Who is the game 1 starter?

TKellion

This has to be the only organization that thinks Colt McCoy is an NFL starter. With that in mind, last season was the year to start Colt and reboot but instead we made the horrible Smith trade and then made it worse by giving him an extension.

But still, I’m just blown away by the amount of local media people who keep saying “just roll with Colt”. How? How do you roll with a guy who gets hurt every single time he plays? Who plays QB once he inevitably gets hurt? Josh Johnson? I want nothing to do with any of the free agent QBs as they’re just a waste of time. I still stand by drafting a QB at 15 if one of the top 4 are available and I assume one will be but please god don’t go sign Fitzpatrick, Tannehill or trade for Dalton so we can go 7-9 again. 

I guess now the idea is we won’t draft a QB because we should get Smith back in 2020 which may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard come from this organization. Smith is done. He’s a QB who relies on his legs to make plays and one of them just fell off. For all intense and purposes it’s still attached but let’s be real, he’s lucky to still have it. Only Bruce Allen would rely on a QB coming back at age 36 who nearly lost his leg. Christ we have to be the dumbest run organization in all of sports. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This has to be the only organization that thinks Colt McCoy is an NFL starter. With that in mind, last season was the year to start Colt and reboot but instead we made the horrible Smith trade and then made it worse by giving him an extension.

But still, I’m just blown away by the amount of local media people who keep saying “just roll with Colt”. How? How do you roll with a guy who gets hurt every single time he plays? Who plays QB once he inevitably gets hurt? Josh Johnson? I want nothing to do with any of the free agent QBs as they’re just a waste of time. I still stand by drafting a QB at 15 if one of the top 4 are available and I assume one will be but please god don’t go sign Fitzpatrick, Tannehill or trade for Dalton so we can go 7-9 again. 

I guess now the idea is we won’t draft a QB because we should get Smith back in 2020 which may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard come from this organization. Smith is done. He’s a QB who relies on his legs to make plays and one of them just fell off. For all intense and purposes it’s still attached but let’s be real, he’s lucky to still have it. Only Bruce Allen would rely on a QB coming back at age 36 who nearly lost his leg. Christ we have to be the dumbest run organization in all of sports. 

No I think its more of a punt the 2019 season by going with McCoy, if he gets hurt who cares because we're tanking anyways.  Then draft a QB next year.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

This is now the “year to roll with Colt.” Last year is over, the Alex trade is over, we are talking about week 1 of this year. So, the “roll wit Colt” and a rookie developing makes just as much sense now as it did last year. Before the Alex injury, we wouldn’t be talking about Colt being the week 1 starter, but bc of that catastrophic broken leg we are. We don’t have the cap space to buy another QB this off-season but, we can draft one to develop - or even beat out Colt - and that’s what we should do.

It should be McCoy. And I don’t care who the backup is, whether it’s Josh Johnson or someone else of that ilk. 

The way to build an Insta-Contender™️ in today’s NFL is to draft a gifted young QB and add him to an already mostly-built roster. This is, generally, what we’re seeing with the Rams, Chiefs, Eagles, and Bears at the moment. And possibly the Browns as well — they plugged Mayfield into an offense with a highly-paid veteran OL, two quality backs in Hyde and Chubb plus a really good receiving back in Duke Johnson, and a receiving group consisting of a major FA acquisition in Landry, a superstar talent in Gordon, and some great athletes like Callaway and Njoku. They put him in a situation where he could succeed immediately. The same was true of the rosters around Wentz (in his rookie year) and Goff/Mahomes/Trubisky (by their second seasons, at least).

Unsurprisingly, the other teams that drafted top 10 QBs in the last draft — who had much less talent, especially on the OL — saw those QBs flounder in their rookie season. At best, those teams have now wasted one of the affordable seasons they’ll get out of their new franchise QBs. To take maximum advantage of that cheap rookie QB contract, you want to build your roster and then add your QB. 

The Redskins’ roster is not yet built. In terms of the offense that a rookie QB would be plugged into, they absolutely need at least one more starting-caliber OL and a top WR who can run routes and create yards after the catch. They could also use some better interior OL depth and probably another TE to fill VD’s role, as well as some time for Geron Christian to develop into a playable NFL OT. That’s before you even get to the defense, where the back seven/eight obviously needs a lot of attention.

The right play is to take this offseason to improve the roster around the QB and go with McCoy. The nice thing about Colt is that we already have to pay him anyway, so going with him means no added cost. He’s not going to embarrass you, but he’s also not going to win  very many games because of his limitations. You also know he’s going to get hurt at some point, so that means there’ll likely be a truly replacement-level QB (like Johnson) under center for some snaps next year. I think, even with an improved roster, we’re probably looking at 5 or 6 wins with a Colt/Johnson QB group.

That puts us, at least, in prime position to make a move up the board for someone like Tua or Herbert. Add a QB of that talent level to a roster you’ve continued to build over the course of the next year, with all the additional comp picks and such to play with — and all of a sudden, you could really have something.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

i agree with all of this

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It should be McCoy. And I don’t care who the backup is, whether it’s Josh Johnson or someone else of that ilk. 

