Saints DT David Onyemata cited for possession of marijuana, suspended one game

Dome

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/crime_police/article_5c29259e-2aec-11e9-8d57-03c9c3a55017.html

3 ounces, but that includes some edibles so they add up fast. Police say it was for personal use so it’s just a misdemeanor so it’s not gonna be a huge punishment more than likely, but even a small suspension hurts us with Sheldon Rankins tearing his Achilles so late in the year, not to mention our #3 DT Davison is a FA this year 

Edited by Dome

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The fact you still get arrested for this is wild as hell to me. 

30 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

well spent use of resources to get investigators on this case and then barge into his house 

Discuss football or don't post.  NFL news is not the place to post your thoughts on marijuana laws.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tom cody said:

Not a name I've heard of much before. Will be interested to see how this affects the Saints. 

He played 60% of the snaps for us this year. He’s a well rounded player that does everything “good enough”. I believe PFF had him ranked middle of the pack this year. 

I believe this pretty much guarantees they’re going to bring back NT Tyeler Davison who has likely earned a decent contract (I mean for a NT who plays less than half the snaps) this year. I wanted them to re-sign him anyways, but I think this locks him up.

Rankins had a torn Achilles in the playoffs and Ony might’ve just earned himself a suspension. I’m not sure how this shakes out, but if his and Rankins status to start the year is in doubt you have to bring back Davison.

I don’t see the Saints targeting an outside FA  when they have more pressing needs and Davison is already in the building.  Limited draft capital to put it nicely means they can’t afford to potentially miss out on FAs when they have home grown talent who has played well in the system.

Edited by Dome

Apparently some players took that Rams loss worse than others. That's a lot of hippie lettuce, but then, he's a big dude. Probably just trying to ease the pain and forget all about that NFCC game xD

Saints may need to address the interior of that Dline. Pretty sure Rankins won't be ready by the start of the season, and this should almost assuredly come with a suspension.

• 4 months later...

ESPN’s Adam Schefter gave some New Orleans Saints news, as it is being reported that defensive tackle David Onyematais being suspended for one game due to violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Link

I can live with that. I was worried it could be 4 or something. 

18 hours ago, Dome said:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter gave some New Orleans Saints news, as it is being reported that defensive tackle David Onyematais being suspended for one game due to violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Link

I can live with that. I was worried it could be 4 or something. 

Yeah, the 1 game is kinda weird if it is for substance abuse. Seems more like a conduct penalty since substance is usually 4 games once you get to point of a suspension.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, the 1 game is kinda weird if it is for substance abuse. Seems more like a conduct penalty since substance is usually 4 games once you get to point of a suspension.

I’m wondering if somehow he didn’t fail any NFL drug tests so this is all they can get him for

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, the 1 game is kinda weird if it is for substance abuse.

As noted by others, he didn't get popped via the NFL testing system, but rather by the police. In those cases, the players get a 1 game suspension, but they also are entered into The Program and are subject to more frequent testing. IF they get popped by NFL pee tests, the first 2 events lead to fines only and their own teams are not notified. By the time they get to a suspension via the NFL system, they've been caught 3 or more times and that's why its a 4 game vacation instead of just 1.