2019 NFL Draft Thread: Nashville

DoleINGout

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Well I understand what you're saying relative to draft position, my counter is that Josh Oliver is the receiving threat project-tight end I would expect to see targeted by the Pats more so than Warring. Kaden Smith too.

I dont think Oliver has the chops to be a quality blocker. Kaden Smith is a major dud IMO. He might be able to develop as a blocker but the dude will never be a viable pass catcher. He can't separate from college level LB's. He needs to relearn how to run all his routes. If there is a project TE in this draft its Kaden because he needs to be coached from the bottom up. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

he needs to be coached from the bottom up

Well first of all this just sounds kinky.

Secondly, I didn't say Oliver is a better prospect in terms of being complete. As a receiver, Oliver has the Jared Cook/Rob Gronkowski dimensions and attributes that lead me to believe he would be the one they'd target above Kahale Warring who to me has similar potential receiving, (and obviously more refinement blocking as it stands right now), but isn't quite at the next level as a potential difference maker at receiver.

Edited by DoleINGout

For the record, I rank Kahale Warring as a better overall prospect than Josh Oliver, but for the Patriots, I think they'll see Oliver as a prototype in terms of hand size and arm length for the position. With Tom Brady, they might be thinking they can coach Oliver up at receiver to be a difference maker situationally where they would need him to out reach and box out reliably. Maybe the Patriots look at Oliver's dimensions and think they can coach him into a decent blocker. I think their tight end coach has done a good job and with Belichick and Dante Scarecchia I give it a good shot.

With Warring, although he is intriguing as a prospect from a height/weight/straight speed perspective and grew tremendously in a short period of time as a player, I'm not confident that he will sustain his growth in the NFL and actually think he has already sort of plateaued. Sure, Warring will get better at blocking on the Patriots too and will likely always be better than Oliver at that, I don't see as much success for him as a receiver against professionals.

My picks for TEs  in this class.  Based on players that should be there for the Pats.  PS I not a fan of Irv Smith.

Jace Sternberger [ TE ] Texas A&M
 Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
 Dawson Knox*, TE, Ole Miss
late round picks
 Dax Raymond (Utah State)
Matt Sokol, TE, Michigan State

52 minutes ago, m haynes said:

My picks for TEs  in this class.  Based on players that should be there for the Pats.  PS I not a fan of Irv Smith.

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
late round picks
 Dax Raymond (Utah State)

I'm not high on Irv as a day one or even really a day two pick, but he will be one regardless and I think he'll find a way to remain employed for many seasons. I doubt he'll be a high impact player but he will be servicable and viable.

• Like 1

First round: 32nd overall – original (JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR)
Second: 56th overall – via Chicago (D'Andre Walker, OLB/DE)
Second: 64th overall – original 
Third: 73rd overall – via Detroit (Cole Tracy, K)
Third: 97th overall - Solder compensatory (Michael Deiter, OL)
Third: 101st overall - Butler compensatory (Jakobi Meyers, WR)
Fourth: 134th overall - original (Dax Raymond, TE)
Sixth: 205th overall - Amendola compensatory (Trace McSorley, QB)
Seventh: 239th overall - via Philadelphia
Seventh: 243rd overall - via Cleveland
Seventh: 246th overall - original
Seventh: 252nd overall - Fleming compensatory

About what I expect the Patriots to do.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Deadpulse said:

I dont really agree. I think he can be very productive as a pass catcher right away, especially for a team like us who has no one at the position right now. His blocking needs work but he steadily improved in college (remember he is BRAND new to the sport of football). He needs to work on hand placement but the work ethic and motivation is there for his blocking. His route running is very good, the only knock on this is that he can be slow out of the gate. His hands are not pristine but his drops decreased as the year went on as well, showing the improvement here. On one play he might make a spectacular uber athletic catch and on the next he can pull a 2018 Hogan. 

In short, I agree that he is an intriguing prospect but I also think he is getting undervalued as a player currently. He is an athletic freak who has already showed signs of putting it together at the college level as a newcomer to the sport whose game is more suited to the NFL anyways. In 2 years he could be top tier TE. 

Id definitely be happy if we picked him in 4th (or wherever, tbh)

15 hours ago, m haynes said:

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
late round picks
 Dax Raymond (Utah State)

By all accounts, Jace isn't really a blocker. If we're trying to replace Gronk (well, first, you can't ) but we'd need an all-rounder, crucially. 

