Who is the game 1 starter?

TKellion

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I remember reports saying Snyder refused to talk with SF because Shanahan is their coach and he didn’t want to get embarrassed.

Once again something A Lot of US Disagreed with. Yet being though the conversation was never had, Turtle can't say the only thing The Redskins were gonna get for Cousins was a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Once again something A Lot of US Disagreed with. Yet being though the conversation was never had, Turtle can't say the only thing The Redskins were gonna get for Cousins was a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

That's not what I said. I said that’s all that was as reportedly ever offered for Cousins back before the 2014 season and Brice turned it down.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That's not what I said. I said that’s all that was as reportedly ever offered for Cousins back before the 2014 season and Brice turned it down.

Yet you tried to just ignore his value was way higher the year Kyle became the 49ers HC! The year a Competent GM who knew they weren't gonna keep Cousins here long term would've traded him away. Top potential trading partner his old OC who needed a QB for his new team. 

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet you tried to just ignore his value was way higher the year Kyle became the 49ers HC! The year a Competent GM who knew they weren't gonna keep Cousins here long term would've traded him away. Top potential trading partner his old OC who needed a QB for his new team. 

Dude. I'm just saying that happened or what was reported. I don't know why you’re getirng so crazy about it. I never tried to ignore Kirk’s value. You are totally misreading my posts. The last two posts I never said anything you claimed I said.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Dude. I'm just saying that happened or what was reported. I don't know why you’re getirng so crazy about it. I never tried to ignore Kirk’s value. You are totally misreading my posts. The last two posts I never said anything you claimed I said.

Maybe I did, but we both know Kirks value was more than a 3rd or 4th round pick before he left in Free Agency so I dont know why that was brung up. Maybe that was to let me know Dan\Bruce where so dumb they didn't even want him to be a Niner and never talk to them. If so ok, yet again something I disagreed with. Cool we disagree about signing Bridgewater but your post seemed pretty disrespectful IMO as though it's no way It could be done or you had some inside information on whats going on. Hey if you do let me know so the forum can help lead them back to the SuperBowl. 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, lavar703 said:

But still, I’m just blown away by the amount of local media people who keep saying “just roll with Colt”. How? How do you roll with a guy who gets hurt every single time he plays? Who plays QB once he inevitably gets hurt? Josh Johnson? I want nothing to do with any of the free agent QBs as they’re just a waste of time. I still stand by drafting a QB at 15 if one of the top 4 are available and I assume one will be but please god don’t go sign Fitzpatrick, Tannehill or trade for Dalton so we can go 7-9 again. 

I'm good with going with McCoy because I know he won't lead Washington to the promised land. He's mediocre at best, and poor at worst. Yes, this means the 2019 season is probably lost, but that in my mind is a good thing as it would hopefully lead to the removal of Allen and Gruden (and a valuable set of 2020 draft picks).

Ease off each other, folks.

If Washington decided that they actually wanted to bypass drafting a QB this year, going with Bridgewater makes the most sense. You have a guy who might be (to borrow @e16bball's simple but accurate grading scheme) a non-SB winning franchise QB. The big question is his injury history, but at $8M, it could be worth a gamble if that's what you want to do.

At the same time, even if he does come back from the injury and plays to his level, he's a non-SB winning franchise QB. So, maybe if everything else lines up, the team can get there, but is that worth building around? Is it worth allowing a mediocre coach to stay employed by the team? Is it worth allowing a soul-sucking parasite to stay as the president of the team? I would say no. I realize that likely means condemning the team to a horrible 2019 season, but sometimes you need to raze the house to the ground in order to build for a better future.

Washington needs the following (not in order) new starters at the bare minimum: QB, LG, WR, ROLB, ILB, CB, and S. I could easily add in a second ILB, a long term solution at TE (that's not on the roster right now), a second CB, and perhaps start planning to replace Williams and Moses at T. If you don't want to tie up money in Scherff, a RG as well (I would, but I can understand the argument against it). That's a lot of parts before the team can realistically be competitive.

As such, it really doesn't matter all that much who is under center in this coming season as it is not going to be a happy one. So, the first question: is the QB that is under center in week one part of the plan in 2020? 2021? It doesn't really matter if the name of the QB under consideration is McCoy, Bridgewater, or Johnson. None of them are long term solutions. That leads to question #2: is a rookie QB in 2019 going to be able to grow up with this team? I'm a bit dubious of that given the quality of the class.

Honestly, I would rather Washington skip getting a QB in the draft altogether and focus on fixing the other parts. My ideal draft would look something like:

1st - Devin White/(edge rusher(*))/(corner (**)) ... best wide receiver if all of the other options are exhausted
2nd - wide receiver/left guard/edge rusher (doesn't look like there will be someone there)/ILB (again, unlikely to find value) ... could easily be talked into Juan Thornhill here
3rd - left guard/wide receiver
3rd comp - best of what's still needed.

