2020 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+weekly prospect standouts)

Ozzy

Made some changes to the list already, watched that Ohio State vs Michigan State game this past year again.

Kenny Willekes Michigan State RS SR DE: Moved him up to the 1st round and could be higher, had him originally in the 2nd round.  Liked him before but after watching him some more damn that kid is impressive.  Can just walk offensive tackles back and really knows how to penetrate and make plays.  Hopefully he does not have some arm issue wearing that massive brace on there but if he can stay healthy and continue his productive, kid looks like a baller out there.  Great toughness and ability to win at the point of attack.

Malik Harrison Ohio State SR OLB: Underrated him a little from the get go, moved him up a decent amount to the top of the 2nd round and could easily go 1st round with his coverage ability and range at a linebacker.  If he shows some more toughness he could become a really talented player for sure, will wait and see what he can do.

Cole Chewins Michigan State RS SR OT: Does get knocked off balance at times but is a long athletic tackle with decent enough pass protection skills.  Moves well and has a decent amount of athletic ability.  Have him as a mid round pick but that could improve if he improves next year.  Michigan State has some other lineman worth watching as well and I like Higby inside at guard potentially, will see if they can actually have an offense next season the offense this past year was awful.

PS Justin Layne is a baller, had him as a mid round pick this up coming draft but kid is wiry and fast.  Decent length and has some nice toughness to him, would not be surprised if he rises come draft day and works out well, smooth in coverage.  I still think though if he would have came back for his senior year he could have totally been in the conversation for being a 1st round pick.  Not sure that will happen for him in 2019.  

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am fully aware that is the list you got it from, you are not the first fan of a team that brings up a PFF list in an attempt to legitimize your point.  Before the season last year a Kansas State fan brought up to me the ranking PFF had on the Kansas State offensive line as proof of their greatness as a collective group  in the nation.  Specifically Abdul Beecham who I had as a late round pick then, now I have him as a undrafted player, decent prospect but yeah never thought his ceiling was that high he did.  If you like PFF so much go get their 2020 7 round mock from them, wait they do not have one is my guess.  

I do not base things off what some website says or ranks, this is only on the players I have seen and watched and is not based on other lists I have seen because I do not look at them and there are really no lists like this out there.  So dislike it if you want, but watching more than one team over and over gives perspective to prospects and just how good some are compared to the rest.  But no you personal team has the best players at all times, sure believe that.  And of course you do not want Ferguson to leave early, then the team would not be as good the following season.   But I base it on best players leave and he is one of the best TE prospects and is eligible so it is totally a possibly not ignorant it is a reality.  

If you knew it was from PFF why did you ask?

Honest question, do you think you are the only person who can evaluate talent?  I think most people acknowledge that there are others who have the skills to do it as well and take their thoughts/points into consideration.  Especially people who have more experience watching/evaluating certain teams or players.

I argue this because you seem to only value your own judgement and base all your “facts” on what you see, which you then argue are always correct.  There is a lot of value in collaboration.  Also, there is a reason many people swear by PFF, because it doesn’t look at just stats.

I appreciate your opinion and will always engage in debate as I think you bring up a lot of good points but be willing to do the same.

You think I talk up my teams players, and maybe I do, but I never over-value them.  I’ve never said any Badger player is deserving of a 1st round pick this year.  I only argue to their skill set.  Finally, regarding Ferguson, if you can name me one player that has left UW after their RSO year I’ll shut up about it. 

2 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

If you knew it was from PFF why did you ask?

Honest question, do you think you are the only person who can evaluate talent?  I think most people acknowledge that there are others who have the skills to do it as well and take their thoughts/points into consideration.  Especially people who have more experience watching/evaluating certain teams or players.

I argue this because you seem to only value your own judgement and base all your “facts” on what you see, which you then argue are always correct.  There is a lot of value in collaboration.  Also, there is a reason many people swear by PFF, because it doesn’t look at just stats.

I appreciate your opinion and will always engage in debate as I think you bring up a lot of good points but be willing to do the same.

You think I talk up my teams players, and maybe I do, but I never over-value them.  I’ve never said any Badger player is deserving of a 1st round pick this year.  I only argue to their skill set.  Finally, regarding Ferguson, if you can name me one player that has left UW after their RSO year I’ll shut up about it. 

