2020 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (+weekly prospect standouts)

Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Also Winfree being drafted out of Colorado, I assume he is a special teams gunner or something because is that the reason as to why he was picked because as a pure WR I barely even noticed him to be honest.  

Same agent as Phillip Lindsay. Elway threw two bones this draft. The Watson trade and this pick 

If they meet the projected development and avoid setbacks(injuries), Iowa will have 3 guys go in top 50

DE AJ Epenesa- Possibly best DE in next year's draft

LT Alaric Jackson- all around great prospect. Size, and capable at both run and pass protection. Quick feet and good hands

RT Tristan Wirfs- Y'all will salivate over this kid. Highest ceiling I've seen at Iowa for a Offensive line prospect. Said to be strongest G/T they've ever had. Superb in pass protection. Needs improvement on run protection but Spring practice reports are that the light bulb has turned on here and he's going to dominate.

You heard it here first. Potential to be best Oline prospect out of Iowa under Ferentz

Edited by Hawkeyejam

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Same agent as Phillip Lindsay. Elway threw two bones this draft. The Watson trade and this pick 

Phillip Lindsay was under drafted obviously after that blazing 40 time, he should have at least been a 6th or 7th rounder especially with the trash RBs that were picked in those rounds instead.  But people feared his size I am sure, but obviously did amazing as a rookie.  Still no clue why they drafted that Colorado WR, Lindsay in college showed something, Winfree did not show much I feel in college but will see.

1 hour ago, Hawkeyejam said:

If they meet the projected development and avoid setbacks(injuries), Iowa will have 3 guys go in top 50

DE AJ Epenesa- Possibly best DE in next year's draft

LT Alaric Jackson- all around great prospect. Size, and capable at both run and pass protection. Quick feet and good hands

RT Tristan Wirfs- Y'all will salivate over this kid. Highest ceiling I've seen at Iowa for a Offensive line prospect. Said to be strongest G/T they've ever had. Superb in pass protection. Needs improvement on run protection but Spring practice reports are that the light bulb has turned on here and he's going to dominate.

You heard it here first. Potential to be best Oline prospect out of Iowa under Ferentz

I brought up Wirfs here before you did;)  I agree though he is very talented but he has to take that talent and translate it over to the field more.  Does get off balance like I said, has great upside though no doubt especially with what he has shown in the weight room.  Will see how he plays this year, not quite ready to put him in the Hall of Fame or something just based on weight room production or spring practice production.  Has the profile athletically but again needs to translate it over to the field and become dominating there.

Epenesa is not the best DE in next years draft, Chase Young is as of right now but that could change.  Jackson I like but might be more a OG, but could also play RT, he has 1st round potential no doubt as well.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Phillip Lindsay was under drafted obviously after that blazing 40 time, he should have at least been a 6th or 7th rounder especially with the trash RBs that were picked in those rounds instead.  But people feared his size I am sure, but obviously did amazing as a rookie.  Still no clue why they drafted that Colorado WR, Lindsay in college showed something, Winfree did not show much I feel in college but will see.

I brought up Wirfs here before you did;)  I agree though he is very talented but he has to take that talent and translate it over to the field more.  Does get off balance like I said, has great upside though no doubt especially with what he has shown in the weight room.  Will see how he plays this year, not quite ready to put him in the Hall of Fame or something just based on weight room production or spring practice production.  Has the profile athletically but again needs to translate it over to the field and become dominating there.

Epenesa is not the best DE in next years draft, Chase Young is as of right now but that could change.  Jackson I like but might be more a OG, but could also play RT, he has 1st round potential no doubt as well.  

We'll see on best DE. I've seen both listed as potential top 10 picks. To be fair, Chase has been ahead on mock projections but Epenesa outproduced Young on far less snaps last year. He's bigger and stronger. I have no problem leading the Epenesa bandwagon. 6'5 275 and able to block punts as a edge rusher. Has the ability to be a Jared Allen type talent. 

Jackson can't play RT. Wirfs would play LT but Jackson isn't consistent at RT. I actually really like Jackson at LT. He has very good lateral quickness and can recognize and adjust to different rushers in pass protection. Jackson has high ceiling though. Only been playing consistent football since his JR year of HS.

Wirfs is special. Wouldn't shock me to see him go in top 12. That's how highly thought of he is on campus. He came into Iowa as a freshman at 6'5 317. 

offensive-lineman-tristan-wirfs-of-the-i

15 hours ago, Hawkeyejam said:

He hang cleans 500 pounds

Dmi-Ai-Bx-Xo-AAQu-Hy.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hawkeyejam said:

We'll see on best DE. I've seen both listed as potential top 10 picks. To be fair, Chase has been ahead on mock projections but Epenesa outproduced Young on far less snaps last year. He's bigger and stronger. I have no problem leading the Epenesa bandwagon. 6'5 275 and able to block punts as a edge rusher. Has the ability to be a Jared Allen type talent. 

Jackson can't play RT. Wirfs would play LT but Jackson isn't consistent at RT. I actually really like Jackson at LT. He has very good lateral quickness and can recognize and adjust to different rushers in pass protection. Jackson has high ceiling though. Only been playing consistent football since his JR year of HS.

Wirfs is special. Wouldn't shock me to see him go in top 12. That's how highly thought of he is on campus. He came into Iowa as a freshman at 6'5 317. 

Epenesa I like and he is a 1st round pick no question about it.  He has a great get off and a high motor for sure, Young really came on last year and played pretty well even without Bosa in the lineup, will see if he can continue that.  The Big Ten is stacked, they have arguably 5 out of the top 6 potential DEs in the 2020 draft.  

