Who gets in Hall of Fame 1st of 2004 QB Class?

x0x

Hall of Fame QBs  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets in 1st?

• Eli Manning
    • Ben Roethlisberger
    • Philip Rivers

Roethlisberger is the obvious choice based on his actual on-field track record, but the voters may choose to hold him back a year or two in some impotent protest over the allegations against him. 

Rivers is more deserving than Manning, but Manning is more likely to make it because muh Super Bowlz.

I think Eli gets in first because I think he retires first. I also don't really think he belongs in, but I think he gets deference due to being a multi-SB winning Manning.

Ben probably gets in next due to his overall body of work.

I like Rivers a lot, but I don't see him as a HOF QB without a ring or even SB appearance. I know it's nitpicky, but I just don't see it happening at this point. 

18 hours ago, Pugger said:

Eli will because of his 2 rings.  He wouldn't be the first SB winning QB to get in that really shouldn't have (Namath is one that comes to mind immediately).  Rivers has to really come on in these last years of his career to have a shot IMO.

Eli is not getting in because of his two rings. He is getting in because his name and storyline. The rings are an afterthought and always will be unless he does something miraculous before he retires. 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Eli is not getting in because of his two rings. He is getting in because his name and storyline. The rings are an afterthought and always will be unless he does something miraculous before he retires. 

His name?  Because he is Peyton's brother and Archie's son?  Really?  What difference would that make?  What storyline?     

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

His name?  Because he is Peyton's brother and Archie's son?  Really?  What difference would that make?  What storyline?     

It’s a dumb thing people say. Archie isn’t in the hall and Peyton would get in regardless of his last name. 

Eli’s getting in because of Super Bowls. You have to be dreadful to not get in the HOF as a QB with multiple Super Bowls. 

My advice, most people don’t pay attention to the HOF enough and look at how guys get in and just put meaningless criteria they find meaningful to it. You can generally see what they value at each position if you do even minimal research 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lancerman said:

It’s a dumb thing people say. Archie isn’t in the hall and Peyton would get in regardless of his last name. 

Eli’s getting in because of Super Bowls. You have to be dreadful to not get in the HOF as a QB with multiple Super Bowls. 

My advice, most people don’t pay attention to the HOF enough and look at how guys get in and just put meaningless criteria they find meaningful to it. You can generally see what they value at each position if you do even minimal research 

We been over this but you seem to not be interested in facts.  So lets go over them again

There are SB winning qbs not in the hall. There is a QB with 2 rings not in the HOF.

I promise promise promise you HOF voters highly value probowls. Its just a fact. Look at any player in NFL history who has made the probowl atleast 8 times, show me how many are not in the hall. Fans are fickle and think probowls are popularity contest. They really arent. 2/3 of the votes are coaches and players. Sure every year there is a couple snubs and a couple questionable calls according to the fans, based off face value stats. But overall, they are accurate measures of the best players.

You wont find players who have 8 probowls, retire in all likeiness top 5 or 4 in every major statline for their position, who have had a handful of elite seasons and retire top 5 in wins not make the HOF.  I say this again, i guarantee if Rivers continues his career trajectory for another 3 to 4 years with no MVP, all pro or SB, he will be a HOF lock. To me, there is 0% chance otherwise. You wont find another qb who is in the same situation as him, so he is an outlier. But his credentials, guarantee him a spot in the HOF. 

17 hours ago, Pugger said:

His name?  Because he is Peyton's brother and Archie's son? 

Yes.

What difference would that make? 

Have you ever forgot he was a Manning? Yeah....... the voters won't either. Despite how mediocre he has been his entire career.

What storyline?     

???

15 hours ago, lancerman said:

You have to be dreadful to not get in the HOF as a QB with multiple Super Bowls. 

Another Giants QB says hi.

15 hours ago, lancerman said:

I don't think you know what this word means......

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

We been over this but you seem to not be interested in facts.  So lets go over them again

There are SB winning qbs not in the hall. There is a QB with 2 rings not in the HOF.

I promise promise promise you HOF voters highly value probowls. Its just a fact. Look at any player in NFL history who has made the probowl atleast 8 times, show me how many are not in the hall. Fans are fickle and think probowls are popularity contest. They really arent. 2/3 of the votes are coaches and players. Sure every year there is a couple snubs and a couple questionable calls according to the fans, based off face value stats. But overall, they are accurate measures of the best players.

You wont find players who have 8 probowls, retire in all likeiness top 5 or 4 in every major statline for their position, who have had a handful of elite seasons and retire top 5 in wins not make the HOF.  I say this again, i guarantee if Rivers continues his career trajectory for another 3 to 4 years with no MVP, all pro or SB, he will be a HOF lock. To me, there is 0% chance otherwise. You wont find another qb who is in the same situation as him, so he is an outlier. But his credentials, guarantee him a spot in the HOF. 

“You have to be dreadful not to get in the HOF as a QB with multiple Super Bowls”

Proceeds to bring up the line example of a QB who didn’t make the Hall of Fame with multiple rings because he had more INT’s than TD’s and a passer rating below 70. Which precisely proves my point. 

There isn’t a single QB that has ever got in the Hall without either a Super Bowl, an MVP or an All Pro. Not a single one. There’s not even an exception that you can cling too that’s egregiots like Plunkett. Two of those are things the writers actually vote on and we know they value. One is the whole point of the game. Rivers has neither. He’s legitimately less accomplished than every QB in the Hall. You built an entire case around Pro Bowls and that he finished high in some stats that 9 of his peers will be top 10 in. 

This is just a case of a fan overvaluing things that they think makes their guys case. We already have a good barometer for what they value. You can think there’s  0% chance he doesn’t get in and you’d be 100% wrong.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

“You have to be dreadful not to get in the HOF as a QB with multiple Super Bowls”

Proceeds to bring up the line example of a QB who didn’t make the Hall of Fame with multiple rings because he had more INT’s than TD’s and a passer rating below 70. Which precisely proves my point. 

There isn’t a single QB that has ever got in the Hall without either a Super Bowl, an MVP or an All Pro. Not a single one. There’s not even an exception that you can cling too that’s egregiots like Plunkett. Two of those are things the writers actually vote on and we know they value. One is the whole point of the game. Rivers has neither. He’s legitimately less accomplished than every QB in the Hall. You built an entire case around Pro Bowls and that he finished high in some stats that 9 of his peers will be top 10 in. 

This is just a case of a fan overvaluing things that they think makes their guys case. We already have a good barometer for what they value. You can think there’s  0% chance he doesn’t get in and you’d be 100% wrong.. 

You create a rule, but then apply an exception to that rule. That's not how it works. You cant say no qb with multiple sb rings is in the hall... EXCEPT if they have horrible stats like the 1 guy who falls into this category. 

Again, there is 13 qbs all time who are atleast 8 time probowlers. All of them are in the hall except for Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rivers. But somehow you want to apply 3 new levels of a rule to a wider field and somehow you want to validatr that rule and invalidate my much more refined more exclusive rule.

Rivers is less accomplished? So to you a all pro, or a single ring or a single mvp season is more accomplished than putting up all time top 4-5 numbers in nearly most major qb stats to go with 8 probowls, which only 12 other qbs in NFL history have done?

This is a case of someone who dug their feet on some arbritary rule and even though he has been presented a much more definitive rule, he is too proud to change his stance.

If Rivers gets to 10 probowls, which is very likely. He will join only 39 other players in NFL history... any position any era with that distinction. Yet you think he will be a long shot? Yeah ok fam.... we'll sale that. 0% chance.