AAF

Johnny Nix

It was really fun and actually pretty perfect in terms of how a Development league should look. Saw some guys I knew like Jalin Marshall and Gavin Escobar and Marcus Baugh. Really cool that they picked some cities like SA and Salt Lake City who dont have NFL teams and I would like to see that trend continue. If it expands put a team in Portland, OKC, Virginia, Columbus, ect

I instantly thought this would be a perfect league for guys like Johnny Manziel and Chad Kelly. Im actually suprised there isnt more well known players who arnt on current NFL rosters. Pretty excited about what this league can become with a bit of refinement 

The one thing I thought of was that there should be a draft for this league after each NFL draft for UDFAs. Like 3 rounds or something that a pool of all the young UDFAs go into who opt in for it sort of like 'declaring for a combine or pro day'. To keep the mix of rookies and ex-NFL guys having just maybe a 2-3 round rookie draft each year a few weeks after the NFL draft would be really cool.

They could possibly end up merging with the CFL and expand into Canada if this whole thing gains enough traction

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is there a link to watch these games?

The games stream live on YT, fuboTV and the Alliance App. You can catch their next two games today: Memphis @ Birmingham at 3pm CST on CBS Sports Network, and Salt Lake @ Arizona at 7pm on NFL Network. Details here. As far as going back and watching full games that have already aired, I'm not sure, but highlights are available.

Another thing I like about this league: you can actually hear the replay official evaluating the tape when a play is challenged or reviewed, like this.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It was really fun and actually pretty perfect in terms of how a Development league should look. Saw some guys I knew like Jalin Marshall and Gavin Escobar and Marcus Baugh. Really cool that they picked some cities like SA and Salt Lake City who dont have NFL teams and I would like to see that trend continue. If it expands put a team in Portland, OKC, Virginia, Columbus, ect

I instantly thought this would be a perfect league for guys like Johnny Manziel and Chad Kelly. Im actually suprised there isnt more well known players who arnt on current NFL rosters. Pretty excited about what this league can become with a bit of refinement 

The one thing I thought of was that there should be a draft for this league after each NFL draft for UDFAs. Like 3 rounds or something that a pool of all the young UDFAs go into who opt in for it sort of like 'declaring for a combine or pro day'. To keep the mix of rookies and ex-NFL guys having just maybe a 2-3 round rookie draft each year a few weeks after the NFL draft would be really cool.

They could possibly end up merging with the CFL and expand into Canada if this whole thing gains enough traction

I am pretty sure they plan on holding a draft in the beginning of september after the NFl cut date.

14 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think that if they keep coaches with big name recognition and show a viable product, it won't be long until guys that would normally need to transfer to JUCO, guys that come from very bad financial situations, and simply some decently big name high school recruits go to AAF to make at least some money and play against guys who were on NFL rosters.

If that happens, AAF could seriously thrive.  They could give certain players a viable option outside of conforming to NCAA rules.

And honestly...the games tonight were better than a number of TNF games I've been forced to endure.  

Thats a good idea actually. They could survive if they took some guys straight out of high school and let them play there for a few years, for money, playing against the has beens and udfas. The best freshman equivalents could compete, and that would give them the star power they need to draw crowds. 

The more draw they can get that way, the more they'll be able to pay for those stars. Eventually you may even see guys wait to declare for the NFL or not declare at all if they can think their chances of big money and fame are better where they're at. 

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I could see a merger with the XFL at some point. XFL will be much better than AAF imo by the way. 

12 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Based on what? Honest question.

They are not gonna aim to be a development league and hire a bunch of 70 year old coaches. Plus the logos and team names for the AAF are all absolutely dreadful. Expecting XFLs logos and names to be very good just like last time.

McMahon will be focused on less crazy antics this time and more on football. AAF does have a head start on talent though. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They are not gonna aim to be a development league and hire a bunch of 70 year old coaches. Plus the logos and team names for the AAF are all absolutely dreadful. Expecting XFLs logos and names to be very good just like last time.

McMahon will be focused on less crazy antics this time and more on football. AAF does have a head start on talent though. 

I don’t think competing against the NFL is smart at all. I think the development league is the best concept if they can get some HS stars.

i have no doubt that the XFL’s marketing will be better, though.

2 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I don’t think competing against the NFL is smart at all. I think the development league is the best concept if they can get some HS stars.

i have no doubt that the XFL’s marketing will be better, though.

XFL isn't gonna try to compete with the NFL this time but they are dang sure not gonna label themselves a developmental league.

22 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

XFL isn't gonna try to compete with the NFL this time but they are dang sure not gonna label themselves a developmental league.

XFL looks like they want to compete with NFL. They're promotion was being league that will force their players to stand for Anthem and no criminals allowed in league. Def a direct shot at the NFL 

5 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

XFL looks like they want to compete with NFL. They're promotion was being league that will force their players to stand for Anthem and no criminals allowed in league. Def a direct shot at the NFL 

XFL will certainly try to sign stars as well. I think there is a reason you won't see Manziel or Kaepernick in the AAF. XFL is going to sign anyone who can give them ratings.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

XFL will certainly try to sign stars as well. I think there is a reason you won't see Manziel or Kaepernick in the AAF. XFL is going to sign anyone who can give them ratings.

Manziel wants to do well in CFL so he has slight chance of being back in NFL

Kaepernick ain't playing football unless its the NFL, him playing in the XFL is a waste of his time