Jrry32's First Mock Off-Season of the Year

jrry32

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Wouldn't give a wet rag for Clay Matthews.

Fowler is 24, we've invested two mid round picks on him, and he showed up in the playoffs. I agree we should wait to give him a long term deal, but he would be foolish to sign a one year prove it when someone with cap space will throw money at him. Especially since Clowney, Dee Ford, and Frank Clark will likely all be tagged leaving few available rushers. Tag him.

2019 total cap projected to be $190MM

DE Franchise Tag $17.143MM

LB Franchise Tag $14.961MM

I wonder if we could get away with tagging him as a LB.

Those numbers are not workable for Fowler.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:00 AM, BStanRamFan said:

If McVay's water boys are getting HC jobs there no reason his back up WR won't garner similar attention. And honestly, Reynolds is worth taking a chance on for a 3rd rounder.

All the chips were in last year because of the window of Goff's rookie deal. If we approach this season in a similar manner and do no extend Goff until his 5th year then we can pay Fowler a 1 year tag price and I think it's worth using to find out if he is worth handing a long term deal to. I think we will continue to hand out 1yr deals to many vets looking to win a superbowl. Players that come to mind are Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Mo Wilkerson.

Sorry, but this strain of logic is asinine.  It really is.  We're two years removed from every team having scouted Reynolds and from him being available to us in the 4th.  Just by virtue of him having played in McVay's scheme doesn't instantly appreciate his value, particularly when receivers of his skill set are declaring more and more these days.  Comparing the demand for players who play under a particular coach to coaches working with (and, at least the hope around league circles is, learning from) a particular coach is about as apples and oranges as you can get outside of Bud Light and good beer.

Also, the words "DeSean Jackson" and "on the cheap" are in no way synonymous, nor is DeSean coming in and being content to slot in as the WR4 (which he'd be - he's redundant in Cooks' role and Cooks is better at it; he's not the blitz-breaker that Kupp is; and he's been outproduced by Woods consistently).

Finally, you kind of missed out on a key component of the 1-year deal we brought Suh in on last year... he was a released free agent who wouldn't count against us in the comp pick formula (which is a strategy this team is pretty clearly in on, as it gives us the flexibility to trade Day 2 picks at the trade deadline counting on getting back a similar pick - maybe a few slots later - .from the compensatory picks rewarded for previous offseason's losses).  What that means is that your traditional UFA's are off-the-table by and large.  Those big names, even on 1-year contracts, are going to command the kind of single-year salary (and deserve it) that would screw up the compensatory formula for us.  We'll likely/largely be limited to guys who are released as cap-casualties

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Sorry, but this strain of logic is asinine.  It really is.  We're two years removed from every team having scouted Reynolds and from him being available to us in the 4th.  Just by virtue of him having played in McVay's scheme doesn't instantly appreciate his value, particularly when receivers of his skill set are declaring more and more these days.  Comparing the demand for players who play under a particular coach to coaches working with (and, at least the hope around league circles is, learning from) a particular coach is about as apples and oranges as you can get outside of Bud Light and good beer.

Also, the words "DeSean Jackson" and "on the cheap" are in no way synonymous, nor is DeSean coming in and being content to slot in as the WR4 (which he'd be - he's redundant in Cooks' role and Cooks is better at it; he's not the blitz-breaker that Kupp is; and he's been outproduced by Woods consistently).

Finally, you kind of missed out on a key component of the 1-year deal we brought Suh in on last year... he was a released free agent who wouldn't count against us in the comp pick formula (which is a strategy this team is pretty clearly in on, as it gives us the flexibility to trade Day 2 picks at the trade deadline counting on getting back a similar pick - maybe a few slots later - .from the compensatory picks rewarded for previous offseason's losses).  What that means is that your traditional UFA's are off-the-table by and large.  Those big names, even on 1-year contracts, are going to command the kind of single-year salary (and deserve it) that would screw up the compensatory formula for us.  We'll likely/largely be limited to guys who are released as cap-casualties

I think DeSean would be a cut, but it still won't happen. Justin Houston and Malik Jackson are two ones I'm watching (in addition to Stewart).

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I think DeSean would be a cut, but it still won't happen. Justin Houston and Malik Jackson are two ones I'm watching (in addition to Stewart).

I think DeSean will be cut, but I also think he's going to want at least triple the league minimum (for a player of his veteran-status the minimum would be just short of $1.1M/yr; so $3-3.5M) and paying that for what would effectively be our WR4 is dumb.

Malik Jackson, I agree with.  Houston - I just don't think can stay healthy at this point, but would depend on the numbers.  I don't really see him as being in a comparable situation to where Ware (who had less injury history) was when Wade brought him in to Denver.  Also bears noting that at the time we traded for Fowler we'd really only gotten what a week or slightly more of practices out of Okoronkwo since he'd returned from the IR?  I wouldn't be shocked if we were at least a little hesitant to block his path to reps and development.  We could also see a post-draft renewal of our pursuit of Jerry Hughes from the trade deadline (he'll be in a contract year) and the Bills have a decent amount of cap room and usually try to at least be players in the FA market.  Depending on how their roster shakes out, they could be looking to move him and amendable to doing it for a 2020 pick.

Idk how y’all can say we’re a conservative team. Or that we’re going that way. 

No one and their momma thought we would have traded for 

Peters/Talib/Cooks and sing Suh in The off season.

Our main issue was extending Donald and keeping Tru and Lamarcus. Those were our main issues. 

We're not really saying we're conservative, just that Les has found his angle he's going to work (because not a lot of teams are doing that right now - the Pats used to, kind of still do, but that's about it) and I don't see him deviating from that unless it becomes a necessity.  Especially when it almost certainly factored into the planning for this offseason.  if he deploys a different strategy it's likely to be one that develops over the the later part of the offseason and carries over into the season itself, more having an effect on the 2020 offseason than this one.  And that could well come if Suh, LMJ, and (possibly) Fowler don't get the kind of contracts that would yield worthwhile comp picks.  But until that happens, there's no real reason to expect some major change in philosophy.

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

We're not really saying we're conservative, just that Les has found his angle he's going to work (because not a lot of teams are doing that right now - the Pats used to, kind of still do, but that's about it) and I don't see him deviating from that unless it becomes a necessity.  Especially when it almost certainly factored into the planning for this offseason.  if he deploys a different strategy it's likely to be one that develops over the the later part of the offseason and carries over into the season itself, more having an effect on the 2020 offseason than this one.  And that could well come if Suh, LMJ, and (possibly) Fowler don't get the kind of contracts that would yield worthwhile comp picks.  But until that happens, there's no real reason to expect some major change in philosophy.

I'm just in the mindset that Brocks contract could be used to bring 2-3 solid to ok guys.. The fact that Donald was doubled or trippled without help broke my heart.

Worth noting too, the NFL rescinded Jaylon Ferguson's combine invite today because of a rule requiring a dismissal for any prospect with a felony or misdemeanor conviction for a violent crime (he has a misdemeanor battery conviction from his freshman year in college) from the combine.  If it gives us a more realistic shot at him, I'll take every bit of help we can get.  I can't quite peg who Ferguson reminds me of (I see elements of several players in his game) but he can convert speed-to-power and has quality handwork which are two keys that are going to allow any edge rusher to find success in the NFL.  Honestly, could be Mike Daniels that he reminds me some of, also Conner Barwin.

Archived