🐢 Turtles 1st 2019 Mock Offseason

turtle28

Cuts

Alex Smith (Post June 1st) - It pains me to do this, I really liked Alex as the Redskins QB for the present and immediate future until we would have drafted a 1st or round QB in the 2020 or 2021 draft to eventually take over for him. I saw the Redskins passing offense have a tough transition with him the first half of the year but I believed that in future years things would get better for him and the chemistry with the WRs/TEs in our offense. Sadly, with his badly broken leg, it wasn't meant to be. I don't see him playing this year at all, and there's a serious question as to if he'll ever play again. IMO if he does come back for the 2020 season, he’s likely a back up for some one and not a $20 million a year starter.

We receive $12 million in insurance for the Alex Smith catastrophic injury - that’s what I heard on Al Galdi’s show from JA Hassell, so, from what I understand Alex’a cap hit would only be $8 million for this year instead of $20 million. 

Is that correct? Does @Woz or @Thaiphoon know?

Anyways, if you make Alex a June 1st cut now, it costs yiu for this season, but next year through 2022 his dead money would be $5.4 million a year and we’d save $16 million off our cap in 2020, $19 million in 2021 and $21 million in 2020.

So there’s that. I hate to end it that way, but if I’m the GM, I have to do what’s best for the long term health of the franchise, and sadly cutting Alex with a June 1st designation this year seems like the best course of action.

Josh Norman (Cap savings = $8.5 million) - Eveeyone who’s know me on this board for a decade plus and especially since we signed John Norman knows I was never on board with paying him the $75 mil contract. At first I liked the acquisition but I knew we overpaid to get him. Now, I don’t even like the acquisition of Norman anymore. I don’t think he’s a Leader like he should be to a young secondary, he doesn’t have top end speed to run with the fastest WRs on the outside, he has too many interests outside of football and has been inconsistent - flat out blowing a handful of coverages - since we signed him. 

As folks know, I was a Breeland guy. I thought we should’ve just rolled with Breeland and a cheaper FA to go with Bree and Fuller instead of overpaying to get Norman in 2015. Frankly, I’d take Bree at his price tag over Norman now if the Packers would do that swap. Bree is a FA though and as long as GB wants him back, he probably returns there.

Vernon Davis (cap savings $4.98 million) -

Youth movement and he’s not young. He’s had a great career. If I’m him, I retire and enter television. I think he’ll be a great analyst.

Stacy McGee (cap savings $2.3million) - I liked the signing when we made it but it hasn’t worked out like I thought it would. Last year, I honestly never understood why we kept him after he had to have groin surgery in May or June. We let go of Lanier to keep McGee, it will never make sense to, but that’s Brice Allen for ya!

Mason Foster (cap savings $4 million) - It goes w/o saying that the already slow Mason Foster has lost a step. Not only that but in several instances last year he couldn’t get off blocks which in the past wasn’t an issue for him. As we all know he’s never been able to cover either and today’s NFL that’s an issue. We can’t have him and Brown continue to be our starters together bc frankly they’re both two down ILBs. 

With the hiring of Rob Ryan, I think Zach Brown stays now and Rob convinces Manusky to have Zach attack all the time and rarely play coverage. If we do that, it will put more pressure on the interior of offensive lines and should have either Brown or one of our interior DL be freed up for even more pressure than they already bring.

If Reuben Foster is allowed to play next year then, I don’t think we draft an ILB in round 1 like Devin White, Josh Allen, Mack Wilson, Devin Bush or in round 2 like Tre Lamar, Khalil Hodge, T.J. Edwards or Germaine Pratt; I think that SDH and JHC are competing for our dime ILB positon, playing for Zach Brown vs pass happy teams and in our 3rd and long packages.  I think Zach Vigil still makes it as the back up to whomever our starting Mike is, Reuben Foster or SDH.

Re-signings

Re-sign Scherff to a 6-year $ 85 million contract.

2019 cap hit: $6 million 

Haha Clinton-Dix: 5 year $35 million contract:

2019 cap hit: $4 million 

Jamison Crowder: 5 year $30 million contract:

2019 cap hit: $4 million

Adrian Peterson: 2 year $7 million contract:

2019 cap hit: $2.5 million 

Junior Galette: 1 year $2 million 

Jonathan Cooper: 1 year $1.5 contract including roster bonus  

Josh Johnson: 1 year $1.5 contract including roster bonus  

2019 NFL Draft:

Round 1: Martez Sweat, OLB, Miss St.

Round 2: Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia 

Round 3: Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.

Round 3: Paris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

Round 5: Ross Pierschbacher, C/G, Alabama 

Round 5: Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State 

Round 6: Michael Jordan, G, Ohio State

Round 6: Gary Jennings, WR, WVU

Round 7: Byron Cowart, DE/DT, Maryland 

Round 7: Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College

Even though I personally don't think Ha Ha deserves to be resigned, I do think it's a real possibility. I would also welcome Long back for a reasonable deal. He did show solid starting ability and consistency at both guard and center while here. Cooper gives insurance and competition at the guard postion. Sweat, Thorhill, Campbell, and Sheffeild are guys I think could come in right away and contribute. With Rypien also possibly getting some late season action dependable on McCoy and Johnson performance. You also add two guards who could be potential quality back up on the depth chart from the draft. I do think they will or should consider adding another RB if Perterson isn't resigned though.

I think all your Free Agency moves are great. We can really open up a lot of cap space!

I'm not sure what I think about Martez Sweat. He looks like he is gonna test like a freak. I like that but it is confusing. I think he is more of a Vic Beasley/Randy Gregory than a Julius Peppers type of player. And how does he fit in a 3-4? That worries me. He's a wait and see player for me; what he does at the combine. I'm surprised you didn't pick your boy Hollywood Brown!

