Who Wins the NFC East?

footbull3196

Poll title  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC East?

I don't necessarily think the Eagles offense is going to be amazing, but it is hard to imagine that they wont improve from last year.  Wentz with another year under his belt, drastically better receivers and Lane Johnson not suspended for half the season are all clear cut positives.  I have my concerns about Doug Pederson and our running game, but I think Sproles will still be a sound contributor and I fully expect that Smallwood will become more of a primary back over Blount.. whether that is a good thing or not is TBD.

Same thing defensively, the defense has really only improved on the whole.  Losing Bennie Logan sucks, but Jernigan is arguably a better fit for Schwartz's system and has been disruptive in the preseason.  Barnett looks like he'll be a solid contributor from day one and adds some depth to our D-line.  Darby might not be a true #1, but he's already better than any corner we've started the last 2 years.  Our #2 corner will be brutal, but as we saw last year a good pass rush and aggressive corner play can help mitigate that.  This front 7 should be able to provide a reliable pass rush and stop the run, which bodes well given the offenses they will be up against in the division.  

I could see the division going any which way. I think on paper, I'd say the Giants are the favorite, but I really have no idea what to reasonably expect from their offense, it could be electric or be the same herky jerky mess we've seen the last couple years.

IMO  it will be NY and Philly duking it out come, like, week 12 or 13. 

People seem to be recognizing how great New York's defense will be, and also failing to recognize the Eagles' D...which is going to be better. (To be fair I think we have the 2nd best in the NFL and Giants have the 3rd best So it's very close).

The criticism of Wentz's midseason play  is somewhat justified. But it is also fair to point out how much better he was when we had Lane Johnson for the first four weeks and then the last 3 (IIRC). Having Lane is huge for us,  and our depth was poor last year up front. Now we have him back, and our line is also now as deep as I've seen it in my lifetime honestly.....Carson looked like a top 10 QB when we were actually able to protect him, even with terrible WR play and no run game. The run game might be slightly better, depending on Blount being consistent and Smallwood also taking a step forward as a player. But with such a good OL, our run game will look better than it is anyway. Jeffrey and Ertz will lead the league in receiving at their positions if they can both stay healthy. A pessimist would predict our offense to be mediocre. Optimist would say top 10. I think itll be something like 8th in passing DVOA and 15th in rushing. 

And I was going to post about it before I saw someone beat me to it.....but given that this was a 7 win team with a rookie QB and we went 1-6 in one score games, it's safe to assume a 2-3 game improvement at the least (barring catastrophic Chargers-like injuries). 

The Giants weaknesses on offense are going to hurt them more also. I'd rather have our OL with our WRs than their OL and their WR group. 

It's so close really. It'll come down to a one game difference I think. Both teams will win 10 games at the least , and it might come down to the team who stays healthy and gets the improvement they hope for.

2 hours ago, BAConrad said:

IMO  it will be NY and Philly duking it out come, like, week 12 or 13. 

People seem to be recognizing how great New York's defense will be, and also failing to recognize the Eagles' D...which is going to be better. (To be fair I think we have the 2nd best in the NFL and Giants have the 3rd best So it's very close).

The criticism of Wentz's midseason play  is somewhat justified. But it is also fair to point out how much better he was when we had Lane Johnson for the first four weeks and then the last 3 (IIRC). Having Lane is huge for us,  and our depth was poor last year up front. Now we have him back, and our line is also now as deep as I've seen it in my lifetime honestly.....Carson looked like a top 10 QB when we were actually able to protect him, even with terrible WR play and no run game. The run game might be slightly better, depending on Blount being consistent and Smallwood also taking a step forward as a player. But with such a good OL, our run game will look better than it is anyway. Jeffrey and Ertz will lead the league in receiving at their positions if they can both stay healthy. A pessimist would predict our offense to be mediocre. Optimist would say top 10. I think itll be something like 8th in passing DVOA and 15th in rushing. 