I know it is really damn easy for a guys to talk a bunch of crap, and get some list on the internet some where, change it around and call it their own opinion.  I know others can evaluate talent and do so for fun like I do.  But I also know that if you look that much at what others say their opinion becomes your opinion and thus it is not really your opinion anymore is it.  I like to try and go into things a little more fresh and not just saying what I heard someone say or list.  Sure near the end I look back at what others might of had but it is more fun to do it the other way around.  That is why I had a 7 round ranking last year in March for the 2019 draft and why I have a 7 round ranking now for 2020 in February now.  Lists like that are not really out there so it is a first look at things in a way.  So yeah I will not follow PFF and just say what they said as proof of anything, dislike that go read PFF or some other paid subscription scouting service.    I do not have a subscription to them or any other service.

Heck even 7 round mocks in the Mock draft forum, those guys rarely have seen every player play that they are ranking and putting in that mock draft.  Just go on it based on position needs and what lists other guys around have out there and put them in and move them around.  Sure that is fun but the work involved it making a 7 round mock ranking like this and actually watching all of these players, yeah it is a lot of freaking work and time.  

In terms of Wisconsin having a RS SOPH leave, usually they are never good enough to leave that early.  Only one that comes to mind is TJ Watt but he did have a injury in one of those years and a RS year as well, still only played two seasons of college football and only one of those was a great dominating year.  If Taylor was a RS SOPH this past year, think he would have not left?  If you are good enough usually you go, sure sometimes not but a lot of the time yes.  Why did TJ Hockenson come out early as a RS SOPH, or Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy?  Because they could and did and have 1st round potential and I think Ferguson with a great year could do the exact same and would be in that late 1st or 2nd round range.  Think Minnesota had tons of players leave as RS SOPH prospects?  But Maxx Williams did it a few years back because he had the opportunity was one of the better TE prospects in the nation and took advantage of it, now his pro career has not really turned out all that well but is hard to get time with the Ravens who have what 4 totally legit TEs on the roster. Still it happens and happens all the time RS SOPH players or JRs.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I know it is really damn easy for a guys to talk a bunch of crap, and get some list on the internet some where, change it around and call it their own opinion.  I know others can evaluate talent and do so for fun like I do.  But I also know that if you look that much at what others say their opinion becomes your opinion and thus it is not really your opinion anymore is it.  I like to try and go into things a little more fresh and not just saying what I heard someone say or list.  Sure near the end I look back at what others might of had but it is more fun to do it the other way around.  That is why I had a 7 round ranking last year in March for the 2019 draft and why I have a 7 round ranking now for 2020 in February now.  Lists like that are not really out there so it is a first look at things in a way.  So yeah I will not follow PFF and just say what they said as proof of anything, dislike that go read PFF or some other paid subscription scouting service.    I do not have a subscription to them or any other service.

Heck even 7 round mocks in the Mock draft forum, those guys rarely have seen every player play that they are ranking and putting in that mock draft.  Just go on it based on position needs and what lists other guys around have out there and put them in and move them around.  Sure that is fun but the work involved it making a 7 round mock ranking like this and actually watching all of these players, yeah it is a lot of freaking work and time.  

In terms of Wisconsin having a RS SOPH leave, usually they are never good enough to leave that early.  Only one that comes to mind is TJ Watt but he did have a injury in one of those years and a RS year as well, still only played two seasons of college football and only one of those was a great dominating year.  If Taylor was a RS SOPH this past year, think he would have not left?  If you are good enough usually you go, sure sometimes not but a lot of the time yes.  Why did TJ Hockenson come out early as a RS SOPH, or Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy?  Because they could and did and have 1st round potential and I think Ferguson with a great year could do the exact same and would be in that late 1st or 2nd round range.  Think Minnesota had tons of players leave as RS SOPH prospects?  But Maxx Williams did it a few years back because he had the opportunity was one of the better TE prospects in the nation and took advantage of it, now his pro career has not really turned out all that well but is hard to get time with the Ravens who have what 4 totally legit TEs on the roster. Still it happens and happens all the time RS SOPH players or JRs.

Thanks for telling me a bunch of **** I already know...and not answering my question. Cheers.

Watt switched sides on the ball, if he hadn’t he wouldn’t even have been drafted.

Don't compare apples to fish

Also not a lot of people have time to watch every prospect because of having their own life to worry about so it helps to take from others notes/experience...just saying.

Did not include Divine Deablo RS JR S next year in the ranking, had him up there but late in the season the guy was just all over the place and that VT defense got ripped apart late.  Thought they had some talent on the secondary, maybe it was just those last few games but they really have to improve and bring it this up coming season.  Deablo is a big talented kid but needs to show he can handle deep coverage as a safety.

Another guy I did not include who could easily come out is Anthony McFarland Maryland RS SOPH RB, big time talent of course and with another strong year even in a strong RB class I could see him coming out.  Still would be hard to be picked higher than the 2nd or 3rd round with him but will see how he does this up coming year.  Out of all these guys he as a RS SOPH I think is very likely he does declare talent wise but will see.

