TRD 2019 Pre Combine Mock

TheeRealDeal

Re-Sign :: 

Trevon Coley - ERFA he'll be back stupid cheap
Rashard Higgins - 2nd Round Tender
Briean Boddy-Calhoun - 2nd Tender
Orson Charles - Original Round Tender
Breshad Perriman 3 years 14 Million 4.5 guaranteed (Ted Ginn 3 years 11 million 3 million guaranteed)
Greg Robinson 3 years 20 Million 5.5 guaranteed (Alejandro Villanueva 4 years 24,000,000 6.5m guaranteed)
Earl Watford - 2 Years 4.5 Million 1 million guaranteed (Austin Reiter 2 years 4,550,000 1m fully guaranteed)

Sign :: 

DE Justin Houston
- Released to save money in order to resign Dee Ford, Chris Jones, Tyreek Hill and throw down the largest contract in NFL history on Patrick Mahomes. John Dorsey swoops in and nabs the 30 year old pass rusher who is slowing down a little but not too drastically. A switch from LB to a more permanent role with his hand in the dirt should help prolong his career. He is an improvement over Emmanuel Ogbah and leaves us flexibility to add a younger guy to the roster.

CB Steven Nelson
-Another Kansas City guy John Dorsey knows well and even drafted. Starter the past 2 seasons and highly aggressive when the ball is in the air. Will battle with ex-teammate Terrance Mitchell to start opposite Denzel Ward.

DT Christian Covington
-A quick disruptive DT who has had success getting to the QB in his limited snaps. Will transition from 34 to our 43 but he lined up over the guard more often than not in Houston as it was. Veteran stop gap/insurance/depth for our 3 tech vacancy. We will still be on the lookout for more help.

QB Trevor  Siemian
-Veteran backup with starting experience.

LB Deone Bucannon
-Veteran linebacker who can run. Will add depth to our shallow linebacker corps.

Draft :: 
1. Arizona :: Nick Bosa DE Ohio State
2. San Francisco :: Josh Allen DE Kentucky
3. New YorKJ :: Quinnen Williams DT Alabama
4. Oakland :: Rashan Gary DE Michigan
5. Tampa Bay :: Ed Oliver DT Houston
6. New YorkG :: Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma
7. Jacksonville :: Drew Lock QB Missouri
8. Detroit :: D.K. Metcalf WR Mississippi
9. Buffalo :: Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson
10. Denver :: Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
11. Cincinnati :: Devin White ILB LSU
12. Green Bay :: Jachai Polite DE/LB Florida
13. Miami :: Daniel Jones QB Duke
14. Atlanta :: Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi State
15. Washington :: Byron Murphy CB Washington
16. Carolina :: Brian Burns DE Florida State
17. Oakland(Cleveland) :: T.J. Hockenson TE Iowa
18. Minnesota :: Dalton Risner OG Kansas State
19. Tennessee :: Christian Wilkins DT Clemson
20. Pittsburgh :: Greedy Williams CB LSU
21. Seattle :: Jonah Williams OL Alabama
22. Baltimore :: Joshua Jacobs RB Alabama
23. Houston :: Andre Dillard OT Washington State
24. Cleveland(Oakland) :: Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame

*Trade #17 & Emmanuel Ogbah to Oakland for #24, #66 and a 4th*
-With the addition of Justin Houston and no intentions of signing Ogbah long term we find a trade partner who needs a pass rusher that gets us some value in return.

1-24. Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame
-Moved back and still landed a 1st round DT who slides due to character concerns. Massive frame with incredibly long and powerful arms. Violent pass rusher with a very high upside. Needs to give more effort in the run game. Has the talent to unseat Covington very early to be the starter opposite Ogunjobi.

2-49. Vosean Joseph LB Florida
-Athletic linebacker who plays 100mph and brings some serious physicality that we currently lack on defense. Has some flaws in his game but more than enough talent to be coaches up. Another high upside pick in an area of need.

3-66. Chuma Edoga OT USC
-Light footed quick OT with high upside. Upper-MIddle Class man's Terron Armstead. Excellent feet and accurate punch. A little on the short side for an OT but it is a perfect match for our short QB Baker Mayfield. 

3-80. L.J. Collier DE TCU
-Powerful and violent pass rusher. The exact opposite of Myles Garrett he's purely a physical pass rusher who will collapse the pocket and bully OL rather than run by them. Very Michael Bennett like in him game but far more powerful and advanced coming out than Bennett was leaving TAMU.

3-95. Eric McCoy OC Texas A&M
-Keeping the interior of the offensive line extremely stout for Baker Mayfield is high priority. Dorsey finds a gem in McCoy who is not getting the hype of Bradberry or Jenkins but IMO his film is impressive. He was great against Lawrence, Wilkins, Davis and Williams of Clemson and Alabama. He's not the most athletic OC but he wins with power and a very good anchor much like Alex Mack.