And I was going to post about it before I saw someone beat me to it.....but given that this was a 7 win team with a rookie QB and we went 1-6 in one score games, it's safe to assume a 2-3 game improvement at the least (barring catastrophic Chargers-like injuries). 

The Giants weaknesses on offense are going to hurt them more also. I'd rather have our OL with our WRs than their OL and their WR group. 

It's so close really. It'll come down to a one game difference I think. Both teams will win 10 games at the least , and it might come down to the team who stays healthy and gets the improvement they hope for.

O.o

Giants. Defense should be very good again, run game should be a bit improved, and I expect Eli to rebound to an extent. I have them winning about 11 again.

I think Dallas will have to become over reliant on their run game and defense it will cost them. If I'm wrong and Dak is able to adjust seamlessly to the new looks opposing DCs throw at him, then it's a coin toss between them and the Giants.

Skins and Eagles both have a shot, I could see them reaching 10 wins, or just as easily only getting 6. If they're on the right side of some close games and the Giants bust then either of them could ****** the crown.

Overall I expect it to be a tight race early, and a 2 man race in the latter part of the season.

I think the Giants have assembled the second best roster in the league, winning 12 or 13 games is not out of their reach imo. Legit top 5 defense, legit pass catching group. What can sabotage them is Eli's wild inconsistency and OL inconsistency.

Dallas is due for regression, imo. They lost OL continuity, they'll miss Zeke badly in the first six games and their defense is overly reliant on rookies to make a solid output. I have a hard time thinking about scenarios where they'll get over 10 wins, but that's very achievable if Prescott and theit WR corps play to 2016 performances. I have them losing straight out of the gate at least 3 games in the absence od Eliott.

If Philly continues to build on their 2016 defense and their OL plays as good as expected, they have a chance of upsetting tons of better teams. Wentz develoment from his rookie season is key here too. They did look like the best defensive unit at some point last season and they did look a very competitive group with key OL absences and a still very green QB. I'd put them around 10-6, but the variance is way too big since we have now idea how Wentz is going to look.

No idea how the Redskins defense will look, but it's pretty safe to say that their offense will look good, but this is safe for me to say they are the worst looking NFCE team right now.

NFCE looks really the strongest and most competitive division in football besides maybe NFCS and AFCW.

1- Giants - 11-5 to 13-3

2- Eagles - 8-8 to 11-5

3 - Cowboys - 7-9 to 10-6

4 Redskins - 7-9 to 9-7

3 minutes ago, brazilianguy said:

Dallas is due for regression, imo. They lost OL continuity, they'll miss Zeke badly in the first six games and their defense is overly reliant on rookies to make a solid output. I have a hard time thinking about scenarios where they'll get over 10 wins, but that's very achievable if Prescott and their WR corps play to 2016 performances.

Just pointing out:

they had one o-line change and both potential replacements were on the team last year, one has been with the team several years.

If you read the transcripts from the appeals hearing, there's no way Zeke misses six games this year. Either Henderson will vacate the suspension or Zeke will get an injunction. The NFL looks *really* bad here.

It seems unlikely that Dallas will be starting a single rookie on defense at this point. Though Jaylon Smith might start at Mike and he would be, effectively, one. I'm not suggesting that their defense is going to be top 5 or something, but they were middle of the pack last year and 7 projected starters started games for them last year, while the remaining 4 are 2 free agent acquisitions, a depth player who has been promoted, and either Jaylon Smith or Justin Durant at Mike.  Again, not saying it's the return of Doomsday, but all of these guys are veterans and Jaylon Smith is the only potential starter that hasn't started multiple games in the NFL.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Super4 said:

Well hindsight is 20/20 but I still picked Dallas just now. ¬¬

Don't worry, man.  "They" will be sifting through/bumping old threads containing posts that doubted their team for the next couple of weeks.  Just weather the storm during their first "hangover" phase.

Archived