The Browns have signed Kareem Hunt

49erurtaza

Just now, Forge said:

Obviously, with Dorsey having drafted Hunt, being familiar with him and probably willing to trust his word, I understand the signing. Given the roster and all that, I will admit that it's a weird sort of signing though, especially given that it's only for a single year. I am not surprised he was signed by someone, I am a little surprised that it was only for a year though, as weird as that sounds. 

He’s a RFA after this season, so the Browns hold his rights longer than a year if they choose. 

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Stick to football...

Will be interesting to see how the division of carries goes for Chubb and Hunt. Also interested to see if Hunt steals snaps from Duke Johnson. 

This doesn't make a lick of sense, to be honest.

I think it makes a ton of football sense. It gives them a great 1-2 punch, very similar to the Saints Ingram/Kamara. Both backs can run and catch out of the backfield. I think Chubb is a bit more of a bruiser, while Hunt is the more finesse back. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Hunt can line up at WR similar to Kamara. 

Just now, candyman93 said:

When you factor in his potential suspension, there’s no way Duke Johnson goes anywhere.

Agreed. 

I'm a little surprised that it's only for a year, as I said in my previous post, but I suppose if I think about it, I can understand it. The Browns are legitimately considered playoff contenders next year. Even if Hunt gets a 10 game suspension, it's going to be sick that the Browns can go into the stretch run and just plop a fresh legged Hunt into the lineup during lead up to the playoffs lol

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

He’s a RFA after this season, so the Browns hold his rights longer than a year if they choose. 

oh yeah, no doubt. I just thought that he was going to have to sign a longer deal at a minimal cost on his first contract back to be honest. If he comes in and balls out, if they tender him first round (possible), that's about 5 million. Second round, probably 3.5. Original round between 2-2.5, and I think original round will be open to poaching on a bigger deal because I think a team will be willing to part with a third rounder to sign him at that point. 

Just now, Dome said:

I don’t see this as a risky move at all at about $1m for the year 

Only risk involved is on the PR side. They'll have to weather the initial manure storm, but after all of that subsides. they'll have signed one of the top backs in the NFL for pennies. 

Dorsey isn't dumb. By the looks of that letter, this is something that has been in the works since Hunt was cut. I'm sure they're going to have Hunt lined up with 101 different PR moves to try and salvage his public image. 

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

WTF??..... Why? There's a negative chance he plays in the NFL next year.

I think there's a 100% chance that he plays next year now that he has signed. Before signing, I would have considered it a possibility. Not now.  I don't think they are suspending him for the season. He's going to get a suspension, no doubt, 6 games most likely, but even if he gets something like 10 (not sure why he would get 10, but we will just admit the possibility), there's no reason you don't play him if you're the browns after he has served his sentence. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think there's a 100% chance that he plays next year now that he has signed. Before signing, I would have considered it a possibility. Not now.  I don't think they are suspending him for the season. He's going to get a suspension, no doubt, 6 games most likely, but even if he gets something like 10 (not sure why he would get 10, but we will just admit the possibility), there's no reason you don't play him if you're the browns after he has served his sentence. 

From what I understand, there's no way he can play until the NFL finishes their investigation. Have they provided a timeline for said investigation? Do these things usually finish on time? After that, there is literally 0 chance he doesn't get suspended regardless if they find him guilty or not (lol). Can he practice while the NFL investigation is going on? If not, he's going to need time there also. I dunno, you're probably right and I'm being overly dramatic about it but I thought his punishment would be incredibly severe b/c of the NFL needing to get their image cleaned up a little bit....

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

From what I understand, there's no way he can play until the NFL finishes their investigation. Have they provided a timeline for said investigation? Do these things usually finish on time? After that, there is literally 0 chance he doesn't get suspended regardless if they find him guilty or not (lol). Can he practice while the NFL investigation is going on? If not, he's going to need time there also. I dunno, you're probably right and I'm being overly dramatic about it but I thought his punishment would be incredibly severe b/c of the NFL needing to get their image cleaned up a little bit....

The NFL is certainly slow about their investigations. Will depend on if he's still on the exempt list to open the season. Remember, Zeke played during the investigation before the suspension as he wasn't on the exempt list. KC put him on the exempt list, but then went ahead and released him, so I would think that at this point, the Browns would have to put him back on the exempt list. If they don't, I would assume that he can play during the investigation process prior to the suspension. 

13 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

I think it makes a ton of football sense. It gives them a great 1-2 punch, very similar to the Saints Ingram/Kamara. Both backs can run and catch out of the backfield. I think Chubb is a bit more of a bruiser, while Hunt is the more finesse back. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Hunt can line up at WR similar to Kamara. 

Kamara and Hunt are nothing alike as players, or as people.

Archived