Packers @ Broncos: Week 3 GDT

broncosfan07

GDTs  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How should we handle GDTs?

• Traditional Way

The only preseason game that really matters in gearing up for the season.

Hopefully with Trevor being named the starter he can play loose. 

Still some key position battles

-It's probably more a matter of time that Barbre is named the starter, would like to see the final 5 locked down and get time to gel as a unit.

-How many RBs are we actually going to keep? Theoretically we should be keeping 5, usually the bottom 3 end up playing a great deal on ST. Only way Charles makes the team is if he makes enough of an impression to either jump Booker or force the staff to cut short another position for ST depth. 

-Latimer has had a pretty good camp but is it enough to finally lock down the 3rd WR spot? We really need him or someone to step up and give us production in that spot that we haven't seen since Welker was here. 

How do we want to handle GDT's this season? Typically in the past one person has made it until we lose then someone else steps up. 

It's @elliot878 's call but it seems a good tradition to continue the winning streak principle.  I don't think the preseason counts for the W-L though.  ??

For all the public posturing about being excited to see JC, Joseph and co. Clearly use the pressers to say the vanilla lines but make the harder decisions behind closed doors.   I'd think JC is hard pressed to win a job and this might not be just an audition to stay with us but a nod to let him audition for other teams as well.  Booker can play ST, JC can't.  It's doubtful D-Henderson will be asked to be a ST gunner, and he's done enough that getting through waivers and being snuck on the PS isn't a lock.  Janovich is a lock.  Ridley is a LOT cheaper.  And can be cut neatly if Booker returns healthy.   JC costs us a lot more to keep him on the roster and play him each week.  Unless he is the JC of old it's not worth it.   I suspect this could be a live tryout for another team TBH.  

Hopefully we see Barbre and Bolles together.   We need them to gel and Watson/Leary to do the same.   Pass pro from our RB also matters to give help to the T which also hurts JC.  

I'll also be looking closer at the DL - Gotsis and Kerr were decent but that SF OL wasn't playing well.  Facing a much better OL will be a good test.   We need more guys to step up as well.  Now that our QB issue is decided I imagine the DL will get a lot of attention given our run D weaknesses.

Finally the WR job battle comes to a head - I really think our team is better off with Latimer as 3rd WR and Raymond making the team and returning kicks (punts too if  McKenzie struggles / gets hurt).   Plus he's shown well albeit in 2H at WR.   C-Henderson can go to IR and learn there.   

Finally ST should get better this week.   Olivo had a lot of different guys in different roles so struggles were understandable.   But not once our unit personnel have been ID'd which I'd hope 90+ percent of personnel decisions are done.  Better coverage is something to look for this week.

Sucks I'm still away will have to find an internet feed but happy QB is settled.   Hopefully LG/DL/ST/3rd WR / last WR issues get settled with more clarity after this week.  

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Charles looks good and may have earned his spot as our 3rd down back. Pleasure to watch him in pass pro.

He definitely looks better than Booker imo. I like Henderson but he's probably the 4th string and has to grind his way on ST this season.

Ugh @ D-Henderson fumbles.  That and pass pro issues kill rookie chances.   Before this week almost no shot he would clear waivers without clear risk.  Now Elway will likely take the shot.

JC made the team with tonight's performance.   That's actually the worst case scenario unfolding IMO.  Not because I question JC's skill when healthy.  But the likelihood he can mantain it?  Not hopeful.  Given the cost we are now taking on, not optimistic it will work out than if we parted ways.  The $ saved (could cost us up to 5m more, 1.4M right off the bat now,  likely locks in 2M minimum) could have helped address bigger needs now and next year.  Oh well.   

Caught up with the game.

Nice performance from Charles and glad to see he's made the team. I hope he shows he can maintain this performance throughout the season and prove he was a good pickup.Think he feels he has something to prove following his departure from KC so I don't see motivation being an issue. 

Trevor showed some good movement. Not usual to see him leave the pocket but at least he showed its something he can do. Hopefully Lynch isn't too seriously injured so that he can focus on his development rather than rehab and Sloter looked good when he came in.

Still feeling optimistic for the season but getting bored of the preseason now. Just one more game to go and then the real games begin and it can't come soon enough. 

Archived