Could also say the same for Jatarvious Whitlow RB Auburn RS SOPH, could come out early as well with a good season.  Good lower body build and strong runner, did not have an amazing year but I expect him to do quite well next season for Auburn.  Could say the same thing for Abraham Lucas Washington State RS SOPH OT, especially if Dillard plays well this up coming year in the NFL, might make the very talented Lucas think about coming out as well.  He would have to make some huge gains but Calvin Ashley Auburn RS SOPH OG/OT is a big athlete who looks good at times, still has a long ways to go and did not include him either but is on the radar for sure, will see if he can put it together during the season.

Also Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State S JR, did not include in the original list but might after watching him more.  Love his size for the safety position but needs to be a little more instinctive out there.  Physically he looks the part and might want to get out of town after the season, will see.   

Prospects coming off major injuries:

Trey Smith Tennessee JR OT - I just hope he can play football again, not totally sure if he can or not so projecting him a lot having him in the 1st round.  If he is healthy he is easily one of the most talented young linemen in the nation.  Hope he can get back off that blood clot scare last season but will see might still be an issue.

Trey Adams Washington RS SR OT - Was able to play a little last season but has been hurt a lot the past two years.  See if he can finally stay healthy for a season, good for him he looked decent playing the little he did at the end of this past year which is a good sign.

McKenzie Milton UCF SR QB - Awful leg injury, not sure if he will even be able to play this year but has a lot of moxie and toughness, will see if he can come back from it.

Ross Blacklock TCU RS JR DT - I had him as a possibly early entry guy last season, is a talented kid, big body who can move out there.  Will see if he can get back into form or not.

Terrell Lewis Alabama SR OLB - Has been hurt badly the past two seasons, this most recent year he obviously did not play basically at all.  Is a big strong kid but needs to be able to stay on the field.  See if he can this year and they will need it on the edge for sure at Bama.

Antonie Winfield Jr. Minnesota RS JR S - Had a good start to the season, has a lot of potential as a safety in terms of tackling and playmaking but has been hurt on and off the past two seasons.  

Prospect Transfers with a lot to prove:

Jacob Eason Washington RS JR QB - Will see what he can do with a chance to play and start in a very solid program and system.  Local kid coming home but also comes a ton of pressure.

Manny Bowen Utah RS SR OLB - Excited to see how he is, was kicked out of school at Penn State, very athletic linebacker and is a curious fit in Utah, could do some things with Hansen and Barton off the team now on to the NFL.

Deondre Francois NA RS SR QB - No clue where he will end up or if he will even play football this next season.  Got in trouble a little before last year with the drug charges but this is at an entirely different level.  Crazy his career might be over after showing such promise as a RS FR player.

Juwan Johnson NA RS SR WR - Awesome physical athlete, no clue where he will be either.  See if he can finally put it together being his last season, I hear he is visiting Oregon.  Would be an interesting fit with obvious a QB who could get him the football for sure.

There’s so much subjectivity, so seeing your opinion is interesting and impressive that you can list out 7 rounds of draftable players roughly in order of talent and projection from what you’ve seen.

i don’t see any point in hating it, except maybe some guys that are upset about not enough guys from their school or something. 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, Ozzy said:

Made some changes to the list already, watched that Ohio State vs Michigan State game this past year again.

Kenny Willekes Michigan State RS SR DE: Moved him up to the 1st round and could be higher, had him originally in the 2nd round.  Liked him before but after watching him some more damn that kid is impressive.  Can just walk offensive tackles back and really knows how to penetrate and make plays.  Hopefully he does not have some arm issue wearing that massive brace on there but if he can stay healthy and continue his productive, kid looks like a baller out there.  Great toughness and ability to win at the point of attack.

Willikes is a stud muffin for sure.

Malik Harrison Ohio State SR OLB: Underrated him a little from the get go, moved him up a decent amount to the top of the 2nd round and could easily go 1st round with his coverage ability and range at a linebacker.  If he shows some more toughness he could become a really talented player for sure, will wait and see what he can do.

Probably my #1 OLB for next year. He's got range for days, doesn't miss tackles, and is excellent in coverage.

PS Justin Layne is a baller, had him as a mid round pick this up coming draft but kid is wiry and fast.  Decent length and has some nice toughness to him, would not be surprised if he rises come draft day and works out well, smooth in coverage.  I still think though if he would have came back for his senior year he could have totally been in the conversation for being a 1st round pick.  Not sure that will happen for him in 2019.  

