AAF

Johnny Nix

I worked for a start up sports league for 3 years- from its 2nd year to its last. We were definitely small time, but I can already see a lot of things the AAF is doing right that we didnt do. It helps that they are a football league, but this CBS live broadcast and streaming offerings, like @Thelonebillsfan mentioned, may be the most important things about this league that will allow it to succeed. Getting eyes on the product is something we struggled with, but the AAF has it down already. The other important factors are the talent level of the players, experience of those in coaching/management positions, and complementary role to the NFL. The AAF turning into a developmental league for the NFL will really help the NFL, the AAF, and football in general, as there will be more avenues for players to get experience and exposure. AAF desperately needs a Superstar to emerge. Once they do, you market the hell out of them. That's the next step. 

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I worked for a start up sports league for 3 years- from its 2nd year to its last. We were definitely small time, but I can already see a lot of things the AAF is doing right that we didnt do. It helps that they are a football league, but this CBS live broadcast and streaming offerings, like @Thelonebillsfan mentioned, may be the most important things about this league that will allow it to succeed. Getting eyes on the product is something we struggled with, but the AAF has it down already. The other important factors are the talent level of the players, experience of those in coaching/management positions, and complementary role to the NFL. The AAF turning into a developmental league for the NFL will really help the NFL, the AAF, and football in general, as there will be more avenues for players to get experience and exposure. AAF desperately needs a Superstar to emerge. Once they do, you market the hell out of them. That's the next step. 

Yep, but I think year 1 is "experiment, find a balance, test and see what works and what doesn't and adjust on the fly", remember this league has only had 9 functional months of having the infrastructure in place to get it set up. What will make or break it is "can we get streaming to be viable for our model and profitable as quickly as possible". Which is why they launched with a comprehensive app, lots of broadcast rights and teams set up, and a streaming platform that, and this is key, doesn't require an initial investment to get through. Which gets eyes on the product enough to make it viable. That's all they need it to be. Viable. Strong enough to stand like MiLB teams. Which is going to make branding and building a cohesive identity and local brand very important to it's long term strength as a league.

It's doing the right things so far.

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Did anybody play NFL Blitz on PS3? Where you could buy steroids from dealers and take them on the sideline, go to the strip club and throw haymakers on opponents in the game?

Thats what I view the XFL as. Like prison league football in a 'The Longest Yard' type stadium settings.

Yeah I loved that game, when a player got hurt and you elected to put them back in the game they had an animation of you juicing the player with steroids before throwing them back out there.

Wait no that was Blitz the league

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

He has been let down by his receivers in the last couple of minutes

1 minute ago, Stevein2012 said:

I dunno he's thrown a few decent passes, their WRs dropping everything.

you guys beat me to my edit by like a second

agreed. WR catching ability is the lowlight so far

Archived