Wirfs I do need to watch more but after the numbers he put up in the weight room recently he will be on everyone's radar no question.  Not quite ready to put him that high but I will have to dig into his tape a little more, from what I have seen it is pretty solid.  Jackson I do not love his build, a little bottom heavy but he has been a solid player for awhile.  Crazy that they have so much consistent OL and TE talent yet the backs they get seem to really be ehh prospects.  Wadley I thought maybe had a chance at the league and even he could not get into the NFL, and despite having solid OL talent they rarely run the ball great or have great RB prospects much less receivers prospects.

Wirfs no doubt will be fun to watch this year though, will see if he can truly become that elite level prospect he is being hyped to be.    

53 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Epenesa I like and he is a 1st round pick no question about it.  He has a great get off and a high motor for sure, Young really came on last year and played pretty well even without Bosa in the lineup, will see if he can continue that.  The Big Ten is stacked, they have arguably 5 out of the top 6 potential DEs in the 2020 draft.  

Wirfs I do need to watch more but after the numbers he put up in the weight room recently he will be on everyone's radar no question.  Not quite ready to put him that high but I will have to dig into his tape a little more, from what I have seen it is pretty solid.  Jackson I do not love his build, a little bottom heavy but he has been a solid player for awhile.  Crazy that they have so much consistent OL and TE talent yet the backs they get seem to really be ehh prospects.  Wadley I thought maybe had a chance at the league and even he could not get into the NFL, and despite having solid OL talent they rarely run the ball great or have great RB prospects much less receivers prospects.

Wirfs no doubt will be fun to watch this year though, will see if he can truly become that elite level prospect he is being hyped to be.    

If Iowa could learn to recruit QBs and WRs they'd have quite a few more years like 2015 and 2009 then the 8-4 type seasons. They've done a better job at it but still not where they need to be.

RBs Iowa has just had rotten luck. Both Melvin Gordon and Eno Benjamin were once committed to Iowa. Shonn Greene was here, and Iowa was the favorite to get Mark Ingram before Alabama got involved late. They've had 4 stars that didn't pan out or got themselves in trouble. 

I see David Woodward as potential late round 2/early round 3 guy if he tests well and fills out his frame a little more. I like him. This LB class could be really good.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I see David Woodward as potential late round 2/early round 3 guy if he tests well and fills out his frame a little more. I like him. This LB class could be really good.

I agree, I like Woodward a lot.  I liked him play last year and he was wildly productive.  I did not include him as a early entry guy because I think he has to physically develop a little more being a RS JR next year.  Could declare though especially if he graduates and everything, in terms of football I feel he needs some more time but maybe he will take his game to an even higher level this year.  Was great this past year as a RS SOPH.

i can bet money Milton from UCF will not be delaring.entering the draft and will be taking a redshirt year or a 6th year(NCAA will likely grant him one for missing all this coming season). 

i would throw Killins from UCFon  a hotlist probably as a 3rd or 4th rounder cuz hes absolutely explosive with the ball in his hands. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, I like Woodward a lot.  I liked him play last year and he was wildly productive.  I did not include him as a early entry guy because I think he has to physically develop a little more being a RS JR next year.  Could declare though especially if he graduates and everything, in terms of football I feel he needs some more time but maybe he will take his game to an even higher level this year.  Was great this past year as a RS SOPH.

He's better at sifting through trash in the run game to make a tackle than pretty much everyone that came out this year, and he's good in coverage. He's one of the thinner looking 6'2" 235 pounders I've seen though. If he really weighs 235, he's got the frame to hold 245 no prob. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, Hawkeyejam said:

They've had 4 stars that didn't pan out or got themselves in trouble. 

I coached against one of their 4 Stars in like 2008-2009 in the playoffs. I forget his name, but he played for Youngstown Ursaline. Never made it to Iowa for some reason....never made it to CFB.

EDIT: His name was Allen Jones.

Edited by BleedTheClock

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

He's better at sifting through trash in the run game to make a tackle than pretty much everyone that came out this year, and he's good in coverage. He's one of the thinner looking 6'2" 235 pounders I've seen though. If he really weighs 235, he's got the frame to hold 245 no prob. 

That is part of the reason I did not view him as a early entry guy because his body does not look the part yet and still might take some time to develop physically.  That could change this year though, not sure what his off season has been like but in terms of production no doubt he might be ready, just physically he has to catch up a little strength and weight wise to become elite.

I've watched every single game of their Maryland careers and Antoine Brooks Jr. is a better football player at the safety position than Darnell Savage is...and Savage just went 21. Will be interesting where Brooks stands after the season.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

I've watched every single game of their Maryland careers and Antoine Brooks Jr. is a better football player at the safety position than Darnell Savage is...and Savage just went 21. Will be interesting where Brooks stands after the season.

I agree, Brooks is impressive and might be a great hybrid type linebacker in the NFL, a little safety a little OLB.  He is an impressive hitter and has great toughness and passion for the game.  Honestly he stood out more to me watching Maryland games than Savage did but doubt Brooks can run a 40 time like Savage did.  That is the main reason why he was drafted, teams loved that speed range but there is more to safety than just being fast and basically Savage is a corner playing safety but he has some ability.  Not sure he will ever be a 1st round talent though but will see.  Teams just love that speed and have a hard time passing it up, at least Zedrick Woods was not drafted.  He ran that great 40 but on the field did little to nothing I thought for Ole Miss, Savage at least made plays from time to time unlike Woods.

• Like 1