Vegas "Still Too Early" Mock 2.0

vegas492

Spotrac has GB with $34M under the cap for the next year.

I'm not releasing anyone to create more room.

I"m keeping the RFA's.

As far as our free agents go....I'll take one back.

Breeland, 2 years, $12M.  Give me $5M against the cap.  Down to $29M to spend.

FREE AGENCY:

Image result for Tre Boston pic

Tre Boston:  4 years, $20M.  The safety position is a dumpster fire right now.  Here is a kid with a lot of starts under his belt and just 27 years old.  GB gives him a substantial raise over his contract last year to be a steady veteran hand in the secondary.  Cap hit is a modest $4M.  Down to $25M to spend.

Image result for Anthony Harris pic

Anthony Harris:  3 years, $18M.  Remember the dumster fire at safety?  We need more than one.  Let's raid the Vikings for a change.  Cap hit of $5M.  Down to $20M to spend.

Image result for Shaquil Barrett pic

Shaquil Barrett, EDGE.  3 years, $21M.  Favorite of mine, had him in the last mock, too.  Just 26, can eat snaps and has some rush ability.  Cap hit of $6M.  Down to $14M to spend.

And we are done with free agency.  No real "splash" players, just solidify the safety position, and grab a third tier edge to eat snaps and provide some rush.

Onto the draft....I'm using the CBS board for the top 100, then flipping over to the Draft Network for their list.  

Image result for Clelin Ferrell pic

1.12.  Clellin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson.  My dream comes true.  With a couple of head scratcher picks above GB, it pushes a great EDGE player to #12.  While not twitchy, Ferrell has more than enough speed to get it done.  And power to spare.  Great hands and he's a fighter.  This defense needs a fighter.  And look at those long arms.  He has a nice natural swim/strip move, too.  No sexy trades, just took a guy that fell a little.

Image result for Jawaan Taylor pic

1.30. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida.  Right tackle of the future.  Right guard for now.  Great talent there.  Can really move in the run game, too.  Could be a dominant RT.

Image result for Irv Smith Jr pic

2.12.  Irv Smith, Jr.  TE, Alabama.  Really and all-around tight end here.  Can block, catch, run...etc.  And he did it at a big time program.  Many see him going higher.  I think he's going to run in the mid 4.6s and that will push him down just a little.  Polished route runner, good blocker, all around good kid.

Image result for parris campbell pictures

3.11.  Parris Campbell, Wr.  Ohio State.  Different body size to what GB currently has.  I think he slips some because his route tree looked pretty limited in college.  Speed player.  Will need some development time.  He add some "quick twitch" to the offense that it lacks.  I believe that fans are going to like him more on draft day than GMs.  He is a work in progress, not nearly as polished as many other WR's coming out.  He falls here and GB should jump on him.  

Image result for Oshane Ximines pic

4.12.  Oshane Ximines, EDGE, Old Dominion.  Like corners, you need multiple EDGE guys.  This one has potential.  He's 6'3'' 245 or so.  I like his hands.  I love that he plays hard, really hard.  He's a fighter kind of like Ferrell.  But...he's a poor man's Ferrell.  No real bend or twitch.  He will win with effort, though.

Image result for Khalil Hodge pic

4.16.  Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo.  Things just got real for Oren Burks.  Hodge gets tackles, plain and simple.  He can cover.  I'm expecting him to climb the boards quickly, but if he's here, this is a value pick.  To me, he's very similar to Mack Wilson, though not quite as fluid.

Image result for Terry beckner pic

5.12.  Terry Beckner, DT, Missouri.  5 star recruit.  6'3'' 305.  Strength and quickness.  Great developmental DL.  Has a little "red flag" with marijuana possession.

Image result for Erik McCoy pic

6.12.  Erik McCoy.  IOL, Texas A&M.  Believe he played center, can also play guard.  About 6'3'', so a little under size.  Plenty of power, good athlete.  I like this kid and could see him going much higher.

Image result for Justin Layne pic

6.21.  Justin Layne.  CB.  Michigan State.  Tall at 6'3'', but also fast.  Gets another developmental kid into the system.  Should help out the specials, too.

7.12.  I have no clue....get me a kicker here to compete with Crosby.

In going through this process....that second first round pick and our second round pick are really, really tough to make.  So many good choices there.

Liked finding two EDGE kids, though neither one is "quick twitch".

Loved getting the tackle at the end of round one.  I really like McCoy, too.

Hodge is becoming a favorite of mine at ILB.  

Taking Irv Smith was tough, but I like him.  He's smooth.

I have much fan love for Earl Thomas, but thought that GB could get two mid guys for his price...or thereabouts.  Solidify that safety spot with free agency.  I didn't think any of the guards were worth it this time around.  I thought that taking Barrett (considered Fowler too) was good value.  Then I drafted two EDGE kids, so it is kind of overkill for that spot.  I think Ximines is a developmental kid and probably wouldn't see much time right away.

Great work, only two questions I have regarding the remaining cap & draft.

Do you really think with the holes on this team we leave that much space without adding another piece?

Does Taylor last that long? Some feel him and Dillard have past Jonah Williams on boards as future #1 OTs. 

Nice.  I've got your 7th round pick RB Darwin Thompson.  Offensive toy for LaFluer, plus we need some RB help.  Jones hasn't played a full season yet and we only have two RBs. 

UDFA kicker:  Matt Gay.  At the Senior Bowl the announcers talked about how the ball sounded different off the foot of Matt. 

Would be very happy with this scenario.  Nice!

17 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

Great work, only two questions I have regarding the remaining cap & draft.

Do you really think with the holes on this team we leave that much space without adding another piece? 

Does Taylor last that long? Some feel him and Dillard have past Jonah Williams on boards as future #1 OTs. 

Cap wise...dont spend it if you dont have to. Guessing GB rolls at least 8m over if not more.  I see free agency now more like Fools Gold. Save money to reup our own guys later.

I used 2 different boards for players. Taylor could go higher but he doesnt show LT feet. Hes a RT that should kick inside for a year. Could easily replace him with Risner. Yodney is another T that could be there. Another in the mold of RT that maybe could kick inside.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I thought you guaranteed everyone was going to hate your mock?

You may have me mistaken for another mocker. Lol.

I went into this thing wanting to use FA to solidify the safety spot.

Draft for Edge, oline and TE. Other picks were made for competition and specials. I was surprised where I could get Hodge, Campbell and Ximines.

My only problem is Ximines and Hodge. Both we’re virtually invisible at the senior bowl all week and in the game. Don’t think either one registered anything in the game. Hodge came in really heavy too and looked slow. Ximines looked to have shortish arms and was man handled by the OT’s. 

Otherwise I would love this.  

My only issue would be carrying over 14-15m on a team with a late 30s QB, that's a rebuilding team kind of move.

The draft itself is hard for me because I want to feel like it's a bit light on defense, but we've had to ignore the offense for so long, to add a RT of the future and solidly the TE and WR positions would be really nice.

Overall really nice work.

Archived