Packers @ Broncos: Week 3 GDT

broncosfan07

GDTs  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How should we handle GDTs?

• Traditional Way

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Keeping Charles is an easy decision. He is great in pass protection and will be super valuable as a third down back. He's a veteran leader. And our offensive couldn't score touchdowns last year and he is a guy that could take runs and short catches to the house. Go two QB's slash cut one of our crap depth lineman. 

Yup. Right now Charles can do things no other back on this roster can, even after losing a step. The speed, the excellence in pass protection, the matchup options as a receiver...if you think you can compete this year and think Charles can be an asset for the offense when healthy, they will happily pay him. They still want to win in 2017.

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

VJ already announced only 2 QBs will be carried. 6 WRs, 3 TEs (Butt PUP), 9 OL, 5 RB makes 25. They are not going to risk a guy who has been a special talent all throughout camp and the preseason until the last game. Some perspective is critical here.

It's not a numbers issue.

That announcement was before Lynch got hurt.  He's not hurt enough to make any long term injury list.   So if he isn't healthy enough to dress Week 1...guess what?  The numbers issue.  

FWIW I love what D-Henderson has shown.  I agree he's an asset and in an ideal world he's untouched on the 53-man roster.   But I also agree JC did enough to stick.    We don't agree on the RB numbers being set, especially with Lynch hurt (they say they think it's minor but no way to know right now).  Teams across the league have the same issue with their backfields (Corey Clement in PHI, Jeremy McNichols in Tampa, Chris Carson in SEA, Brian Hill in ATL - the list of rookie RB on bubble of PS vs. 53-man who are talented goes on and on) - DEN's decision isn't the lock you see it as - because RB is loaded with depth guys can be stashed on the PS.  Simply agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Of course Elway isn't going to waive D-Henderson to actually release him - clearing waivers is required to put someone on the practice squad.   Where did ANYONE say Ridley was staying and D-Henderson was being released? 

If Elway was thinking of putting any player on the practice squad, they all have to clear waivers.   That's the risk of the PS.  But there's no intent to just release him - hence the "clear waivers" comment.   Elway's not waiving Henderson outright to let him go, but the PS is a very real possibility with Booker coming back week 2.   Frankly it was the most likely outcome when we drafted him as a Rd6 rookie.   If we keep JC, I don't think we're going to see 5 RB's on the 53-man squad (remember, we're for sure keeping Janovich on the 53-man roster).  We've always talked about the fact that JC can't be a 3rd RB, he has to stick as a 2nd RB, as the 3rd RB plays ST - that leaves the 3rd RB to Booker/Henderson, and it's not going to be Booker that's going to the PS (he wouldn't clear waivers for sure, whether or not he struggled 2H last year, his label alone will prevent that, along with his versatility).

Before the preseason, the most likely projection was the practice squad for D-Henderson as a 6th rounder - for which all players MUST clear waivers before being able to sent to the PS.   If we keep JC and only go 4 RB's on the 53-man roster, with JC, it pretty much puts D-Henderson on the PS - hence the waivers comment.   D-Henderson needed an awesome camp to merit being kept on the 53-man roster, and until last night, I'd say he had it.  But JC's performance (and VJ's confirmation JC is sticking) and D-Henderson's struggles last night clearly make the PS a possibility now, and if so, it means putting him through waivers and hoping he clears so we can stash him there.    If he could be stashed there, the long-term benefit would be that he'd still be under our control for 4 more seasons cheaply, and accrue no service time (as long as he stayed there for at least 11 weeks, a late callup would actually be OK service-time wise).   

Personally, I'd just cut bait with JC, wish him well, and stick with CJ, Booker, D-Henderson and Janovich (we need more depth elsewhere) and go 4-RB's (and have Ridley on speed dial - and in fact, stay until Booker returns).   If we are sticking with JC, if Elway goes 5 RB's, D-Henderson doesn't have to clear waivers to get to the PS.   But if we are going with 4 RB's and keeping JC, the PS is the only place for D-Henderson (yes, he can replace Booker until Booker returns, but even then, D-Henderson would still need to get waived, clear waivers at that time, and only then could he go to the PS).   Frankly, given the hundreds (and maybe even up to over 1000) players getting cut after Week 4 preseason, sneaking D-Henderson onto the PS is probably more likely at that time than later on, if Elway is thinking that route.  Again, I'd myself rather keep D-Henderson on the active squad and let JC walk and only leave behind the 100k bonus he signed for and save the rest of the $, but given VJ said JC is on the squad....well, it comes down to a numbers game (4 or 5 RB's on 53-man roster) for where D-Henderson ends up, either now, or when Booker returns. 

They would move a te before they waive Henderson for the practice squad, they would cut Kaliff Raymond before waiving Henderson there are more options.

Henderson is the most impressive rookie of this draft so far. I think hes just too valuable.

Him and Charels can act as slot weapons as well as rbs.

Henderson is making this roster. I think Charels is making the roster but I could also see him getting traded for a pick. A team like philly could use a vet back with his skill set.

I see us keeping 1 less wr for 1 more rb when its all said and done. We have 2 rbs with wr skill sets.

Also Henderson would not clear waivers his floor is a great 3rd down back. His ceiling is an mjd like franchise back. 

New England would cut dion lewis and claim hop in a half of second.

Also Henderson and Charels are the only rbs on the roster that,explosive with that skill set. With charels and his injury issues they aren't taking that risk.

Just my 2 cents, but last year I saw absolutely nothing from Booker skill-set wise that would suggest he's worth giving a guaranteed roster spot over Henderson. If Elway tries to PS Henderson and he doesn't clear waivers, I'm gonna be so pissed. 

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Five more than an injured lesser QB named Paxton Lynch

I like what I've seen. But he made two good throws in the second half of a preseason game. Threw a ball that could have been picked off. Seems like he'll have a spot on the PS

17 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Yep everyone wants to downplay him. He has outplayed Lynch significantly.

One has actually played in regular season games while the other has played in the 3rd and 4th qtr in a preseason game. Lynch has sucked this preseason, no doubts about it. But Sloter doe.. #sloterdagawdcrowd

2 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

One has actually played in regular season games while the other has played in the 3rd and 4th qtr in a preseason game. Lynch has sucked this preseason, no doubts about it. But Sloter doe.. #sloterdagawdcrowd

Lynch really didn't play well in those games. And, Siemian isn't a rough and tumble NFL vet. Lynch should be gone, and Siemian's future in Denver shouldn't be assured as of yet because he hasn't won anything (as I try to remind the people who try to say that he will be a Pro Bowler). 

Archived