4. Keelan Doss WR UC Davis
-Extremely impressed with his games from the first time I saw them. Deep speed and great YAC ability. Big tall target and much more shifty and explosive than a 6'3 receiver should be. Reminds me of DeAndre Hopkins after the catch.

4. Foster Moreau TE LSU
-Absolute beast of a blocker on the ground and in pass protection. He's been so good blocking he has become and underrated receiving threat with solid hands and a knack for finding soft spots in the defense. The goal here is finding the premium role players in the draft. It is the unsung hero's who do that dirty work that really make a team championship caliber.

5. Devine Ozigbo RB Nebraska
-A big powerful running back with great balance and never goes down on first contact. We currently have no one on the roster who could fill in for Nick Chubb as an every down inside the tackles runner should something happen. Ozigbo is that guy and much more athletic than his size suggest. He could potentially be a RB1 in the NFL.

5. Terry McLaurin WR Ohio State
-Another role player added to the roster to take us to that championship level. Special teams stud with depth threat ability in the event of a Perriman or Calloway injury.

5. Donald Parham TE Stetson
-A rare physical speciman like the NFL has never seen. Moves incredibly well for a guy his size especially his COD skills. His insane high and ability to get quick release make him a potentially dangerous red zone threat the NFL would not be ready to defend. What good would doubling a 6'9 guy who can move with 2 guys who are 5'11-6
3? I don't care if he sucks at literally everything else. Great coaches find roles for guys all the time and this guy could be a mismatch problem.

6. Matt Gay PK Utah
-The best kicker in the draft. Has the leg to make it from 55+ and extremely accurate as well as a high percentage of his kickoffs in 2018 going for touchbacks would help our kick coverage units.

7. Donnie Lewis CB Tulane
-Small school flyer on a athlete cover man with good hips for man coverage. Will be groomed as a nickle incase we lose Briean Boddy-Calhoun and T.J. Carrie doesn't step up his game.

UDFA Priorty #1 Jay-Tee Tiuli DT Eastern Washington 6'3 1/2 340 33 3/8"
-Massive DT who was high productive at the FBS level. Has some off the field concerns that will more than likely keep him from being drafted at all, but as we all know John Dorsey will not shy away from talent especially at a great value. Has the quickness and power to be a great run stopper. Could even potentially beat out Trevon Coley for a roster spot.

QB Baker Mayfield/Trevor Siemian/Drew Stanton
RB Nick Chubb/Duke Johnson/Devine Ozigbo
FB Orson Charles
WR Antonio Calloway/Breshad Perriman
WR Rashard Higgins/Terry McLaurin/Keelan Doss
SL Jarvis Landry/Derrick Willis/Damion Ratley
TE David Njoku/Foster Moreau/Darren Fells/Donald Parham  - Fells, Parham, Ratley, Willies, McLaurin and Doss will battle for 4 roster spots
LT Greg Robinson/Chuma Edoga
LG Joel Bitonio
OC J.C. Tretter/Erik McCoy
RG Kevin Zeitler/Austin Corbett
RT Chris Hubbard/Desmond Harris
DE Myles Garrett/Chris Smith
DT Larry Ogunjobi/Trevon Coley/Jay-Tee Tiuli
DT Christian Covington/Jerry Tillery
DE Justin Houston/L.J. Collier/Chad Thomas   - Thomas, Tiuli and Coley will battle for two roster spots
SB Jamie Collins/Genard Avery    - Jamie Collins starts but has a severely reduces role
MB Joe Schobert/Tanner Vallejo
WB Christian Kirksey/Vosean Joseph
CB Denzel Ward/Tavierre Thomas
CB Steven Nelson/Terrance Mitchell
NB T.J. Carrie/Donnie Lewis
FS Damarious Randall/Briean Boddy-Calhoun
SS Jabrill Peppers/Derrick Kindred
PK Matt Gay
PT Britton Colquitt
LS Charley Hughlett

Thoughts:

I think we end up with at least one "stud" in FA. Either that or a lot more mid-tier guys. They're going for a championship now.

I don't like the trade down, as it seems to be valuing Ogbah as about a early 4th round pick and even as an expiring contract, assuming we are trying to compete this year, I would rather have him as my #3/4 DE than a 4th round pick. Especially since Houston is no spring chicken. I'm always up for moving down to pick up 2nd/3rd round picks, especially in drafts like this where the strength will probably be in that area, but including Ogbah is a head scratcher to me.

I think if Jonah Williams and Jawaan Taylor fall that far I could see Dorsey just taking his pick of them. Same with Wilkins.

I'm on team "All the LBs looking worse under Gregggggg wasn't a coincidence" and hoping for a Kirksey bounce back. With the nickel being the new base defense, I don't see a LB as a top 2 rounds need.

I don't like Collier anywhere NEAR as much as you do, but the late 3rd isn't the worst place to be taking him. Again though, I think Collier as our #4 DE makes a LOT more sense to me than trusting him to be #3 by shipping out Ogbah.

Archived