AAF

Johnny Nix

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Personally I hope Dundons app is a complete failure. Strikes me as a dirt bag.

Having said that, this doesnt shock me. Its unfortunate but not remotely surprising.

He didn’t even get the technology. The division was fired when he shut down. Had nothing to do with that. He’s also selling a massive 30 story building. Sounds like he just was right on money and wanted out 

I really don't understand why the NFL isn't more serious about a developmental league for themselves?  Sure NFL Europe was losing tons of money but if they were to put out a really focused "minor league" for the NFL here in the States it could be a big success in its own right, along with having a place for the teams to develop young bubble-players that aren't quite good enough yet to make the final 53 (or practice squads) but could really benefit from the experience of playing time and develop into starters.

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:

I really don't understand why the NFL isn't more serious about a developmental league for themselves?  Sure NFL Europe was losing tons of money but if they were to put out a really focused "minor league" for the NFL here in the States it could be a big success in its own right, along with having a place for the teams to develop young bubble-players that aren't quite good enough yet to make the final 53 (or practice squads) but could really benefit from the experience of playing time and develop into starters.

It's worthless to them. They have the NCAA for free and under that model they became the biggest sports brand in the world. NCAA football players are probably the most popular atletes not in the 4 major sports. And tbh there's probably 5 or so top tier college guys that are more popular than half of the MLB and NHL players.

NFL Europe was terrible financial. Literally every single spring league has field. The CFL and Arena League already take up the market these guys are looking at anyways. That's about the best you could ever do imo. 

On 4/4/2019 at 6:12 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

9.5K seats for a football game?

Yikes.

I'm pretty sure if the American Patriot League even ever hits the field for kickoff, they'll be begging and screaming for 3-5K on a weekly basis, let alone 9.5K. 

Though, looks like on WIki they have head coaches...

Canton - Jamie Thomas

Daytona Beach - Linwood Wright

Houston - Joe Nixon

Mobile - Tim Beckman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Beckman

Sacramento - Duncan Anderson

Shreveport - Erin Henderson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Henderson

Ypsilanti - TBA

TBD - TBA

Just a quick glance at a QB on one of the rosters, it looks like the league could poach Indoor Football League, Champions Indoor Football, American Arena League, etc talent. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:33 PM, megatechpc said:

The NFL does not need to develop talent, or rather, they don’t need to develop MORE talent. They have a system for funneling talent into the league. They have no competition for the top prospects and no need to look elsewhere for prospects. 

The minor league system in baseball developed organically. The minor league teams were independent and filled in gaps in small cities and towns were no MLB team existed (like the West Coast) . In the days before the draft, MLB teams signed amateurs from these teams and sandlots and wherever they could find them and placed them directly on the MLB roster. Having your own minor league team was way for individual teams to find talent that wasn’t ready for the majors, let it develop for a while and then bring it up to the majors. Having your own minor league system enabled teams to compete with each other.

The NFL has no futures contract like MLB. The ability to have a minor league system would benefit the teams with such affiliates.  If teams needed to draft high school seniors or risk losing the top talent to someone else, every team would get a minor league affiliate. But that’s expensive, so the league as a whole benefits from no one having  minor league affiliates.

The thing is, there absolutely ARE bubble-players that teams are forced to cut every year and every time a new league sprouts up these guys end up shining (there were several AAF players that got signed once the league folded).  So the merits of having a developmental league absolutely exists, but beyond that, I think that such a league could actually be a real money-maker for the NFL if it was done properly.  And don't bring up NFL Europe as that was never going to be successful due to simple lack of interest in football over there. 

Put this NFL development league here in the States, in cities that have no major sports teams, and have the season run in the spring during the football drought and I bet it would make plenty of money.  The AAF had plenty of issues but they actually drew some decent crowds (and from what I've seen, the ratings weren't that bad either).  There is definitely a market for such a product IMO, it just needs to be done right.

55 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

The thing is, there absolutely ARE bubble-players that teams are forced to cut every year and every time a new league sprouts up these guys end up shining (there were several AAF players that got signed once the league folded).  So the merits of having a developmental league absolutely exists, but beyond that, I think that such a league could actually be a real money-maker for the NFL if it was done properly.  And don't bring up NFL Europe as that was never going to be successful due to simple lack of interest in football over there. 

Put this NFL development league here in the States, in cities that have no major sports teams, and have the season run in the spring during the football drought and I bet it would make plenty of money.  The AAF had plenty of issues but they actually drew some decent crowds (and from what I've seen, the ratings weren't that bad either).  There is definitely a market for such a product IMO, it just needs to be done right.

I agree.

A league consisting of

West:

San Diego - SDCCU Stadium (Averaged 19k in AAF)

Sacramento - Hornet Stadium / Hughes Stadium (Averaged 18k in UFL in Sacramento)

Albuquerque (or Omaha) - Dreamstyle Stadium (Interesting market to try in my opinion, Omaha isn't a viable option in the spring at TD Ameritrade Park)

San Antonio - Alamodome (Averaged 28k in AAF)

East: 

Memphis - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium (Averaged 13k in AAF)

Birmingham - Legion Field / new BJCC Stadium (Averaged 14k in AAF with a tornado game) 

Orlando - Spectrum Stadium / Camping World Stadium (Averaged 20k in AAF)

Syracuse - Carrier Dome (A league could use a Northeastern team) 

I think a spring league should also start the 15th-20th of February at the earliest to early March instead of the week after the Super Bowl.

Archived