2019 NFL Draft Thread: Nashville

DoleINGout

Just wanted to get my draft thoughts in here; I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite drafts in the BB era. That kind of makes me slightly nervous (lol). I read somewhere that the Patriots project to have 11 (?) picks in 2020. That is truly a testament of how lucky we are to have BB running the ship in New England- he just gets it. Onto the picks….

First Round, No. 32: WR N'Keal Harry, Arizona State: File this one under "pleasantly surprised" I thought for sure we'd go into the draft thinking WR is the biggest need, only to find BB trolling us and not even taking one. I'm a fan of Harrys; he's big, versatile and probably the best YAC WR in this class. I love the fit. I know people worry about his ability to separate, but they will scheme him open. I expect him to have Patterson type production in year-one- that's how I see him being used to start.

Second Round, No. 45: CB Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt: Apparently, it was down to Harry and Williams at 32. They had to have been thrilled to get him at 45. He's a big CB who can match-up with the "big slot" role which is evolving in today's NFL. Classic BB staying ahead of the curve. I saw a post saying this might bode poorly for Gilmore? Get out of here with that nonsense. It's all about match-ups in today's passing NFL. With Williams and Gilmore, the Patriots can do so much (ala Revis and Browner).

Third Round, No. 77: DE Chase Winovich, Michigan: This guy is going to be a fan favorite. Unreal motor, sneaky good athlete, and out produced the always talked up Rashan Gary who was his teammate. Between Winovich + Bennett, the Patriots have replaced Trey Flowers production, at what, half the cost?

Third round, No. 87: RB Damien Harris, Alabama: As a I eluded to in my posts heading into the draft, I thought RB was a bigger need than most expected for the Patriots, so this pick did not surprise me. Burkhead is getting older/can't stay healthy, Michel has an injury history, and White can't carry the load. Harris is a solid back, who does nothing special, but everything well. He'll play the role they projected for Jeremy Hill last year in year-one.

Third Round, No. 101: OT Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia: Admittedly don't know much about Cajuste, but WV trusted him with protecting their Heisman candidate QB in a top-10 offense in the Country. I think Scar is going to work his magic with this one.

Fourth round, No. 118: OL Hjalte Froholdt, Arkansas: If this guy turns into a steal, we can thank Bielma. PFF's graded 4th best OG (maybe interior); it's clear the Patriot's pay attention to these metrics. Possible Thuney insurance as he enters into a contract year.

Fourth round, No. 133: QB Jarrett Stidham, Auburn: Love this pick. If he can return to 2017 Stidham, this could be a steal. Intelligent QB with a NFL Arm. Louis Riddick gushes about Stidham, I can't wait to see him play.

Fifth round, No. 159: DL Byron Cowart, Maryland: Later rounds you chase either 1) traits or 2) production. I think this is traits chasing; Cowart was the #1 recruit in the Nation at one point who never caught on at Auburn and transferred to Maryland. Low risk, high reward pick.

Fifth round, No. 163: P Jake Bailey, Stanford: Athletic right footed (shocker; no lefty!?) punter who (at a minimum) lights a fire under Ryan Allen's ***.

Seventh round, No. 252: CB Ken Webster, Ole Miss: Traits. Super athletic corner who's never developed partly due to injuries. Lottery ticket type pick.

Other drafts I liked: Colts, Eagles, Redskins.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Just wanted to get my draft thoughts in here; I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite drafts in the BB era. That kind of makes me slightly nervous (lol). I read somewhere that the Patriots project to have 11 (?) picks in 2020. That is truly a testament of how lucky we are to have BB running the ship in New England- he just gets it. Onto the picks….

First Round, No. 32: WR N'Keal Harry, Arizona State: File this one under "pleasantly surprised" I thought for sure we'd go into the draft thinking WR is the biggest need, only to find BB trolling us and not even taking one. I'm a fan of Harrys; he's big, versatile and probably the best YAC WR in this class. I love the fit. I know people worry about his ability to separate, but they will scheme him open. I expect him to have Patterson type production in year-one- that's how I see him being used to start.

Second Round, No. 45: CB Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt: Apparently, it was down to Harry and Williams at 32. They had to have been thrilled to get him at 45. He's a big CB who can match-up with the "big slot" role which is evolving in today's NFL. Classic BB staying ahead of the curve. I saw a post saying this might bode poorly for Gilmore? Get out of here with that nonsense. It's all about match-ups in today's passing NFL. With Williams and Gilmore, the Patriots can do so much (ala Revis and Browner).

