Draft Prospects

jsthomp2007

39 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I sense Denver will either stay put at 10 and take Lock if he's there, or the best defensive player available. I know Klis is shilling for the org all the time, and although I've seen some call smokescreen, he directly keeps mentioning Devin White or various CBs at that spot. 

Trading down also seems to be a real possibility.

Anyway, I think Denver needs to find a TE in this draft. Would like to see maybe Irv Smith in Round 2? Hockenson is a pipe dream since he'll be picked high. Cannot keep rolling into a season with zero viable weapons at the TE position. Some of the best offenses also have the most dynamic TEs. That Denver refuses to adequately address that position is incredibly annoying to me. Hopefully our new OC will be able to convince some folks that having a strong TE (like SF had Kittle) is the right move.

Also...in just seeing the WCO over the last few decades that the Broncos seem to have as their offensive system of choice, they have always had big production from TEs...even in the 49ers offense, Little has come up big for them.  

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Also...in just seeing the WCO over the last few decades that the Broncos seem to have as their offensive system of choice, they have always had big production from TEs...even in the 49ers offense, Little has come up big for them.  

Kittle is a special talent also keep that in mind. He is expolsive as an athlete. He fell due to size concerns of being an inline TE but he was a tremendous run blocker at Iowa. No way should he have fallen that far. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I sense Denver will either stay put at 10 and take Lock if he's there, or the best defensive player available. I know Klis is shilling for the org all the time, and although I've seen some call smokescreen, he directly keeps mentioning Devin White or various CBs at that spot. 

Trading down also seems to be a real possibility.

Anyway, I think Denver needs to find a TE in this draft. Would like to see maybe Irv Smith in Round 2? Hockenson is a pipe dream since he'll be picked high. Cannot keep rolling into a season with zero viable weapons at the TE position. Some of the best offenses also have the most dynamic TEs. That Denver refuses to adequately address that position is incredibly annoying to me. Hopefully our new OC will be able to convince some folks that having a strong TE (like SF had Kittle) is the right move.

It's not that we don't adress it, we just miss there as often as we do at QB.

Pre-Comine, my top 15 draft preferences are:

1: Nick Bosa (OLB) - I know, we have Miller and Chubb but Von's contract lasts 3 more years and you never pass up elite talent. Bosa and Chubb in 2-3 years would keep our elite pass rush.

2: Quinnen Williams (DE) - Elite talent at 5T

3: Ed Oliver (DE) - Potential to be a true difference maker as a 3T. Size is overstated I believe. We'll see after the combine though. Regardless, he plays bigger than his size and can continue to get bigger. His get off and athleticism is top notch though. Bill Kollar working with him would be unfair. 

4: Greedy Williams (CB) - True ball hawk. Can put on weight in the next year or two and will need to be coached to be more physical, but from a coverage/potential standpoint he can be a perennial pro-bowler. 

5: Jonah Williams (T) - Issues of length are exaggerated. Can bring stability to our RT position as he has everything besides nastiness. Foot speed, hand placement, etc. 

6: Jawan Taylor (T) - More of the prototypical size and nastiness while being a very athletic player as well. I see him some what like Cordy Glenn. 

7: Trade Down

8: Cody Ford (T/OG) - Would need to continue to lose a little bit of weight and get under 330lbs. Has the possibility to stick at RT but possibly would have to move to Guard where he can excel as well. 

9: DK Metcalf (WR) - I know, we took two WR's last year. But Sanders will be out after this year. Sutton already has shown he can be an amazing jump ball receiver but I see him as a great #2. Metcalf has everything you would want, Injury concerns being the only question. Hence a target after a trade down. 

10: Byron Murphy (CB) - At minimum he will be an amazing slot CB which is a starter in todays nfl. Size is the only question though has he is physical and has great cover skills.

11: Devon White (ILB) - Im not as high on his as others and the position is one where great players can be found later in the draft. He does have potential though to be amazing if things come together as he has prototypical size and speed. Lacks awareness as he is new to the position though.

12: Kyler Murray (QB) - If Murray was 6'2 there would be no question he's the number 1 pick in the draft. He has arm strength and best pure accuracy in the draft. His size is definitely a cause for concern but after a trade down, he would be worth the risk. Worst case scenario is he leaves for baseball after 2 years of a failed experiment and we're in the position for taking another QB in the 2021 draft (hint hint Lawrence hint). 

13: Andre Dillard (LT) - Dillard is the closest to a pure LT there is in this draft but he comes from a spread scheme which leads to lots of questions. Worth the potential though.

14: Jeffery Simmons (DT) - Aside from injury and possible character concerns (although there has been glowing reviews of him since college) he is an elite talent that we can wait for since we wont be super bowl contenders this year. 

15: Drew Lock (QB) - I'm not the biggest Lock fan, but similar to the Murray explanation, he will have two years to show us he can be a great player, if not we'll be in position to draft a QB in 2021. You miss all the shots you don't take and at option 15, this is a risk worth taking. 

