Former 49ersQB, Tim Rattay interviewing for QB coaching job

turtle28

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

To be fair, I’m gonna step out on a limb and say Favre, right or wrong, every right to  say screw the kid I’m not teaching him jack for what he did for that organization. Most of the great ones would never agree to mentor a kid to take his job, just ask Brady. Colt in 100 lifetimes won’t be in that place. 

That wasn't my point. My point was its not any veterans job to help coach up/train his possible replacement. Hence, why teand have position coaches and even quality control coaches.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That wasn't my point. My point was its not any veterans job to help coach up/train his possible replacement. Hence, why teand have position coaches and even quality control coaches.

We don’t get paid to help out new co-workers, our bosses do, but I’m sure all of us helped a new guy out at some point. No, Colt doesn’t get paid to help young guys along but seeing as he isn’t the starter, I mean our starter can’t walk and the team is scrambling to get someone to play the position, I’d bet Colt has some time to watch some tape with a rookie if asked. 

38 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

We don’t get paid to help out new co-workers, our bosses do, but I’m sure all of us helped a new guy out at some point. No, Colt doesn’t get paid to help young guys along but seeing as he isn’t the starter, I mean our starter can’t walk and the team is scrambling to get someone to play the position, I’d bet Colt has some time to watch some tape with a rookie if asked. 

Regular jobs are different. Coworkers at our regular everyday jobs aren't our future replacements in a starting lineup in the NFL.

Currently, Colt is the starter and most likely he’ll be the starter in week 1, even if we take a QB in Round 1.

People are just going go have to wrap their heads around that fact. 

It all comes down to how Rattay can communicate and relate to the players, end of discussion.  Having come through college, this might be a benefit in how he's going to coach and develop a QB that gets drafted this year, but that's no guarantee and also why you interview coaches.  It's also a big jump going from LA Tech to the NFL. 

Rattay was hired at the end of the week, so I hope they got it right.  At the very least, Rattay is a former NFL veteran who has spent some time coaching college kids and can hopefully relate to a new QB that comes through the draft.  It's better than hiring a retread whose been out of the game for a few years at least, like we've done at other positions. 

Archived