A Great Example of Great Roster Management

Just Want A Title

In a different post I mentioned how good the Patriots are at not over-valuing the talent on the roster.  I read this article a few minutes ago:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/patriots-in-great-shape-on-day-2-of-the-draft/

In short, the Patriots will have their first round pick, two second round picks and two third round picks.  They are also expected to pick up two compensatory picks at the end of the third round.  They will have all of that without making any additional trades and will get Isiah Wynn back next year.  They may miss on some draft picks but when you manage your draft and roster with this level of mastery, it makes being a consistent winner almost a foregone conclusion.  I hope we can get to that point in the near future.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

In a different post I mentioned how good the Patriots are at not over-valuing the talent on the roster.  I read this article a few minutes ago:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/patriots-in-great-shape-on-day-2-of-the-draft/

In short, the Patriots will have their first round pick, two second round picks and two third round picks.  They are also expected to pick up two compensatory picks at the end of the third round.  They will have all of that without making any additional trades and will get Isiah Wynn back next year.  They may miss on some draft picks but when you manage your draft and roster with this level of mastery, it makes being a consistent winner almost a foregone conclusion.  I hope we can get to that point in the near future.

As also mentioned in other threads, the Patriots also have Bill Belichick, who can take average athletes/players, teach them to do their job well, and they will look like stars.  They have good roster management because they have an elite coach who develops talent and gameplans better than anybody in the history of the game.  Every team strives to be what the Patriots are but none can because they don't have Belichick. Having a bunch of draft picks is made possible because he can get similar production of Cooks out of the combination of Hogan, Patterson, Gordon. 

The Patriots are the exception, not the rule.  Unfortunately until the next greatest of all time contender comes along, we will not see a run like the Patriots have made so trying to compare anything anyone else does is pointless IMO. 

Archived