Stephen Gostkowski Hall of Famer (What Ballot)?

x0x

Will Stephen Gostkowski make the Hall of Fame?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. And if yes on what ballot?

• First 5 Ballots, could be GOAT.
    • Ballots 5-10
    • Last Ballot
    • Senior's Committee
    • No. Never.

Gostkowski missed too many crucial kicks to be considered even though he probably will end up with the 2nd most SB appearances for a very long time and is a very good kicker and had GOAT potential but did not fullfill it.

- He cost the Patriots a chance of winning SB 50

- He missed FGs in a lot of SBs and did not have any game winning FGs in SBs

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

As it stands right now, there's no chance.

Vinatieri will make it because of the high profile kicks, and I think he would have even if his career had ended a little earlier. Gostkowski, despite being on a very successful playoff team, doesn't have those. No game winning kicks or kicks to take it into overtime. Really not much for completed field goals in the superbowl wins period, if we're being honest. So he doesn't have the Vinatieri style ticket.

Anderson is in there because of volume, pure and simple. He just lasted so long and kicked so many field goals. At the time of retirement, first in field goals, first in games played, second in extra points, first in points. Gostkowski is still years away from that kind of volume.

This will become worth talking about if/when Gostkowski is still kicking like 6 or 7 years from now.

Barring injury though Gosthowski will almost surely play 7 more seasons. He'll probably end with most playoff field goals for compiling numbers and has 2nd most SB appearances by a player.

4 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

This is a more reasonable question than Edelman or Slater at least - but still a pretty hard "no". There are two things counting against him here - 1 is that, compared to AV, he hasn't had any really big-time kicks. In a weird way his role is more prominent in losses.

- BB forgoes a couple of long FG attempts, instead goes for it on 4th down in 07. Patriots lose. Obviously not SG's fault, but those are potential game-winning points he does not have.

- Missed XP in 2015 AFCCG that turned out to be the difference in the game. If he'd made that then the game goes to OT and the Pats could have just played their 5th SB in a row.

- Missed XP in SB51 that could have cost them the game, and made it so they needed two 2PT attempts to go to OT.

- Missed a FG in SB 52 that may well have been the difference in the game in the end. Who knows.

- Missed a FG in SB 53 that might have let the Rams right back into it.

- Missed XP in Miami this season which allowed the miracle in miami to happen.

Weigh that against his famous good moments and what do you have? There was the 57 yard game winner against the Giants. There was forcing a recovering a fumble to win the game @Buffalo in 2009. I can't think of anything else. In fact I challenge any football fan - or even a Patriots fan - to name a "famous" Gostkowski kick.

I'm not down-playing SG's career. He's been a premier kicker for a long time, and we all know kickers should never be taken for granted, but when your misses are more famous/influential than your makes you aren't going into the hall.

All good points but he's still going to have the 6 appearances and 3 rings if nothing changes and highest percentage right now.

While not having the clutch moments except possibly clinching this past Super Bowl he doesn't have the Norwood or Anderson or Vanderjagt misses that killed those guys careers.

28 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think Vinatieri is currently the only active kicker with a shot at the HoF. Even then he'll wait until there's a down year of talent waiting to go in, which could be quite a while.

He could be the oldest player in NFL history. Man will make it in on 2nd or 3rd ballot.

38 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think Vinatieri is currently the only active kicker with a shot at the HoF. Even then he'll wait until there's a down year of talent waiting to go in, which could be quite a while.

Justin Tucker is the best kicker Ive ever seen IMO.   Unless he completely falls off a cliff going foward, it will be a travesty if he doesnt make it.      

9 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Justin Tucker is the best kicker Ive ever seen IMO.   Unless he completely falls off a cliff going foward, it will be a travesty if he doesnt make it.      

Tucker is amazing. I think he has the potential to get in but he’ll have to play for another decade and probably win at least one Super Bowl.

Kickers aren’t treated like other positions. No matter if they’re great they have an uphill battle to get in because of their position. Guys like Vinatieri, Tucker, Carney, Elam, Gary Anderson, Hanson, etc should all have a shot. But it’s unlikely to happen with the way voting is currently set up. 

Vinatieri is likely to get in because of his record and longevity. 

Archived