Isn't he in this year's NFL draft? Layne is a stud and will end up starting for somebody.

51 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Willikes is a stud muffin for sure.

Probably my #1 OLB for next year. He's got range for days, doesn't miss tackles, and is excellent in coverage.

Isn't he in this year's NFL draft? Layne is a stud and will end up starting for somebody.

Harrison's coverage ability does make him interesting, how good he is in space.  I really liked Jerome Baker off Ohio State a year ago and thought he was a great all around backer, I do not like Harrison as much as Baker but has some of the same skills.  Want to see Harrison a little stronger at the point of attack and more consistent, was part of an awful D at Ohio State at times during last season but they did improve a ton later on in the season, very uncharacteristic of them and that program.

Yeah Layne is in the 2019 class, I am just saying if he went back to school arguably in 2020 he would have been a 1st round pick.  Still could be in 2019 but is way more likely in 2020.  

Some more transfers to pay attention to possibly.

Lawrence Cager Georgia SR WR - Finally will get a chance to perform like he can potentially, love his big frame and glad he is getting another shot, should be very key for that Georgia offense and could get a lot of action.

Kekoa Crawford Cal RS JR WR  - I liked him on Michigan, good athletic ability and hands, will see what he can do at Cal.  Very really took off while at Michigan.  

Trevon Hill Miami FL SR RS OLB/DE - Excited to see him in that Manny Diaz defense, is a decent rush end with good size and quickness.  I believe he is a graduate transfer so should be able to play right away and have an impact possibly.

Shane Buechele SMU SR QB - Former Texas QB getting another shot, always liked his touch and feel as a passer.  At times looked very good especially as a freshman, but now with Ehlinger he will not get a chance.  Glad to see he got another shot at SMU and should start right away.

Van Jefferson Florida SR WR - Was on Florida last year, I believe he has another season could improve and play quite well will see.  Former Ole Miss WR that has a lot of athletic upside.

Ozzy how do you view this QB class. I think it's pretty good when you got Tua, Huebert, Frohm, Eason and Hurts as potential 1st rounders. I know you don't like Frohm and didn't see Hurts early on your draft so wanted to know your complete take about QB class and other QBs I didn't mention 

7 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Ozzy how do you view this QB class. I think it's pretty good when you got Tua, Huebert, Frohm, Eason and Hurts as potential 1st rounders. I know you don't like Frohm and didn't see Hurts early on your draft so wanted to know your complete take about QB class and other QBs I didn't mention 

Yes it could be pretty solid with Tua And Hebert, both of those guys I would easily take over any QB in this 2019 draft potentially.  Eason is a projected 1st rounder, assuming he has improved from his time at Georgia.  Arm talent wise he has arguably the best arm in the class but does have to work on other parts of his game.

In terms of Fromm, the issue with him again I do not see an elite arm, and he has never passed for over 3000 yards in a season ever at Georgia.  Aaron Murray who was a 5th round pick out of Georgia, started four years in a row and passed for well over 3000 yards every season he played included his FR and SOPH years.  He is no longer in the NFL and clearly never did much when he was in the league.  So if he struggled then what makes Fromm so much different than him?  Murray showed just as much promise if not more as a young player compared to Fromm.  Like I said will see how Fromm does with far less talent around him potentially and less weapons, see if he can still be productive or not.  Had that great game against Georgia but did not look the same against Texas and his ceiling as a prospect I am not sure it is very high.

In terms of Hurts, that is nuts to call him a 1st round pick I feel.  He is very limited as a passer, maybe OU will get him and he will be great but he struggled on Alabama and they do not have a horrible offense, they have great WRs, RBs and a good OL.  Hurts is a awesome leader and that might get him a shot at the league, but I could argue he might not even win the starting job at Oklahoma but will see.  Awesome athlete, possible position change to RB or HB unless he keeps improving, granted this past year on Bama was his best year as a passer and maybe he can continue that progression and become a legit NFL prospect.  But right now he is not a legit NFL QB prospect to me.  

Once more Jordan Love is WAY better than Fromm or Hurts for that matter.  That is why I had him in the 1st and those guys not.  Sam Ehlinger or KJ Costello could come out early as well in 2020 but I think both have to progress as passers, KJ needs to be better in the pocket and Ehlinger needs to show he can consistently make throws down field.

Steven Montez has a ton of talent and could climb come 2020 but he would have to put together a great year to do that.  And Shea Patterson is talented and athletic, but again would have to put together a great year to be drafted 1st round and not sure that will happen.  

