The Official UnOfficial Free Agency & Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie is a Magician,  but How? Financially How?

Cap hit is like $16 mil, we have that space. Even a little extra for rainy days and giving Malcolm a slight bump.

Peters comes off the books next year, cap will be going up, can lay out the contract to hit heavy in alternative years...tons of stuff they can do.

We have room for another max player with Howie doing the deal. Only thing is we cant extend him til next year.

But if the Texans are doing "feel it in your gut" moves like trading a 3rd for Duke Johnson....maybe Obrien gets pissy and trades him away for palatably value?!?
Is a 1st good for everyone? Because we likely were going to target a DE early next year anyway.

I don't see them trading for him, if he hits FA next year they will call though.
If we had another injury at DE at the top though that changes things.

I would very much like to see teams look at Clowney, Fletcher, Malik and Barnett/Graham just demoralize an OL

If Maddox, Jones, Douglas and LeBlanc can step up like we think they can, that’ll be an extremely cheap but still good secondary. Washing your hands of Darby and McLeod next year could easily give you enough money to extend Clowney. I’d trade our first for him right now. A heavy rotation of BG, Clowney and Barnett and that’s devastating. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

If Maddox, Jones, Douglas and LeBlanc can step up like we think they can, that’ll be an extremely cheap but still good secondary. Washing your hands of Darby and McLeod next year could easily give you enough money to extend Clowney. I’d trade our first for him right now. A heavy rotation of BG, Clowney and Barnett and that’s devastating. 

good point,

They both probably have a shot to come back, but they'll have to play well and those young guys will have to suck.

We have the room to try and get someone next year. A ton of DL talent could hit the market with Clowney, Chris Jones, Leonard Williams and Yannick Ngakoue.
With some old vets at DT out there too. Most wont see the market, but a chance to add really good players to a super bowl roster.
Corner Market could have Darby, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones, Chris Harris and Kendall Fuller in it. Ideally the young guys step up and we don't have to pay up.
Which makes you think McLeod has more of a chance since the safety market isnt amazing.

Also probably have to keep in mind the QB market, Sudfeld could walk to try and get a chance to play.
If they do that does Howie try to go deep there again? You'll have Teddy, Jacoby Brissett, Tannehill. Also Mariota or Winston could flame this year and look for a regrouping spot with a winner maybe. Sudfeld probably just comes back, but there will be options.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jeezla said:

Always thought Harold should be a SLB. Ostman would have been nice to have yesterday.

Maybe we should trade for Clowney...

On 8/10/2019 at 1:34 AM, Kiltman said:

Cap hit is like $16 mil, we have that space. Even a little extra for rainy days and giving Malcolm a slight bump.

Peters comes off the books next year, cap will be going up, can lay out the contract to hit heavy in alternative years...tons of stuff they can do.

We have room for another max player with Howie doing the deal. Only thing is we cant extend him til next year.

But if the Texans are doing "feel it in your gut" moves like trading a 3rd for Duke Johnson....maybe Obrien gets pissy and trades him away for palatably value?!?
Is a 1st good for everyone? Because we likely were going to target a DE early next year anyway.

I don't see them trading for him, if he hits FA next year they will call though.
If we had another injury at DE at the top though that changes things.

I would very much like to see teams look at Clowney, Fletcher, Malik and Barnett/Graham just demoralize an OL

I know this is probably obvious but I have to be the guy to say it.....

I HIGHLY doubt we have any interest in Clowney. With Brandon Gram resigning at a pretty much unmovable 3 years and Derek Barnett, our first round pick two years ago, set to be a starter it would be overkill. While I get that we have the cap space and the resources to do it, I don't think it makes much sense. The more likely scenario is that we roll over all that cap space from this year to help offset pretty much all of Carson's extension next year giving us one more "go for it" year while we reload everyone with cheaper contract rookies.

To go a little further I'd be willing to bet Cox and Alshon restructure next season from their 25 and 16 million dollar cap hits, respectively, to give Howie his flexibility.

Edited by Hockey5djh

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

I HIGHLY doubt we have any interest in Clowney. With Brandon Gram resigning at a pretty much unmovable 3 years and Derek Barnett, our first round pick two years ago, set to be a starter it would be overkill. Whil I get that we have the cap space and the resources to do it, I don't think it makes much sense. The more likely scenario is that we roll over all that cap space from this year to help offset pretty much all of Carson's extension next year giving us one more "go for it" year while we reload everyone with cheaper contract rookies.

To go a little further I'd be willing to be Cox and Alshon restructure next season from their 25 and 16 million dollar cap hits, respectively, to give Howie his flexibility.

I think they'd like to have 3 starters at DE, with two more good rotational pieces. So Clowney would fit that, different then drafting a guy next year obviously, as he'd be at the top of that rotation instead of a rookie working his way up. 

He fits Howie's profile almost entirely. Young, entering his prime player at a premium position.
Those are the players Howie drops contracts for, everyone else he has found a way to get a deal off of.

I agree I don't see it happening, team like the Giants will sign him to a giant contract.

36 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think they'd like to have 3 starters at DE, with two more good rotational pieces. So Clowney would fit that, different then drafting a guy next year obviously, as he'd be at the top of that rotation instead of a rookie working his way up. 

He fits Howie's profile almost entirely. Young, entering his prime player at a premium position.
Those are the players Howie drops contracts for, everyone else he has found a way to get a deal off of.

I agree I don't see it happening, team like the Giants will sign him to a giant contract.

Don't get me wrong its definitely an "all in type of move" that would make us a big favorite this season and Clowney definitely fits the Howie profile but I think a move like that would really cripple Howie's flexibility after this season.

5 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Don't get me wrong its definitely an "all in type of move" that would make us a big favorite this season and Clowney definitely fits the Howie profile but I think a move like that would really cripple Howie's flexibility after this season.

I honestly think exploring the addition of Clowney should wait until the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Would hamper it yeah, but we have most of our guys locked down and the cap should be going up. So either way we should be fine.
Definitely a luxury, personally I'd rather wait...give Malcolm the deal he deserves..carry over the money and then try and sign Clowney or any other DE that breaks free next year.
That way we don't need to be desperate for one in the 1st. 

Antonio Brown was/is a hell of a player, but I'm really glad Howie never pushed passed the contact phase on that trade.
This helmet saga is ridiculous. Though I think the league at some point should just allow him to sign a waiver and move on.

It doesn't need to be a zero tolerance thing like steroids.