I will have to check out Juan Thornhill. Virginia prospects always seem to underwhelm and that worries me. Is he gonna test out athletically to be a 2nd rounder? Let's see. I love the idea of grabbing VT Tech/UVA/UMD/local college players. They seem to do well here.

Parris Campbell with the second third to me is your best pick. The offense needs some sort of explosion and I think he'd be a decent WCO WR.  I think he's a freak athlete.

I think...and I could be wrong here (since I'm feeding my 10 month old son and not paying too much attention), that a Post June 1st cut would cost us around $20.4m this year. And then we would owe the rest of the prorated bonuses for 20,21,22. Each are $5.4m. But we'd have to pay them all next year. So we'd have a cap hit of $16.2m next year too.

A little fuzzy on the cap insurance thing, but it might be correct.

Your draft is okay. I like some picks. Others I'm scratching my head (like 3 OSU players?).

And you aren't getting a 1-3 round OL? I don't like that. We need to start improving our line and it's harder to do it with 5th and 6th round JAGs and one year rentals (yes I know Long is a 3 year contract but while I'm okay with signing him, I think we can get someone more talented in the draft to eventually replace him)

Also, negative points for no Jimmy Moreland. hehe

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think...and I could be wrong here (since I'm feeding my 10 month old son and not paying too much attention), that a Post June 1st cut would cost us around $20.4m this year. And then we would owe the rest of the prorated bonuses for 20,21,22. Each are $5.4m. But we'd have to pay them all next year. So we'd have a cap hit of $16.2m next year too.

The way I read this that if it's a post-June 1st cut we’ll save cap space starting next year. But, if we don't designate him a June 1st cut then it's as you say.

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

21 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I rather try to find a young guy,,and I need a T E up there somewhere Rds 2-3

I don't think we need to use draft capital on RB. It’s better to just re-sign Peterson to a short contract for a few years until we know whether Guice is good to go or not. 

We have CT & Perine also. I'm just not sure why we’d want to draft another RB when we have talent there. Our issue with our running game is the LG position, interior OL depth and the crappy scheme we run.

I don't know why we need to draft a TE either. Sprinkle looks like he can be a better blocker than Reed and VD and he's a decent receiver. The 3rd TE is almost always just a special teams guy. Matt Flanagan (6’6, 260) can be a teams guy and another blocker too like we used to have with Logan Paulsen.  I don't see us drafting a TE early until Reed is gone and I don’t see that happening yet.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

From OTC, it's either a 27% hit all this coming season, or three seasons of a hit that is worth approximately 13% of the cap.  There is no way of getting out of this contract.  

The $12 million insurance policy may be granted it some point, but it's more like a credit.  For example, it may not be available to us this year, based on the process it takes to acquire/prove that the policy is necessary.  

54 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

From OTC, it's either a 27% hit all this coming season, or three seasons of a hit that is worth approximately 13% of the cap.  There is no way of getting out of this contract.  

The $12 million insurance policy may be granted it some point, but it's more like a credit.  For example, it may not be available to us this year, based on the process it takes to acquire/prove that the policy is necessary.  

We wouldn't ”get out of it” we’d have a $20.4 million cap hit this year and use the insurance for his catastrophic injury which I think saves us $12 million off of that $20.4 million.

Then, the years remaining in his contract we’d still pay that dead money but we wouldn't be paying $21, 24 & 26 million in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

He'd still be a cap hit for us but it would be:

2019: $20.4 million 

2020: $5.4 million

2021: $5.4 million

2022: $5.4 million 

At least $31 million over the next two years according to Joel Corry, a former agent who writes for CBS Sports- https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/salary-cap-expert-redskins-still-owe-alex-smith-tens-millions

I've posted this from OTC before, but the "kicking the can" philosophy will mean the Redskins have 13% of their cap tied up in Alex Smith for the next three years- https://overthecap.com/the-redskins-options-with-alex-smith/

And of course, there are the numerous Redskins blogs and other sites reporting the same thing.  So if anyone is seeing anything different, please post a link so we can take a look. 

48 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At least $31 million over the next two years according to Joel Corry, a former agent who writes for CBS Sports- https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/salary-cap-expert-redskins-still-owe-alex-smith-tens-millions

I've posted this from OTC before, but the "kicking the can" philosophy will mean the Redskins have 13% of their cap tied up in Alex Smith for the next three years- https://overthecap.com/the-redskins-options-with-alex-smith/

And of course, there are the numerous Redskins blogs and other sites reporting the same thing.  So if anyone is seeing anything different, please post a link so we can take a look. 

So I didn't see the extra $1.5m (maybe that was in other guarantees?) when I totaled it to $16.2 but they have us paying his cap this year and then in 2020 we owe $17.7m (I had $16.2). Because the prorated bonuses accelerate.

The Redskins could opt to use a June 1 cut on Smith. A June 1 cut essentially freezes Smith’s 2018 contract from March through June 1. On June 2 the cut would then be processed. In that situation the Redskins defer the $17.7 million in signing bonus acceleration to 2020.  However the guarantee still accelerates so if the injury guarantee does count on the cap that would add $16 million to histotal putting the Redskins right up against the cap. In my mind none of these options are really feasible.

That's IF it's a June 1st cut.

If it's not and we just flat out cut him? Its ALL (this year's hit plus what we'd be hit with next year) due this year.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

So I didn't see the extra $1.5m (maybe that was in other guarantees?) when I totaled it to $16.2 but they have us paying his cap this year and then in 2020 we owe $17.7m (I had $16.2). Because the prorated bonuses accelerate.

Yup.  Either way, its not pretty, and its also possible that we don't get the insurance policy amount until after we are finished paying Smith after cutting him.  

Archived