Jon Dietzen Wisconsin RS SR OG is retiring.  I had him as a late 2nd rounder but updated the list now without him.   Had good potential and is a physical guard for sure, will hurt that Wisconsin OL next year a lot without him there, too bad for him as a prospect he had to call it quits because of injury.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25973971/wisconsin-jon-dietzen-announces-retirement-due-injuries

Some other new transfers coming up:

Calvin Ashley RS FR OT Auburn - Surprised he is leaving Auburn, thought he was very talented in spring ball, huge size and very athlete but clearly never got the starting job and might not get it next year so probably wanted to see what he could do when he can play.  Disappointing he never won the position but will see how he does in another school, big time recruit for sure just like Boyd on Illinois who is also on the move.  Has some time to play as well being only a RS FR this year.

Parker Braun JR OG Georgia Tech - Is a huge transfer, graduate transfer I believe and has one year left.  Is a big time player ALL ACC guard, is a little undersized but in the right system could be awesome.  Will probably help his pro prospectus also because he will be able to show himself in more of a  typical college offense compared to what GT ran.  I need to watch him some more but the kid can clearly run block and has a nasty side to him.

Marcus Lewis RS JR CB Maryland- Leaving Maryland, has decent ability and physical size for a corner but still has to put it all together.  Has one more year I believe to play, will see what he can do in a different environment.  

Landon Dickerson JR OT Florida State - Some liked him, I was never a huge fan but was a hyped recruit, has some ability but was part of an awful OL on Florida State last year.  Will see how he does in a new setting, believe he has only one more year left but might be wrong.

Jaelan Phillips SOPH DE/LB UCLA - I thought he retired from football, I guess not, not sure if they said that just because he wanted out.  Is apparently looking at Stanford and USC and maybe Miami FL.  Is a big time recruit of course and physically as a prospect is worth paying attention to.  But clearly has injury issues and still has to actually show he is a legit player who can make plays.  

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Some other new transfers coming up:

Calvin Ashley RS FR OT Auburn - Surprised he is leaving Auburn, thought he was very talented in spring ball, huge size and very athlete but clearly never got the starting job and might not get it next year so probably wanted to see what he could do when he can play.  Disappointing he never won the position but will see how he does in another school, big time recruit for sure just like Boyd on Illinois who is also on the move.  Has some time to play as well being only a RS FR this year.

Parker Braun JR OG Georgia Tech - Is a huge transfer, graduate transfer I believe and has one year left.  Is a big time player ALL ACC guard, is a little undersized but in the right system could be awesome.  Will probably help his pro prospectus also because he will be able to show himself in more of a  typical college offense compared to what GT ran.  I need to watch him some more but the kid can clearly run block and has a nasty side to him.

Marcus Lewis RS JR CB Maryland- Leaving Maryland, has decent ability and physical size for a corner but still has to put it all together.  Has one more year I believe to play, will see what he can do in a different environment.  

Landon Dickerson JR OT Florida State - Some liked him, I was never a huge fan but was a hyped recruit, has some ability but was part of an awful OL on Florida State last year.  Will see how he does in a new setting, believe he has only one more year left but might be wrong.

Jaelan Phillips SOPH DE/LB UCLA - I thought he retired from football, I guess not, not sure if they said that just because he wanted out.  Is apparently looking at Stanford and USC and maybe Miami FL.  Is a big time recruit of course and physically as a prospect is worth paying attention to.  But clearly has injury issues and still has to actually show he is a legit player who can make plays.  

Dickerson problem is injuries. Has never stayed healthy. Doubt he has an NFL future. Agreed about Parker Braun but think he would have been fine regardless, see Shaq Mason.

10 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Dickerson problem is injuries. Has never stayed healthy. Doubt he has an NFL future. Agreed about Parker Braun but think he would have been fine regardless, see Shaq Mason.

I agree, never have been super impressed with Dickerson but will see if new surroundings helps him.  I disagree Parker Braun would be fine regardless, look at Shamire Devine off GT last season, freaking 6-7 380 dude that could just move people but in that offense and what he was asked to do does not translate to the NFL well.  Still surprised no one gave him a chance, but arguably if he went to another school to play football he might of had more of a shot at the next level.  It will help Braun big time possibly going to another program and he is shown the ability to pass protect more, still at that 280 size that is very small for any NFL OL I feel.  

Shaq Mason sure, I loved that guy coming out of college, I had him as the best OG in that class but even he dropped in the draft because of the offense he played in at GT.  Many thought his ability might not translate, sure easy to say now since he has been successful but when they drafted him few thought he would be the player he was now and few liked him as much as I did when he was in college.