Coaching Staff Complete

KingOfNewYork

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't like these two guys together. Vitt called out Williams for not being honest with the investigation with the bounty case with the Saints. I also read that Williams wanted his son to be the LB coach but Gase said NO. Gase came around and let his son be an assistant to the D. This just sounds like too much drama for this team. Makes you wonder who is in charge too. I'm wondering if Williams wants Gase to fail so he can have another shot as HC. I have a funny feeling Gase probably did not want Williams as his DC but the owner or GM told him that will be his DC. I hope I'm wrong but I think there is too many hands in the soup. 

Unless you give the HC full control... rarely do you see a staff of 100% guys they want. The big thing is even if they don’t see eye to eye on things... to not have it show on the field and in the media. Which can be done.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't like these two guys together. Vitt called out Williams for not being honest with the investigation with the bounty case with the Saints. I also read that Williams wanted his son to be the LB coach but Gase said NO. Gase came around and let his son be an assistant to the D. This just sounds like too much drama for this team. Makes you wonder who is in charge too. I'm wondering if Williams wants Gase to fail so he can have another shot as HC. I have a funny feeling Gase probably did not want Williams as his DC but the owner or GM told him that will be his DC. I hope I'm wrong but I think there is too many hands in the soup. 

Coaches pick their staff with this organization. Gase got the guys he wanted. I think both Williams and Vitt are past what happened. The Blake thing was probably an issue that GW had to hone in on and they agreed that an assistant position was best and who knows maybe he works his way up from there. 

Gase’s enthusiasm when discussing Williams showed me he has 100% control over his coaching staff.

5 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think it is clear Gase is in charge.  I agree the combo could be trouble but I would assume (since Vitt is Gase' father  in law) this was discussed prior to hiring Williams.  Which might explain the delay after the initial rumor.  My gut says Williams knew Vitt was coming on board before he decided to be our DC.  We shall see though ....

Personally I don't like the idea of Vitt on the staff either. Vitt is a solid coach, but he's clearly getting the job only because he's Gase's father-in-law. That was the situation in Miami as well. IMO, Frank Bush was enough... he created a role for Vitt in order to have him on the staff. 

What I think Gase should have done was approached this situation the way they did Blake Williams. I didn't mind the Jets pushback on Blake being the LB coach because Frank Bush is more qualified and the Jets had legitimate concerns about his approach. I felt the resolution to have him as a defensive assistant was the right way to go. Instead of being on Gregg's immediate staff, Vitt should have been assigned a similar role he had in Miami: "Director, football and player development". This would've allowed him to be close with the team and players without having to be in the defensive room, but its clear to me that Vitt wanted to get back into coaching and Gase let family matters influence that decision. 

I don't think (am hopeful) that the Williams/Vitt relationship will create unnecessary distraction. These guys are veteran coaches, its been a long time, and I think Gregg Williams has less animosity about the bounty gate scandal since his reinstatement. He's still largely considered one of the best defensive coaches in the game; his ego has somewhat been "fed" so to speak.  

It will be fascinating to see how it plays out. In one respect I like the edginess, but in another I don't want it to result in a revolt against Gase. He needs to manage this very very delicately, and if anything, he should give Gregg more latitude than his father-in-law. 

Yeah I think the Gase-Gregg dynamic will be just fine, if you look back at his NO days there were a number of cases where him and Sean Payton would curse each other out at practice just because of the whole Offense vs Defense mentality 

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/breaking-down-the-jets-newly-announced-2019-coaching-staff/303728130

Good read that makes a few interesting points. It does feels like the Jets took a “best coach available” approach to their staff, especially on offense. Both Jim Bob Cooter and new TEs coach John Dunn are known as bright young offensive coaches (with play calling experience) that have been lauded for their work with QBs. Neither have experience at their respective postions on the Jets staff. Bo Hardegree was the QB coach in Miami for all 3 years under Gase, and despite Loggains holding that title for the Jets, Bo was brought on as an offensive assistant. Seems to me that Gase was set on adding as many young bright offensive minds to the offensive staff that he could. Check out the age of some of the offensive staff:

Adam Gase - 40 years old

Shawn Jefferson - 49 years old

Dowell Loggains - 38 years old

John Dunn - 36 years old

Bo Hardegree - 34 years old

Another point that article makes is that quite a few of the staff hires took demotions to join the Jets staff, possibly signaling that the Jets were an attractive coaching destination this offseason.

16 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/breaking-down-the-jets-newly-announced-2019-coaching-staff/303728130

Good read that makes a few interesting points. It does feels like the Jets took a “best coach available” approach to their staff, especially on offense. Both Jim Bob Cooter and new TEs coach John Dunn are known as bright young offensive coaches (with play calling experience) that have been lauded for their work with QBs. Neither have experience at their respective postions on the Jets staff. Bo Hardegree was the QB coach in Miami for all 3 years under Gase, and despite Loggains holding that title for the Jets, Bo was brought on as an offensive assistant. Seems to me that Gase was set on adding as many young bright offensive minds to the offensive staff that he could. Check out the age of some of the offensive staff:

Adam Gase - 40 years old

Shawn Jefferson - 49 years old

Dowell Loggains - 38 years old

John Dunn - 36 years old

Bo Hardegree - 34 years old

Another point that article makes is that quite a few of the staff hires took demotions to join the Jets staff, possibly signaling that the Jets were an attractive coaching destination this offseason.

I felt the same way. Yes Loggains has the title of OC, but honestly seems like he’s more of an assistant head coach. Another interesting yet unsurprising aspect of our offensive staff: 5-of-8 coaches have extensive backgrounds coaching QBs (including Gase). 

Again as mentioned earlier, Gase wants to keep the QB room small but a lot of guys on this staff “see through the eyes of a QB” 

Nice article on John Dunn's coaching style. Seems to be a really detailed guy and a good teacher. Looking forward to seeing his impact on Herndon. I'm also interested to see if Leggett grows into the number 2 TE role. Both of these guys are big and athletic and can help in the red zone. Leggett graded better than I would have expected. Herndon seems like a safe bet to be a solid number 1, but if Leggett can be a solid number 2 guy that would go a long way. We can have a pretty tough red zone unit with those two at TE and Enunwa out wide as all three of those guys can block and catch. 

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-uconn-football-coaches-20180824-story.html

Archived