What are your thoughts on the HOF?

Hunter2_1

Thoughts on HOF?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. specifically, the way it's used in discussion

• It's the pinnacle of the sport and clearly proves who the best players are
    • It's a good way of recognising the greats and it's important
    • It's overrated
    • Completely overblown and 'X should be in the HOF' discussions are tedious
    • I don't care about it

I think it's good to recognize the peak of the sport.

Any system is flawed.

But I think it's just a very odd and weighted system that I'm not sure how you fix.

It seems to be more and more about impact on memory rather than what they did on impacting the games.

There are so many players who don't get it but should for how well they played over long careers.
who miss out because they aren't as flashy, didn't play in a big market, whatever.

It's the nature of football and just how dependant on team the game is.
There are Def. linemen who dominate, scare opposing olinemen, but they never get the stats or recognition because teams run away from them...dbl/trpl team them.
You get guys like Harold Carmichael who defined the tall jump ball receiver in the 70s, had amazing stats for his time (better than many others in his era who are in the hall) but he played largely on garbage eagles teams. He didn't get the spotlight of a Lynn Swann.

Maybe the key is we have to change, maybe we got too lax in our definition of it.

Among the 3 HOFs I follow, it is definitely the one I value the most. Not as politically driven as the MLB's, but not as easy to get into as the NBA's/basketball's.

All things considered, like the fact that there have been thousands of players in NFL history, there's really not too many guys that make you say "how the hell is HE in the hall!?" or "how the hell is he NOT in the hall!?" 

I think the way players and coaches are selected is VERY flawed.  Too many greats that are not in that should be. 

I think Gino Cappelletti should be in, and I don't know if he ever will.  He played on offense, defense, and special teams, and was the ALL-TIME leading scorer in AFL history.  A true "football player." The writers are always stumping for "their guys" and I think the deck is stacked against many of the greats.  Another example is Don Coryell.  Why isn't he in?

It seems like a farce to me if guys like Cappelletti and Coryell can't get in. 

Here's the selection criteria, current voters, FAQ and History for the Pro Football HOF

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/becoming-a-hall-of-famer/

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/

https://www.profootballhof.com/visit/hall-of-fame-history/

"There is no set number for any class of enshrinees, but the Committee's current ground rules do stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year " 

I didn't realize that Dan Fouts and James Lofton are current voters, thought it was all writers.
Board of Trustees also includes players and owners among others

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

It seems to be more and more about impact on memory rather than what they did on impacting the games.

They aren't even eligible until 5 years after retirement, so its there's certainly a memory component built into it.
Its called the Hall of FAME, and its voted on predominantly by football writers, so that makes sense.  Maybe that's an important distinction, maybe not.
But I have read where the writers/voters will talk to some of the candidates' contemporaries as part of their due diligence.
EX: If they are considering a Left Tackle, they'll ask some of the DL guys who played against them for their opinions

I like it better than baseball. Baseball is a stats HOF that mandates that people reach a standard of numbers to get in. Then if the writers didn't like something you did they will outright disqualify you.

The NFL HOF will let players without the best stats slide if they had historic impact. 

I think people don't understand the various logjams at certain positions and then freak out if their guy is waiting. But overall it usually gets the right people  in

My biggest criticism is that it seems that personal opinions and lobbying play a heavy role in the decision making process.

Ive always enjoyed reading Peterr Kings articles but also felt he clearly approached negative stories differently when it was about guys/stars he liked/had a good relationship with/needed to stay friendly with compared to others. For example the doping and rape allegations towards Manning.

I cant help but think that kibd of bias will also be present in hof voting

3 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

I think the way players and coaches are selected is VERY flawed.  Too many greats that are not in that should be. 

I think Gino Cappelletti should be in, and I don't know if he ever will.  He played on offense, defense, and special teams, and was the ALL-TIME leading scorer in AFL history.  A true "football player." The writers are always stumping for "their guys" and I think the deck is stacked against many of the greats.  Another example is Don Coryell.  Why isn't he in?

It seems like a farce to me if guys like Cappelletti and Coryell can't get in. 

Good article from a few years back regarding Coryell, and the arguments for, and against his HOF case. It's not as much of a tragedy people usually paint it out to be.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/6/15/5812672/does-don-coryell-really-belong-in-the-hall-of-fame

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Good article from a few years back regarding Coryell, and the arguments for, and against his HOF case. It's not as much of a tragedy people usually paint it out to be.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/6/15/5812672/does-don-coryell-really-belong-in-the-hall-of-fame

Yeah I agree with this.  I’m not sure why people act like the 1981 Chargers were an all time great team that just got unfortunate to run into the Freezer Bowl in Cincinnati at the AFC Championship Game.  They had already gotten blown out by the Bengals at home earlier in the season and were god awful defensively under Coryell, especially after trading Fred Dean after Week 5 of that season.  It’s not like they were really anything special outside of throwing the ball a lot, they were a 10-6 team

23 hours ago, kramxel said:

In this day and age, it will be very difficult to not pro bowl the HOF...

The importance of name recognition and down right popularity seems to outweigh what is played on the field.

I agree with this completely. There is no way Ty Law should have been voted in over some of the other guys eligible. He is just one example.

Archived