(*) Looking at mocks, that means either Montez Sweat or Jachai Polite.
(**) Again, based on mocks, that would probably mean either Byron Murphy or DeAndre Baker.

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/26133969/fantasy-football-15-things-learned-2019-nfl-combine

4. Derrius Guice, PPR machine? In speaking with Jay Gruden about Guice, Gruden expressed optimism about Guice being ready for 2019 and mentioned one of the things he really liked about him was, "He doesn't have to come off the field on third down." Gruden expanded on that, saying that though LSU never really used him in the pass game, the Redskins discovered last year in practice and OTAs that's he's a really good pass-catcher, and they will use him in that role this season.

Yay!

5. More Redskins: If Jamison Crowder leaves (he's a free agent), Gruden had nice things to say about Trey Quinn as potentially their starting slot wide receiver. Quinn dealt with a lot of injuries last season, but was super-productive at SMU. Gruden is excited to get Paul Richardson back (his eyes lit up when I brought up Richardson's name) but, like the rest of us, is hoping for more consistency from Josh Doctson. Also, when I asked Gruden if the Redskins' starting QB in 2019 was currently on the roster, he said yes, Colt McCoy, and once again expressed confidence in him. He said McCoy has just been unlucky, as he hasn't been able to stay healthy when he's gotten a shot before.

We are doomed...

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

We are doomed...

Depends on what your desired outcome is.

If it is for Washington make the Super Bowl next season, then yes, they're doomed. If it is for Allen to be fired (with Gruden becoming collateral damage), then that's not so bad.

I dont get why so many people hate on Gruden. I think he is a good coach. I will agree about Snyder and Allen though. What coach could succeed under those two? The only bad thing about having Gruden is losing Mcvay. Theres alot of franchises that would kick themselves in the *** for losing him to another team. That's one decision we really should have taken more time to think through but we can't blame that on Gruden.

They better decide on what they are going to do at qb before the draft gets here because without some luck it could get ugly in a hurry. Colt is a backup and nothing more, Josh Johnson sucks.

1 hour ago, Bo Duke said:

I dont get why so many people hate on Gruden. I think he is a good coach.

I think he's an adequate coach. However, he cannot adjust to the personnel he has, to the situation on the field (especially with regards to time), or step outside of his system. He's ... well, he's the Alex Smith of coaches: if everything is great around him, he's great, but he's not going to elevate the team much beyond what is there. Now, he does have a floor so he doesn't completely suck, but he's a JAG coach. Is that better than what Washington has had since Gibbs's return? Absolutely (yes, I'm including Shanahan in there because of all the drama). That said, if he has to get fired to lose Brice, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Since you're new here, you may have missed a point I made last season: Jay Gruden is now the 4th longest tenured head coach in franchise history. Only Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, and George Allen have had more games on the sidelines than Gruden has. At the same time, he's 17th in terms of winning percentage (out of 28), or 10th out of the 18 men who coached 20 or more games. Admittedly, of the Snyder era coaches, his winning percentage has only been bested by Turner (1999-2000*: 17-12 (0.586)), Schottenheimer (2001: 8-8 (0.500)), and Gibbs (2004-2007: 30-34 (0.469)), but that's because Washington has had some pitiful coaches during that same time frame.

Better than bad =/= good

Pretty sure Keenum will be the starting QB now. 

My guess is he'll have 3900 yards, 24 tds & 13 ints.

So basically, a step below what we used to get out of Kirk but, Keenum will take more risks which, may lead to more big plays at the end of games but may also lead to more horrible mistakes.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:46 PM, Woz said:

I think he's an adequate coach. However, he cannot adjust to the personnel he has, to the situation on the field (especially with regards to time), or step outside of his system. He's ... well, he's the Alex Smith of coaches: if everything is great around him, he's great, but he's not going to elevate the team much beyond what is there. Now, he does have a floor so he doesn't completely suck, but he's a JAG coach. Is that better than what Washington has had since Gibbs's return? Absolutely (yes, I'm including Shanahan in there because of all the drama). That said, if he has to get fired to lose Brice, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Since you're new here, you may have missed a point I made last season: Jay Gruden is now the 4th longest tenured head coach in franchise history. Only Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, and George Allen have had more games on the sidelines than Gruden has. At the same time, he's 17th in terms of winning percentage (out of 28), or 10th out of the 18 men who coached 20 or more games. Admittedly, of the Snyder era coaches, his winning percentage has only been bested by Turner (1999-2000*: 17-12 (0.586)), Schottenheimer (2001: 8-8 (0.500)), and Gibbs (2004-2007: 30-34 (0.469)), but that's because Washington has had some pitiful coaches during that same time frame.

Better than bad =/= good

If your HC can't help all players reach their full potential he doesn't need to be HC. Gruden is fit to be a coordinator IMO. He can reach some, but not the full room. 

Archived