys that are upper echelon. There’s a few guys that have some solid groundwork to being stars but nothing overwhelming as of yet. As long as Howie is here, the team should always be in good running order. There’s always young Douglas’ waiting to be plucked from around the league. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Not real scared about it. Out of three drafts he hasn’t exactly blown me away. Considering his roots are in scouting you’d figure he’d have landed a couple guys that are upper echelon. There’s a few guys that have some solid groundwork to being stars but nothing overwhelming as of yet. As long as Howie is here, the team should always be in good running order. There’s always young Douglas’ waiting to be plucked from around the league. 

Think you're way under selling his contributions via the Draft and FA. His thumb prints are/were all over this roster IMO. Many of whom contributed to the SB run.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Joe-Douglas-Philadelphia-Eagles-best-players-selected--132060552/

Hard to find upper echelon players , when consistently picking towards the end of each rd in the draft too. Especially when derailed by injury.

Edited by Nabbs4u

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Think you're way under selling his contributions via the Draft and FA. His thumb prints are/were all over this roster IMO. Many of whom contributed to the SB run.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Joe-Douglas-Philadelphia-Eagles-best-players-selected--132060552/

Hard to find upper echelon players , when consistently picking towards the end of each rd in the draft too. Especially when derailed by injury.

Meh, when the list starts at Avonte Maddox it’s the definition of underwhelming. I love his potential, along with Goedert and Barnett but they all have a lot to prove to be star cogs on a winning team. It’s early to judge a guy on only three years of drafting but he hasn’t hit an absolute home run yet. If he’s considered to be the next young big thing, I have my doubts. 

Howie’s FA/trades and draft/cap manipulation has more to do with recent success than anything Douglas has direct effect over, IMO. I mean, think about it. What major contribution can you list that’s Douglas’? 

6 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Meh, when the list starts at Avonte Maddox it’s the definition of underwhelming. I love his potential, along with Goedert and Barnett but they all have a lot to prove to be star cogs on a winning team. It’s early to judge a guy on only three years of drafting but he hasn’t hit an absolute home run yet. If he’s considered to be the next young big thing, I have my doubts. 

Howie’s FA/trades and draft/cap manipulation has more to do with recent success than anything Douglas has direct effect over, IMO. I mean, think about it. What major contribution can you list that’s Douglas’? 

you can't fairly judge any of his drafts until after this coming season. I fully expect Douglas and Barnett to be good starters this season. So Im optimistic. 

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Count me with @Jroc04 as not being too concerned if we lose Douglas.

I'm sure Howie will find a suitable replacement.

I think Andrew Berry is being groomed in case Douglas leaves. He was VP of player personnel in CLE. Worked in pro scouting in Indy before. Harvard guy, played football, graduated in Economics and mastered computer science. He is pretty young though, if that’s good or bad. Was described as a Theo Epstein type. So, he’s into the analytics. I’m sure we’ll be hearing his name floated around. But, if Joe goes soon, I think Howie just assumes the role for the year and then someone gets promoted after a year of grooming. Probably Berry. 

By the way, wouldn’t Douglas be making a lateral move? I understand that Howie is overseeing everything but Howie is the Vice President of football operations. Douglas is just going to be a GM right? Isn’t that what he is here?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

you can't fairly judge any of his drafts until after this coming season. I fully expect Douglas and Barnett to be good starters this season. So Im optimistic. 

Oh I agree. But you’d think out of 18 or so draftees, on a SB contending team, there’d be at least a couple standout guys. Especially with some unearthed late round guys. Like I said, I like the potential out of most of them, and it is too early to judge. But they need to start hitting their strides soon for Douglas to justify that hiring. Not that it matters. It looks like he’s off to NY. 

10 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I think Andrew Berry is being groomed in case Douglas leaves. He was VP of player personnel in CLE. Worked in pro scouting in Indy before. Harvard guy, played football, graduated in Economics and mastered computer science. He is pretty young though, if that’s good or bad. Was described as a Theo Epstein type. So, he’s into the analytics. I’m sure we’ll be hearing his name floated around. But, if Joe goes soon, I think Howie just assumes the role for the year and then someone gets promoted after a year of grooming. Probably Berry. 

By the way, wouldn’t Douglas be making a lateral move? I understand that Howie is overseeing everything but Howie is the Vice President of football operations. Douglas is just going to be a GM right? Isn’t that what he is here?

That title doesn't really mean anything. Howie is still the GM here. He has final say on everything.

Edit: Actually after reading Wikipedia it seems the Executive Vice President of Football Operations was a title given to him in a "promotion" after we made Chip Kelly the de-facto GM. Seems like he still has that title now but he has been the GM ever since Kelly's departure.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1