First few weaknesses laid out in his profile;

• Slightly undersized
  • Run blocking isn't where it needs to be
  • Gets caved into the run lane by edge strength
  • Initial block engagement lacks necessary leverage
  • Allows backside leakage due poor angles
  • Needs longer sustain as blocker in space

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

By all accounts, Jace isn't really a blocker. If we're trying to replace Gronk (well, first, you can't ) but we'd need an all-rounder, crucially. 

First few weaknesses laid out in his profile;

• Slightly undersized
  • Run blocking isn't where it needs to be
  • Gets caved into the run lane by edge strength
  • Initial block engagement lacks necessary leverage
  • Allows backside leakage due poor angles
  • Needs longer sustain as blocker in space

I agree, but that's the problem. There is no one  that have the skills to replace (blocking and receiving ) Gronk but one and he will be long gone before we pick. We will have to have TE by committee. Jace will serve as the receiver and another more as a blocker.  Unfortunately  I don't see one after Hockerson that can do that effectively. You will have to draft someone at TE and your choice comes down to a receiver or a blocker.

PS.  I left off Tommy Sweeney as a possible late round or a FA signing.  I know he's a complete reach however he show skills. Maybe he can overcome his lack  of athletic limitations.  

Edited by m haynes

Pats go into the draft looking to replace Gronk. With that said the Pats select.

32: R1P32

TE NOAH FANT

56: R2P24

TE IRV SMITH

64: R2P32

TE JACE STERNBERGER

73: R3P9

TE ISAAC NAUTA

97: R3P33

TE JOSH OLIVER

SAN JOSE STATE

101: R3P37

TE FOSTER MOREAU

134: R4P32

TE MATT SOKOL

205: R6P32

TE KAHALE WARRING

239: R7P25

TE TOMMY SWEENEY

243: R7P29

TE DONALD PARHAM

246: R7P32

TE ELKANAH DILLON

252: R7P38

TE BRANDON FRITTS

Draft experts. The Pats had a terrible draft. They came out of the draft with no one to replace Gronk!

• Like 1

First round: 32nd overall – original (JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR)
Second: 56th overall – via Chicago (D'Andre Walker, OLB/DE)
Second: 64th overall – original 
Third: 73rd overall – via Detroit (Cole Tracy, K)
Third: 97th overall - Solder compensatory (Michael Deiter, OL)
Third: 101st overall - Butler compensatory (Jakobi Meyers, WR)

Did this 3 round mock with teams included, have done a 7 rounder on and off since May of last year.  The Patriots to me especially these first three rounds have tons of options and could get some damn good players who just fall right to them.  Sure it could happen with guys like Dexter Lawrence or Jeffrey Simmons but I could see Daniel Jones falling right to them potentially.

1st Round 32nd:  Daniel Jones QB
2nd Round 56th: Jace Sternberger TE
2nd Round 64th: David Edwards OT
3rd Round 73th: Sutton Smith OLB/DE
3rd Round 97th: Terry McLaurin WR
3rd Round 101: Jachi Polite DE

Heck they got options at that 56th pick, could go TE obviously or a guy like Tillery or Anthony Nelson on the DL not to mention Justin Hollins at LB or Mitch Hyatt at OT.   At the 64th pick they could get Edwards who underachieved this past year but is very talented or get a OT or get like his teammate Benzschawel or Dieter along with Samia or Bar.  Then in the 3rd especially late 3rd they got tons of options and could get a guy like Van Ginkel or Dru Tranquill late.  

They could get some quality for sure, Polite not sure they would love him because of his lack in run defense but he would be a steal with high upside and cheap.  Sutton Smith I like for them though, undersized but is a terror on the edge and a damn good athlete who could play a little LB as well but can really get into the backfield.  I like CJ Conrad for them as well but he does have health issues and has not worked out, but is a big body who can block and catch.  Jace is more of just a pass catching TE but with Brady could rip it up in the NFL, fine route runner and knows how to get open.  

1st Round 32nd:  Daniel Jones QB

If this happen I will destroy my TV, scream bloody murder. This would be absolutely awful.

1. He not a 1st round pick. Draft guru have been pimping him and they know crap. 

2. He can't throw the ball to save his life. His work out at the combine was awful. He had to throw the ball like he was throwing a javelin. It was embarrassing

3. He will be on the bench for 3/4 years. Get a QB next year if you don't see Brady playing at 45.

4. We have major needs such as OL and WR.

5. There is no difference than Grier, Finley and others that will be around in the middle rounds,

6. Curt Warner call this class average at best. I will go with his opinion over Mel Kipers of the world.

[Duke’s] Daniel Jones, to get the momentum to make those big throws downfield, had to take some pretty big hitches

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/3/4/18249950/2019-nfl-draft-kurt-warner-quarterback-class-average-group-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1