Better Player: Steve Young or Peyton Manning

mdonnelly21

68 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

You are right, 188 yards of rushing in the KC game, with the D holding KC to 126 yards of total offense. Meanwhile, Manning threw 3 INTs. Good thing Manning didnt throw later in the game. He may have thrown 4 or 5 INTs instead. Yep, that's a carry.

Five TOs in the SB is 5 TOs. Plus 247 yards of rushing on offense. Compared to 1 TD and 1 INT? Yep, that's a carry.

I don't know what to tell you. I try applying context to numbers and you keep going back to the numbers. If that's all that matter to you, then I got nothing to argue.

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

This is incorrect, by the way. As I stated earlier, Manning's playoff passer rating in 2006 was 5% above what his opponents allowed that year. That is the third worst in the last 20 years, ahead only of himself in 2015 and Brady this year. The highest were Rodgers and Brees - during their SB-winning runs, they both had passer ratings that were 45% above what their opponents allowed. Both the median and average for SB winning QBs were 23% above opponents' passer rating allowed.

I gotta ask, are you compiling these stats yourself or are they readied somewhere?

On 2/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, NJerseypaint said:

In the 2006 playoffs he faced 3 top 5 defenses. His worst game was away against the league's #1 def (Ravens), but he threw all over the Pats and was solid against the Bears. To say he was carried is silly.

Usually I don't describe dropping 38 points, including 5 touchdowns in the second half throwing all over the opposition that is a top 3 defense, as "being carried." That doesn't quite seem right to me, but hey, I'm just being objective.  

Player for player, Young. He ran the West coast offense as efficiently as possible and added an extra dimension being able to be just as effective running. Teams literally had to pick their poison, he didn't run all the time, but when he did, it was deadly. Manning was the closest thing to a machine playing QB as you will ever see, he literally had a CPU as a brain while dissecting defensive coverages even when trying to disguise. I just prefer Young because he was multidimensional.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Come on. A better one would be Young vs Rodgers. Similiar players and more comparable. Peyton is a QB god. 

yeah I don't think it's debatable. Peyton is firmly a top 3 QB of all time.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Usually I don't describe dropping 38 points, including 5 touchdowns in the second half throwing all over the opposition that is a top 3 defense, as "being carried." That doesn't quite seem right to me, but hey, I'm just being objective.  

No, youre not being objective. Youre citing one good half out of eight halves that he played in those playoffs. If you look at the entire playoff run, he was most certainly carried.

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

No, youre not being objective. Youre citing one good half out of eight halves that he played in those playoffs. If you look at the entire playoff run, he was most certainly carried.

You're citing 7 plays as evidence that he played badly. If anything, that's worse. 

Archived