2019 NFL Draft Thread: Nashville

DoleINGout

With the injury to Pat Chung and Devin McCourty only committed to returning for next year right now, I think safety is going to be one of the top priorities in the draft.

Enter Jonathan Abram of Mississippi State. A range, athetlic, hard hitting guy with a communication style reminiscent to me of Gronkowski. I think Abram can be used at any safety positin and thrive as well as contribute on special teams if need be. I would expect Abram to be one of the first two picks the Patriots make if they do not trade up for someone else or trade away for someone like Odell Beckham Jr.

13 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

With the injury to Pat Chung and Devin McCourty only committed to returning for next year right now, I think safety is going to be one of the top priorities in the draft.

Enter Jonathan Abram of Mississippi State. A range, athetlic, hard hitting guy with a communication style reminiscent to me of Gronkowski. I think Abram can be used at any safety positin and thrive as well as contribute on special teams if need be. I would expect Abram to be one of the first two picks the Patriots make if they do not trade up for someone else or trade away for someone like Odell Beckham Jr.

I think there are higher priorities. Plus safety to me is not top heavy this draft so you should get good value in the 3rd round. 

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think there are higher priorities. Plus safety to me is not top heavy this draft so you should get good value in the 3rd round. 

How many times have we seen the Patriots do what is expected? Especially in the draft, Belichick routinely targets positons that aren't consensus needs or highest priority. As much as I liked Sony Michel last year, (he was at one point my favorite player in the draft early on), I didn't expect him on the Patriots because I didn't think they would draft a RB in the first round.

Abram is probably someone they can get with the Bears second round pick, 56th overall.

15 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

How many times have we seen the Patriots do what is expected? Especially in the draft, Belichick routinely targets positons that aren't consensus needs or highest priority. As much as I liked Sony Michel last year, (he was at one point my favorite player in the draft early on), I didn't expect him on the Patriots because I didn't think they would draft a RB in the first round.

Abram is probably someone they can get with the Bears second round pick, 56th overall.

I think they will also do what isn't expected. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised about another RB drafted. 

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Drew Lock will be one of two QB's the Pats target this year; the other being Will Grier.

I'd be surprised if Lock was still on the board by #32 and I wouldn't expect to see us use that on a QB anyway. Grier is an interesting option but has some negatives.

Give me Grier over Jones/Finley/Stidham all day though.

Draft Network finally released their mock draft machine. It's really quite slick. I think I prefer it to Fanspeak, Walkthemock, Firstpick, etc. I've enjoyed using it to put together a Patriots draft. The biggest takeaway I have right now is that the interior defensive line class is really, really good, and not very deep after the top 5 or 6 guys. If Brown and Shelton move on, I expect us to look at a first round DL again. There are some good complementary players in the mid rounds, but no sure fire upgrades over Brown/Shelton after the top half a dozen guys. Maybe we'll have more clarity after the Combine.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

• Like 1

@reamer So far, tight end and interior defensive line seem to be popular positions in mocks among Pats fans here. I agreed with d-line at first, but I doubt it now that I'm learning more about the class. I think free agency will be the route the Pats go in securing those two positions. I believe the safety class is good and we will see one picked in the first two rounds.

8 minutes ago, reamer said:

Draft Network finally released their mock draft machine. It's really quite slick. I think I prefer it to Fanspeak, Walkthemock, Firstpick, etc. I've enjoyed using it to put together a Patriots draft. The biggest takeaway I have right now is that the interior defensive line class is really, really good, and not very deep after the top 5 or 6 guys. If Brown and Shelton move on, I expect us to look at a first round DL again. There are some good complementary players in the mid rounds, but no sure fire upgrades over Brown/Shelton after the top half a dozen guys. Maybe we'll have more clarity after the Combine.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

ot but are you reamer from patsfans?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

@reamer So far, tight end and interior defensive line seem to be popular positions in mocks among Pats fans here. I agreed with d-line at first, but I doubt it now that I'm learning more about the class. I think free agency will be the route the Pats go in securing those two positions. I believe the safety class is good and we will see one picked in the first two rounds.

I could see that -- I was surprised at passing up a S last year. I like Abrams, CGJ, and Rapp at 32 - 64, and Edwards in the 3rd onward. Chung and McCourty have been great for a long time, but I'd like to see an understudy in the building soon.

Mike Pennel seems to be the name du jour in free agency. I could see him or Jordan Phillips attracting interest.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

ot but are you reamer from patsfans?

Yeah. Made up the name years ago on each board due to some metalworking interest, but now I wish I could change it because people misinterpret it. o.O

Ah well. I'm too lazy now to make a new account. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reamer said:

Yeah. Made up the name years ago on each board due to some metalworking interest, but now I wish I could change it because people misinterpret it. o.O

Ah well. I'm too lazy now to make a new account. 

I like it. Adds characters and a story.

BTW thanks for the mock draft link.