Third Round, No. 77: DE Chase Winovich, Michigan: This guy is going to be a fan favorite. Unreal motor, sneaky good athlete, and out produced the always talked up Rashan Gary who was his teammate. Between Winovich + Bennett, the Patriots have replaced Trey Flowers production, at what, half the cost?

Third round, No. 87: RB Damien Harris, Alabama: As a I eluded to in my posts heading into the draft, I thought RB was a bigger need than most expected for the Patriots, so this pick did not surprise me. Burkhead is getting older/can't stay healthy, Michel has an injury history, and White can't carry the load. Harris is a solid back, who does nothing special, but everything well. He'll play the role they projected for Jeremy Hill last year in year-one.

Third Round, No. 101: OT Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia: Admittedly don't know much about Cajuste, but WV trusted him with protecting their Heisman candidate QB in a top-10 offense in the Country. I think Scar is going to work his magic with this one.

Fourth round, No. 118: OL Hjalte Froholdt, Arkansas: If this guy turns into a steal, we can thank Bielma. PFF's graded 4th best OG (maybe interior); it's clear the Patriot's pay attention to these metrics. Possible Thuney insurance as he enters into a contract year.

Fourth round, No. 133: QB Jarrett Stidham, Auburn: Love this pick. If he can return to 2017 Stidham, this could be a steal. Intelligent QB with a NFL Arm. Louis Riddick gushes about Stidham, I can't wait to see him play.

Fifth round, No. 159: DL Byron Cowart, Maryland: Later rounds you chase either 1) traits or 2) production. I think this is traits chasing; Cowart was the #1 recruit in the Nation at one point who never caught on at Auburn and transferred to Maryland. Low risk, high reward pick.

Fifth round, No. 163: P Jake Bailey, Stanford: Athletic right footed (shocker; no lefty!?) punter who (at a minimum) lights a fire under Ryan Allen's ***.

Seventh round, No. 252: CB Ken Webster, Ole Miss: Traits. Super athletic corner who's never developed partly due to injuries. Lottery ticket type pick.

Other drafts I liked: Colts, Eagles, Redskins.

Nice write up however I can't agree with this assessment

I expect him to have Patterson type production in year-one- that's how I see him being used to start.

Harry is light years ahead of Patterson when it come to WR play. CP is a super athlete that's it. He can't play WR to save his life. IMO Harry will be the go to guy with JE. The ability to separate issue is just bad  mechanics that will be fixed at camp.

• Like 1

Hi guys

The Patriots have one of the largest fan bases in Denmark (small country in Europe), and that is not going to change with the selection of Hjalte Froholdt.

Just to add to what you guys most likely already know, Hjalte, a native of Denmark, played offensive line for just 3 years. His play and play recognition should only get better, and from what danish reporters have learned through interviews, the Patriots view him as a center, which is what the position where they want to groom him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Hi guys

The Patriots have one of the largest fan bases in Denmark (small country in Europe), and that is not going to change with the selection of Hjalte Froholdt.

Just to add to what you guys most likely already know, Hjalte, a native of Denmark, played offensive line for just 3 years. His play and play recognition should only get better, and from what danish reporters have learned through interviews, the Patriots view him as a center, which is what the position where they want to groom him.

Well he can play left guard really well too so I wouldn't bet against the Patriots moving him around the line wherever he is needed. I'm excited for Hjalte Froholdt.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 1:49 PM, Deadpulse said:

1. What is your final prediction for our first round pick (3 options)

Option a): N'Keal Harry

Option b): Will Grier

Option c): Greg Little

2. Which pick will be the first one traded? 

56th Overall

3. Will we pick a QB in the top 4 rounds? 

Sure will

4. Name the most popular conference we turn to? (Big 10, SEC etc)

SEC

5. Name the TE(s) we pick (if we do)

Warring

6. Name the WR(s) we pick (if we do)

N'Keal Harry, Miles Boykin, or Stanley Morgan

7. We have 12 picks - how many will actually be used on players this draft? 

8. [Non Pats] - Name the players our DIV rivals will take in the first round?

MIA: Dwayne Haskins

NYJ:  Quinnen Williams

BUF: Montez Sweat

Well done Pulse. You won this. 

Mod status reinforced. :D 

• Like 1