Redskins begin preliminary negs w/ Peterson; Guice is sprinting

turtle28

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/05/washington-has-had-preliminary-contract-talks-with-adrian-peterson/

The team has had “

preliminary talks” with the running back about a return for 2019, John Keim of ESPN reports.

He ended up with his first 1,000-yard season since 2015 with 1,042 yards and averaged 4.2 yards per carry.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/06/derrius-guice-posts-sprinting-video/

Guice posted a video of 

himself sprinting at full speed that was captioned with “we working with fire.” Guice tore his ACL in early August during the first quarter of the team’s first exhibition game of the year.

The injury led Washington to sign Adrian Peterson to their roster. The veteran went on to run 251 times for 1,042 yards and seven touchdowns as the team’s lead back.

Hopefully only like a 2 year deal with a 3rd option. This way we can find out if Guice is ready to go this season and then gradually ease MVP out after 2020. Or if Guice is not ready we ride MVP for the next few years until Guice is ready or we get another stud RB.

Guice is no more a sure thing than Fournette at this point. Bringing more youth in should be a priority, much like kicking out the lowlife child abuser to try in lure fans back should be.

Later rounds will have RBs. That can be on rookie, late round contracts.

11 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Guice is no more a sure thing than Fournette at this point. Bringing more youth in should be a priority, much like kicking out the lowlife child abuser to try in lure fans back should be.

Later rounds will have RBs. That can be on rookie, late round contracts.

I wasn't speaking of the non-football issues here. Just his ability to help on the field. I do want to draft another RB though. Because, as you said, Guice is not a sure thing at this point.

36 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I wasn't speaking of the non-football issues here. Just his ability to help on the field. I do want to draft another RB though. Because, as you said, Guice is not a sure thing at this point.

I love Guice, especially because hes LSU. I see everywhere people acting like hes already a Pro Bowl RB or the most sure a bet as theres ever been coming out the draft. With a nice class coming out, more youth can only help.

Late round guy like Trayveon Williams from A&M. He carried 35 times against a great LSU D with success. 35 times! Id like to see a workhorse like that brought in, instead of a 34 yo waste of a roster spot which QBs and backups outgained with less carries in several games.

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I love Guice, especially because hes LSU. I see everywhere people acting like hes already a Pro Bowl RB or the most sure a bet as theres ever been coming out the draft. With a nice class coming out, more youth can only help.

Late round guy like Trayveon Williams from A&M. He carried 35 times against a great LSU D with success. 35 times! Id like to see a workhorse like that brought in, instead of a 34 yo waste of a roster spot which QBs and backups outgained with less carries in several games.

Yes I agree completely.All the love in the world for AP and thank you BUT we actually need a rookie contract here to save money for the AS black hole.Young RBs with talent?sign me up

Yes he had a strong year and definitely earned a deal but I would definitely make it a contract the team could easily get out of after next season. The main reason is only because they have too many holes to fill and not enough draft picks/cap space to fill them all. The inevitable will happen and he’ll break down at some point. AP can definately help in easing Guice in but after next season should be gone with a rookie to partner up with Guice

Colts 11 rushes 20 yards... 2nd on the team in rushing

Saints 4 rushes 6 yards... 4th on team

Falcons 9 for 17... 4th on team

Bucs 19 for 68

Texans 16 for 51

Cowboys 12 for 35

Giants 10 for 16

Jags 19 for 51

Eagles 4 for 0

He had 3 or 4 decent games. Even against the Cards he adv less than 4ypc though near 100 yards.

We dont have to waste a roster spot on him when youth can be brought in. Especially with that production. Its better to fill that role with a 21 year old.

23 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Draft another RB? We didn't even have enough spots for the guys we had last year until they all got hurt except Bibbs.

We have CT, Guice, Perine and Marshall and it seems almost certain we’ll re-sign Peterson.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Draft another RB? We didn't even have enough spots for the guys we had last year until they all got hurt except Bibbs.

We have CT, Guice, Perine and Marshall and it seems almost certain we’ll re-sign Peterson.

We can get rid of Perine and Marshall. It's just never gonna come for them. 

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Bucs 19 for 68

Texans 16 for 51

Cowboys 12 for 35

Giants 10 for 16

Jags 19 for 51

Eagles 4 for 0

He had 3 or 4 decent games. Even against the Cards he adv less than 4ypc though near 100 yards.

We dont have to waste a roster spot on him when youth can be brought in. Especially with that production. Its better to fill that role with a 21 year old.

Not his fault exactly. Gruden doesn't consistently stick with the running game and our scheme sucks. Not re-signing our MVP doesn't make sense to me.

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Bucs 19 for 68

Texans 16 for 51

Cowboys 12 for 35

Giants 10 for 16

Jags 19 for 51

Eagles 4 for 0

Two things:

1) Remember, he was doing it behind a very banged up OL (and one that had a weak link at LG and blocking TE on Week 1)

2) His veteran leadership in terms of how to approach a particular play, etc... is also valuable. It was no surprise that when the others got in there, after watching MVP do his thing, that they hit the correct holes and were not timid like they had been in previous years. That's valuable. A RB corps of MVP, Guice, CT, rookie draft pick would be good to have.

I see your point in going youth. But I don't want to do that since we have Guice already. We need the 1st and 2nd down back to have some cachet. Especially since Guice was injured all last year.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Two things:

1) Remember, he was doing it behind a very banged up OL (and one that had a weak link at LG and blocking TE on Week 1)

2) His veteran leadership in terms of how to approach a particular play, etc... is also valuable. It was no surprise that when the others got in there, after watching MVP do his thing, that they hit the correct holes and were not timid like they had been in previous years. That's valuable. A RB corps of MVP, Guice, CT, rookie draft pick would be good to have.

I see your point in going youth. But I don't want to do that since we have Guice already. We need the 1st and 2nd down back to have some cachet. Especially since Guice was injured all last year.

I doubt they draft a RB in the early or mid rounds and I don’t think a late round RB would beat out Perine or Marshall. We’ll  probably keep 4 RBs again if we re-sign Peterson. Now, if we don’t re-sign Peterson I can see us drafting a 5th round back or so.

Archived