Is this the best top tier of runningbacks since the early 2000s?

Kiwibrown

This is the best the top tier of runningbacks have been in my 13 years of FF. when was the last time it was this good?
there are a bunch of great players.

Gurley, zeke, Barkley, Kamara, McCathary,, chubb, the guy from Den, Melvin Gordon, fournette if he bounces back

Who have you got in your top 5-10 RBs for next year?

don't forget the playoffs leading rusher MICHEL.

But sounds about right. Will be interesting to see what Leveon has left in the tank and if someone like David Johnson get can back on track. Plus Derrick Henry, Connor, Carson, Mack. Tough to pick a top 10. There are about 20 really good ones.

edit: Whenever and for whatever team Hunt plays next season is tbd but when he plays he'll probably among the leagues best

Edited by SBLIII
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

don't forget the playoffs leading rusher MICHEL.

But sounds about right. Will be interesting to see what Leveon has left in the tank and if someone like David Johnson get can back on track. Plus Derrick Henry, Connor, Carson, Mack. Tough to pick a top 10. There are about 20 really good ones.

edit: Whenever and for whatever team Hunt plays next season is tbd but when he plays he'll probably among the leagues best

I was thinking of sony, but I had forgotten his name. 

You add lots of guys, I think Henrybisnoutaide the top 10, not to discredit him but to show the strength of the league at this position. 

It will be interesting to see how the league values some of these guys in their contract years if their play remains strong. 

Lets deal with reality.

• Fournette was 32nd in yards per carry as a rookie
    • He was 52nd this year.
  • The guy is a career 3.65 ypc back who is more like 3.5 ypc in 400 of his 401 NFL carries
    • Oh look he's also a 3.5 ypc back in the playoffs!
    • woohoo! he also had a 90 yard TD run once!

There are many great young back in the NFL...

... Fournette also plays in the NFL.

participation-certificate-1.gif

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Lets deal with reality.

• Fournette was 32nd in yards per carry as a rookie
    • He was 52nd this year.
  • The guy is a career 3.65 ypc back who is more like 3.5 ypc in 400 of his 401 NFL carries
    • Oh look he's also a 3.5 ypc back in the playoffs!
    • woohoo! he also had a 90 yard TD run once!

There are many great young back in the NFL...

... Fournette also plays in the NFL.

participation-certificate-1.gif

2.35 yards after contact doesn't help that image. In 2017 it was 2.36 yards after contact. Average RB, at best.

• Like 2

Tier 1: Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott, Saquon Barkley, Le'Veon Bell

Tier 2: Christian McCaffrey, Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, David Johnson

Tier 3: Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb, Melvin Gordon, Mark Ingram, a bunch of other RBs

I'm pretty confident in the first two tiers.  After that, you have a mixture of a lot of guys.  Chubb's a great runner, but I'm not sure he offers enough as a receiver to touch some of the guys above him.

My gut tells me Barkley is the best RB in the NFL, but Gurley and Zeke have the proven, consistent success.  I'm confident Bell is going to prove the people wrong who think he's not that good simply because Conner performed well in his place.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm pretty confident in the first two tiers.  After that, you have a mixture of a lot of guys.  Chubb's a great runner, but I'm not sure he offers enough as a receiver to touch some of the guys above him.

My gut tells me Barkley is the best RB in the NFL, but Gurley and Zeke have the proven, consistent success.  I'm confident Bell is going to prove the people wrong who think he's not that good simply because Conner performed well in his place.

Chubb has soft hands, I think he will be fine as receiver, to the point it isnt a weakness. 

He is a fantastic runner of the ball. It will be  interesting to see how he goes in offense that will be based around the pass.

Chubb could be the best runner of the ball not named Zeke, I dont think he wi be with a pass happy offense.

I remember the same thing being brought up around 2009 or so after the 2008 draft when the league was filled with AP, Chris Johnson, LT, Jamal Lewis, Steven JAckson, Matt Forte, Mendenhall, Ray Rice, DMC, Brian Westbrook, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton, Deangelo WIlliams, Stewart, Micheal Turner, Frank Gore, Marion Barber, Ronnie Brown and probably a half dozen more I can't remember off the top of my head. 

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Melvin Gordon in tier 3? How can you justify that. Considering he clearly proved to be a tier 1 rb this year. Let alone tier 3.

If we look at the last 2 years, behind one of the worst run blocking olines.

Gordon is 5th in rushing yds, tied for 3rd in rushing tds, 3rd in total tds and 6th for in yds from scrimmage.  Gordon is a top 5 rb in this league no question asked. With a clearly inferior run blocking oline than anyone ahead of him. PFF had Chargers oline 31st and 30th past 2 years. DVOA in 2017 was 26th, in 2018 it was 5th. But power rank was 18th and stuff rank was 15th. 

Edited by Bearerofnews

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:
9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

2005 on AP, Jackson, McCoy, Lynch, Gore,  Forte, C, Johnson , MJD, A. Foster

Is better IMO

You're also forgetting Larry Johnson. He had 1750 rushing yards and 20 TD that year only starting 9 games.

As well as Portis, McGahee, Charles, Rice, Benson, 

6 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Melvin Gordon in tier 3? How can you justify that. 

Because he isn’t as good as Zeke, Bell, Barkley, or Gurley.  

It’s not like being in tier 3 means you’re bad.  Everyone above him is great.  If you want to put him on the level of the guys in tier 2, then I can see the argument. But I don’t see how he’s as good as the aforementioned players.  Those are elite backs. Gordon isn’t elite.

Edited by iknowcool