Best AAF Team - Apollo's or Stallions?

Apollo Stallion

Okay, blatant self promotion there, but gotta love 2 of the 8 AAF teams jacking my moniker.  For those not in the know, Apollo's and Stallions were the two runner up names to the Texans which is a name that I still hate although admittedly it sounds normal 18 years later. FYI - Dallas Texans remain the worst team in NFL history, going 1-11 in their only season before folding (yes, an NFL team playing in Texas managed to go broke).  The next Dallas Texans started in the AFL and eventually became the Kansas City Chiefs after the NFL expanded to Texas with that "other" Dallas team.  Then there was a Dallas Texans in the Arena League with a logo that looked like it was an elementary school project.  I guess 4th time is the charm, but still hate that the Texans name has a heritage in Dallas and a poor one at that.  From a marketing perspective the name was inherently limiting nationally as it basically threw away an opportunity to draw in audiences in "unclaimed" markets like LA, Vegas, Sacramento, Riverside, Ok City & Tulsa, Louisville, and it's not like the Cardinals own Arizona & New Mexico & Memphis who were salty about the Titans going to Nashville.  Even now, "orphans" like St. Louis and San Diego could be "Apollos" or "Stallions" fans, but are no more going to show "Texan pride" as we will Louisiana or Oklahoma. 

Oh yes, AAF.  Watching the Rockets, so not watching tonight, but might be some interesting things come out of it.  I suspect there will be a few Kurt Warner or Fred Jackson "graduates" to the NFL and maybe a rule change or two.  I at least get pro football close to Austin with the SA Commanders and they have a few interesting players like Cyril Richardson (Baylor), Orion Stewart (Baylor). Trey Williams (A&M),  Greg Ward Jr (UH).   Remember when we thought Jaryd Jones-Smith might emerge as the next Derek Newton for the Texans?  Ex Texans Kennan Gilchrist and Nick "please God don't let him make the Texans" Rose are Commanders.  Their QB is Logan Woodside (Toledo) who I was hoping the Texans would bring is as a UDFA before the Bengals drafted him late.  They really missed an opportunity not hiring one of my favorite Oilers "Commander Cody" Carlson, but otherwise I don't see me buying much "Commander" Merch.  For the record, the Memphis Express is a brilliant name (home of FedEx)!

I watched a handful of the San Antonio/San Diego game before the UFC fight - I was sparingly watching it, taking in a few plays between beers. It wasn't bad, wasn't bad at all - the QB play wasn't special, but everything else is entertaining football.

I've got a bunch of family in San Antonio (on my wife's side) so that makes my team the Commanders. 

Archived