The one caveat that I can't control for is desire/passion for football. I place that incredibly highly in prospects but I won't have the information that teams do on that front. So depending on how the team views that passion, I could see these being rearranged pretty significantly. Top 10 I value potential to be a true difference maker in the league. A possible top 10 player at the position. After that, I want to build a team that would allow a future young QB to have a successful supporting cast (think Texans pre-Watson). We'll see how the combine and more research changes things but i'll probably update this one, maybe two more times before the draft. 

Bonus! Round two targets depending on round 1 outcome:

Jerry Tillery (DE) - 5T

Dalton Risner (RT)

Kelvin Harmon (WR)

Julian Love (CB)

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (SS)

Other players I like:

Germaine Pratt (ILB)

Rodney Anderson (RB)

Taylor Rapp (SS)

With his recent ACL injury, DT Jeffery Simmons' draft stock is sure to tumble. He also has had a isolated domestic incident, but surely has top 7-15 talent IMO. Would you select him in the 2nd round regardless that you wouldn't see him for a year ?? FTR, I would love to get him at 41  !!

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

With his recent ACL injury, DT Jeffery Simmons' draft stock is sure to tumble. He also has had a isolated domestic incident, but surely has top 7-15 talent IMO. Would you select him in the 2nd round regardless that you wouldn't see him for a year ?? FTR, I would love to get him at 41  !!

Yes I would. But I don’t know that Elway would. He has been clean ever since the incident. 

5 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

I don't know these types of moves used to be no brainers for me. Sidney Jones kinda makes you hesitate a bit. Acl is a 2 year injury to completely recover and get all the explosion back . Yeah he will be back year 2 of his rookie deal, but he still has to go through a rookie year knock the rust off, he won't be back to pre injury form until year 3 of his rookie year. If he performs year 3 very well he's gonna want the type of extension he would of gotten as a top 15 pick. He's also gonna want that big deal .

If there are a couple of top 25 ranked players on our board at 41 I say pass get one of those guys developed and in here. But, at some point the talent is gonna out do the other players so much at that selection and it's a no brainer move. I don't know if that's gonna be pick 41 but I'm not ruling it out.

Yeah this team needs an infusion of depth and talent. Burning a high pick just seems risky to me. For a guy that is ultra talented but might not be himself  until 2021. 

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't know these types of moves used to be no brainers for me. Sidney Jones kinda makes you hesitate a bit. Acl is a 2 year injury to completely recover and get all the explosion back . Yeah he will be back year 2 of his rookie deal, but he still has to go through a rookie year knock the rust off, he won't be back to pre injury form until year 3 of his rookie year. If he performs year 3 very well he's gonna want the type of extension he would of gotten as a top 15 pick. He's also gonna want that big deal .

If there are a couple of top 25 ranked players on our board at 41 I say pass get one of those guys developed and in here. But, at some point the talent is gonna out do the other players so much at that selection and it's a no brainer move. I don't know if that's gonna be pick 41 but I'm not ruling it out.

Yeah this team needs an infusion of depth and talent. Burning a high pick just seems risky to me. For a guy that is ultra talented but might not be himself  until 2021. 

I can definitely understand this logic. And for a team with so many holes this would be rough to have to wait for any pay off. But the further you get down the draft the more of a pretty sure thing he becomes. I could see him going first round to the Patriots or Rams teams who can afford to sit him and they get that fifth year contract so essentially he is on a four year deal like any rookie outside of the top 32. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

I can definitely understand this logic. And for a team with so many holes this would be rough to have to wait for any pay off. But the further you get down the draft the more of a pretty sure thing he becomes. I could see him going first round to the Patriots or Rams teams who can afford to sit him and they get that fifth year contract so essentially he is on a four year deal like any rookie outside of the top 32. 

Thats what I end up seeing or raiders round 1 since they have so many firsts they can afford to stash him for a year and get the 4 years out of him. 

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

That is possible but also worst case scenario. Even so, turning a 2nd into potentially a top 10 pick is the kind of risk I’d like to take, especially while we’re still building for the future. Maybe just my fantasy, but it could keep us low enough in the standings to where we could make a move for that franchise QB next year. 

Seems self-evident I guess, but I think the free agent market determines the pick at 10. Whichever position they get priced out of. Corner, linebacker or right tackle.

Also, they have been interviewing a ton of TEs at the combine and it's a nice looking group this year. 

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Seems self-evident I guess, but I think the free agent market determines the pick at 10. Whichever position they get priced out of. Corner, linebacker or right tackle.

Also, they have been interviewing a ton of TEs at the combine and it's a nice looking group this year. 

To be honest, I think even if we sign a top tier FA corner there is still reason to draft one at 10 (that is if the front office believes the CB1 available at 10 is a shutdown CB).

Archived