2019 NFL Draft Thread: Nashville

DoleINGout

On 3/9/2019 at 10:39 AM, SBLIII said:

I think Dexter Lawrence is going to be the #1 target at #32 followed by Lindstrom, Risner, Omenihu and Zach Allen. The Patriots will still build their team inside to outside.

I thought so too but the Pennell signing tempers my expectations that they'd take Lawrence. I think at a minimum, they have to at least double dip at WR; could be the first time we see the Patriots take one in round 1.

52 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:
To the extent a QB, will be drafted, this is interesting:

For what that’s worth. 

I'm a big Grier fan. Arm strength is a little less than I'd prefer but I think he can be the best QB of the class with a little work in the right system.

Dwayne Haskins I think is kind of a backup/low level starter in the NFL. Murray I question durability and commitment. Lock has so much potential but he crumbles on third down and just too often has lapses in play.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I thought so too but the Pennell signing tempers my expectations that they'd take Lawrence. I think at a minimum, they have to at least double dip at WR; could be the first time we see the Patriots take one in round 1.

Wouldn't mind Samuels/Butler/Harry/Arcega-Whiteside in one of the first two round and then Hunter Renfrow in the third or fourth, (since they missed out on Randall Cobb and seem to have a very limited budget).

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I don’t follow college football much - what sort of prospect is Grier?

Right now he is slated for late 2nd. He has a ton of promise IMO. Very accurate both short and deep, has good touch to all his balls, makes all the throws. He has a lot of the intangibles, locker room guy, leader off the field. On it, he goes through his progressions, looks off the safety, is confident in his throws and has an attacking mindset. His big problem, IMO, is his throwing motion. While its not all out of whack, he gets lazy with it and his release time suffers. Sometimes his footwork gets sloppy and he does those jump throws that Rivers does, this happens constantly when scrambling or getting pressured. Flip side of that is he can be very Brady essque moving in the pocket, but when it breaks down so do his mechanics and he tends to put the hero cape on and make poor throws off his back foot or hold the ball too long and take a debilitating sack; prone to fumbles too. Scouts say he has "average arm talent" but who cares what they say, that means so little to me. 

TLDR; he is the perfect candidate to sit and learn for a few years, shore up his throwing motion and learn the game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I don’t follow college football much - what sort of prospect is Grier?

A good one for the Pats system. More than just the patience and football intelligence is the type of character and leadership required of the typical Patriots player. Grier has that Julian Edelman firey competitiveness among other personality traits that lends himself to meshing well with the Patriots culture and current roster of guys.

I think Grier would make sense at 32, (if necessary and if no one else they want is available), but more ideally they could get Grier in the second round you would hope.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

A good one for the Pats system. More than just the patience and football intelligence is the type of character and leadership required of the typical Patriots player. Grier has that Julian Edelman firey competitiveness among other personality traits that lends himself to meshing well with the Patriots culture and current roster of guys.

I think Grier would make sense at 32, (if necessary and if no one else they want is available), but more ideally they could get Grier in the second round you would hope.

2nd or 3rd round. 

If we draft a QB I would like Grier. Could be great with 2-3 years of development

Jawaan Taylor

Juan Thornhill

Zach Allen

Will Grier

Jerry Tillery

N'Keal Harry

Hakeem Butler

Alex Barnes

Isaac Nauta

Jonathan Abram

Those are my ten favorite prospects for the Pats. I think there are plenty of others that will be good but I hope to see at least one or two of those top ten on the team.

Ten others of note for the Patriots: Trace McSorley (QB), Deebo Samuel (WR), JJ Arcega-Whiteside (WR), Paris Campbell (WR), Hunter Renfrow (WR), Elgton Jenkins (OL), Michael Deiter (OL), Michael Jordan (Bulls), Cameron Smith (LB), Mike Bell (SS).

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

but when it breaks down so do his mechanics and he tends to put the hero cape on and make poor throws off his back foot or hold the ball too long and take a debilitating sack; prone to fumbles too

This is a major flaw in his game, it really showed up at the SR Bowl. Grier was in panic mode with pressure and he threw recklessly  down field and many passes floated with  no zip on the ball.  Maybe it was the pressure to (SR bowl) perform however he has to work on this part of his game or he will have trouble at the next level.  His arm is not strong enough when he not set with his mechanics. 

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

This is a major flaw in his game, it really showed up at the SR Bowl. Grier was in panic mode with pressure and he threw recklessly  down field and many passes floated with  no zip on the ball.  Maybe it was the pressure to (SR bowl) perform however he has to work on this part of his game or he will have trouble at the next level.  His arm is not strong enough when he not set with his mechanics. 

Among the many things you can learn from TB12, mechanics and footwork seem most transferable.

Players I like per round, in red are my favorites . This is not a mock. Also I left many off the list that IMO we don't have a shot at  EX. T.J. Hockenson

1st RD

Dalton Risner [ OT ] Kansas State
Charles Omenihu [ DL ] Texas
Clelin Ferrell [ EDGE ] Clemson
Dalton Risner [ OT ] Kansas State
Chris Lindstrom [ OG ] Boston College

2nd RD

Deebo Samuel WR
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson [ S ] Florida
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside [ WR ] Stanford
Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware
Juan Thornhill cb/s
Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia
Hakeem Butler [ WR ] Iowa State
Zach Allen DL

3rd RD

Hunter Renfrow [ WR ] Clemson 

Yes BB shocks everyone. I know this is early however I don't care IMO he is perfect for the Pats offense.  3 Cone Drill - 6.8 !

Dawson Knox [ TE ] Mississippi manual hall WR
Jace Sternberger [ TE ] Texas A&M

4th RD

Antoine Wesley Texas Tech WR
Nate Davis [ OG ] Charlotte
Germaine Pratt LB
Erik McCoy [ C ] Texas A & M

5th RD

Daniel Wise, DL, Kansas
Ryan Finley QB
Stanley Morgan Jr. wr
Amani Hooker [ S ] Iowa
David Sills WR West Virginia's
Kevin Wilkins [ DT ] Rutgers

5/6th RD

Michael Dogbe, DT, Temple
Maxx Crosby DE

7th RD

Yosuah Nijman [ OT ] Virginia Tech
Alexander Mattison  rb
Greg Dortch Wake Forest WR

• Like 1

I like your list @m haynes however Zach Allen in the second round would be a steal. I think he ends up being one of the best players to come out of this draft when we reflect years from now. I also see Juan Thornhill going first round potentially. Thornhill is dynamic and if not the best safety then he is even with Jonathan Abram in my mind.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I like your list @m haynes however Zach Allen in the second round would be a steal. I think he ends up being one of the best players to come out of this draft when we reflect years from now. I also see Juan Thornhill going first round potentially. Thornhill is dynamic and if not the best safety then he is even with Jonathan Abram in my mind.

I agree however many of the mocks show them going in the 2nd RD. I have several (5) players listed in the 2nd who could easily go in the 1st. Than my list would change accordingly.