The way to build an Insta-Contender™️ in today’s NFL is to draft a gifted young QB and add him to an already mostly-built roster. This is, generally, what we’re seeing with the Rams, Chiefs, Eagles, and Bears at the moment. And possibly the Browns as well — they plugged Mayfield into an offense with a highly-paid veteran OL, two quality backs in Hyde and Chubb plus a really good receiving back in Duke Johnson, and a receiving group consisting of a major FA acquisition in Landry, a superstar talent in Gordon, and some great athletes like Callaway and Njoku. They put him in a situation where he could succeed immediately. The same was true of the rosters around Wentz (in his rookie year) and Goff/Mahomes/Trubisky (by their second seasons, at least).

Unsurprisingly, the other teams that drafted top 10 QBs in the last draft — who had much less talent, especially on the OL — saw those QBs flounder in their rookie season. At best, those teams have now wasted one of the affordable seasons they’ll get out of their new franchise QBs. To take maximum advantage of that cheap rookie QB contract, you want to build your roster and then add your QB. 

The Redskins’ roster is not yet built. In terms of the offense that a rookie QB would be plugged into, they absolutely need at least one more starting-caliber OL and a top WR who can run routes and create yards after the catch. They could also use some better interior OL depth and probably another TE to fill VD’s role, as well as some time for Geron Christian to develop into a playable NFL OT. That’s before you even get to the defense, where the back seven/eight obviously needs a lot of attention.

The right play is to take this offseason to improve the roster around the QB and go with McCoy. The nice thing about Colt is that we already have to pay him anyway, so going with him means no added cost. He’s not going to embarrass you, but he’s also not going to win  very many games because of his limitations. You also know he’s going to get hurt at some point, so that means there’ll likely be a truly replacement-level QB (like Johnson) under center for some snaps next year. I think, even with an improved roster, we’re probably looking at 5 or 6 wins with a Colt/Johnson QB group.

That puts us, at least, in prime position to make a move up the board for someone like Tua or Herbert. Add a QB of that talent level to a roster you’ve continued to build over the course of the next year, with all the additional comp picks and such to play with — and all of a sudden, you could really have something.

this requires long term vision which the redskins REFUSE to do.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

The issue with compensation picks is it requires you letting your talent walk. Crowder is better than Richardson, however we can not afford Crowder anymore because we overpaid the often injured Richardson. Letting Preston Smith walk is the right approach but then that opens up another hole unless we believe Ryan Anderson is suddenly going to take the next step. 

I’d like to draft our QB now. I really have no interest in continuing to delay the inevitable because next year will roll around and the same folks will be saying “next years QB crop is way better” because this literally happens every single year. Pick a QB, start Colt McCoy and re-sign Johnson. McCoy will get hurt, we all know this and then bring the rookie in. We have a second and two thirds to get a WR, TE and OG. Obviously this hinges on a QB being there and if there isn’t one then by all means BPA. 

We don't need a perfect OL if we draft Kyler Murray. Look at Seattle's OL. The excuses people will make to avoid drafting a QB. We have arguably one of the best LT's in the game, a top 5 draft pick at guard and a ton of money tied into RT. It's time. And of course we will waste all of that if we wait another year.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The issue with compensation picks is it requires you letting your talent walk. Crowder is better than Richardson, however we can not afford Crowder anymore because we overpaid the often injured Richardson. Letting Preston Smith walk is the right approach but then that opens up another hole unless we believe Ryan Anderson is suddenly going to take the next step. 

I’d like to draft our QB now. I really have no interest in continuing to delay the inevitable because next year will roll around and the same folks will be saying “next years QB crop is way better” because this literally happens every single year. Pick a QB, start Colt McCoy and re-sign Johnson. McCoy will get hurt, we all know this and then bring the rookie in. We have a second and two thirds to get a WR, TE and OG. Obviously this hinges on a QB being there and if there isn’t one then by all means BPA. 

We may be able to afford Crowder - mostly bc he coming off an inconsistent 2017 & a down 2018 - and we can have tge cap space to re-sign him once we cut or extend the necessary contracts to free up cap space like extensions for TWill, Kerrigan, Scherff and Reed; either a restructure or cut of Norman and cutting Mason Foster, VD, and McGee. That can free up $30 to $35 million in cap space. With that money, you can re-sign Crowder, Haha and PSmith if you want too and sign a guard like Spencer Long to a relatively cheap but not vet min contract.

And we can pick a QB, after we draft a FS, OLB, OG or WR in rounds 1 and 2. Get a guy like Cousins in the mid rounds and have Gruden, O’Connell and Rattay develop him, like Gruden and McVay did with Kirk and to a lesser extent Colt in 2014, 15, 16 and 17.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Keenum likely cut - anyone interested . Sure take him over J J . !

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/75102/Broncos-expected-to-release-or-trade-Keenum

No! What would be the point of this? Just tank already and stop trying to be mediocre. We won’t win a super bowl with Keenum and it makes no sense whatsoever to bring him aboard. Start Colt, draft Lock or Jones and get the rebuild jump started. You still have three picks within the first three rounds after pick 15 and that gives us more flexibility to draft OG, TE and WR. I’d use free agency to sign Shane Ray and rotate him with Ryan Anderson. 

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Say it with me again... COOLT McCOOY!!! As Lavar said, don’t try to improve the QB positon with a vet this year, go with Colt & a draft pick and take the top 10 or top 5 draft pick in 2020.

If so then this thread title should be changed to Who starts Week 2

Archived